Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 7.62x25 forming

Boolit Buddy

7.62x25 forming

So for you guys that have done it what did you find easier?

Converting 223/556 brass or 38 brass and why?

I have both and a lathe for doing it if need be.
    But i don't have the neck reamer if i go with the 223 case.

Where would I even buy that or just set a stop on the cross slide so I don't over shoot and make it to thin in the neck?

I have 700 starline I bought new and reloaded already but they were expensive and now due to the shortages there ars none around to be had anyways and I have tonage of 223 and !8 brass sitting here.

So anyways what worked the bezt and fastest cor you guys that have done it?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With quality brass from Starline being readily available, why would you go to all of that trouble if you value your time and effort any better than slave wages?

I order direct from them and have no trouble getting it. Your shortages must be local.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I converted about 100 38spl cases to 7.62 x 25 about 40 years ago when there weren't any commercial boxer cases made anywhere. It's not difficult if you shape a tool to remove the rim and cut an extractor groove in one swipe and a spud to slide the case on for your chuck. Then size and trim and you're done. Now that boxer brass is made, I won't make any more as it takes more time than it's worth. I made a few from 223 by cutting to approx length, sizing, opening inside of neck to proper size and outside neck turning but I didn't like the undersize base. My dad brought home a Tok from WWII and I started loading for it around 1970 using 30 mauser cases. I only had a few of those and they were very hard to find so I used 38spl but now that cases are being made, I wouldn't consider making any more. If I had to make them I would use 38spl but that is mostly because of the better chamber fit.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll have to google starlines site didn't know they had their own store.

I bought the last 700 from a retailer and it seems like everyone is out of stock on them.

So I figured if they weren't any harder the 300 blkout I'd give it a shot...... pun intended

I have two guns that run these and both are semis so the ammo goes fast.

I prefer to load a few K and be done with it not load 700 every time I wanna shoot.

ANywho thanks for the info on what to expect if I really really need to convert my own down the road.
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

Boolit Master

I have used 223 brass and found it heart breaking to loose one. I think that having to turn the rim down as on 38 SP brass would be a killer for me. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of the gun. I bought it for a song and the last ones I saw were $380 or so.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    Following this, interested in the same info and tips and once again staggered by the just go buy it advice dispensed in a case forming thread.

Boolit Master

60 lbs 223/5.56 brass = 40 lbs 7.62X25 brass+labor. Stated algebraically.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Well tonto, after you have made a couple thousand from 38spl, you may understand why folks are recommending buying rather than making 7.62x25. Many of us have better things to do than spend several hours making a hundred cases when they can be bought at a reasonable cost.

Boolit Mold
    I went the .223 route to form a few hundred cases for the Tokarevs and C96s. I found it enjoyable. Cut, form, and ream. Besides it gave some "me" time on cold, wintry nights.

Back in the mid-'90s I converted a number of .223s with a little work, but found 9mm Magnums easier to work with. The .223s had to be inside or outside reamed because the neck walls formed from rifle brass were too thick. The 9mm Mag cases didn't have to be neck reamed, but 9mm Mag cases are going to be hard to find now. (I still have a few ). All this work became unnecessary when Starline began producing 7.62x25 cases.

I did it, but I had a baggie of .223 Blanks which have thinner brass.

And I still struggled until I found the right bullet, the lee .314 truncated cone.
    I would crimp it with just the edge of the full sized boolit showing. The truncated cone fed well, and did not cause problems going into battery like some of the other designs did.

And then starlight came out with 7.62x25 brass and I went "Why would I mess with all that any more" I think I bought 250 pieces so I can afford to throw away half or so.

The ones I made had shorter necks and were harder to keep boolits straight.

But it was something to do, let me put a purpose to those blank cartridges.

Yes it can be done, but there are easier ways to get the same place. That being said I enjoyed the process, figuring out what it would take. Lots of little range trips to test.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!