Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: 2400 in the metal can

Banned

2400 in the metal can

Hello neighbors,

I found gentleman locally who was helping his neighbor's widow liquidate his estate. He has several cans of gunpowder. Some are metal cans of Bullseye but most are 2400. All are sealed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2400.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	269314

I bought a couple of cans of 2400. I broke the seal and then had to figure out how to pop it open! Ha!

I finally got around to shooting some through my chronograph. My favorite use is in my 1894CS. My normal load is 12.5 gr of 2400 under a gas-checked 180 gr WFN. This shoots a little over 1500 fps for me.

This new/old powder in the metal can shoots almost exactly 100 fps slower. Does this jive with your experiences? The loads are accurate and the ES is very low.

When I go out next I plan on bumping up the charge by .5 gr to see if I can match my standard load.

By the way, he has several more cans of 2400 and Bullseye. If you guys want some and can tell me how to ship it properly I can get it pass it on with no markup. All the money goes to the widow.

Steve in N CA

That's cool to use up old powder like that. I have a 3lb metal can of 2400 unopened I plan to get into this summer. I have heard there is a slight change in Formula sometime in the 70s but I can't remember/find where I saw that.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Grand Master

Unless your test loads with both the old 2400 a Alliant 2400 were loaded at the same time with the same cases, same lot of cast bullets, same primers and weight, verified charges 1000 fps difference is meaningless for comparison.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Buy it all and save it for later. Someday, you’ll be glad you did. As meant above, 100 FPS is meaningless- weather or altitude or a different gun can produce that much difference.

Boolit Master

I have a can each of Unique, Bullseye and 2400 just like that I plan to shoot up. All sealed.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.