MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Savage model 65M (.22 mag) bolt action ejector problems

Banned

Question Savage model 65M (.22 mag) bolt action ejector problems

Folks,

My first rifle, a Savage Model 65M (.22 mag bolt action) is having ejector problems. The ejector does not appear to be riding over the rim as is should. As a result the bolt will not go into battery as the ejector winds up pushing against the back of the rim instead of grabbing it. Even on that first range trip back in the 70s I recall hard extraction.

The ejector is not, as you would expect on an inexpensive rifle, a masterpiece of engineering. I wouldn't be bothering but this is the first gun I ever fired and I'd like to get it running again.

As much as I value it sentimentally, I don't keep wall hangers. Any advice would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5C2EB91-91F6-41FC-AF11-654DE7F639F0.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	269360 I hope this helps. I’m not familiar with that model, but it sounds like extractor problems since the ejector isn’t part of the bolt. Part #30 is the ejector. Google it- this schematic is from GunParts Corp.
    Last edited by Texas by God; 10-13-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a savage 65M --it has twin extractors in the bolt and an ejector that the bolt rides back over (same as shown in Texas's parts diagram) mine has done a good deal of work - its my go to pest gun around the farm unless something serious is afoot - function has been flawless the whole time I had it !!!
    I just checked mine a minute ago and by time the round is halfway fed from the magazine the extractors are clipped over the case rim - this thing works about as sweet as you could want.
    Mostly used Stirling ammo (cheap Phillipines stuff) but it has been fed Winchester and CCI - without any hassles

You may need to pull yours down and check out the bolt or see if there is some crud in the action blocking the extractors from slipping over the case rim - certainly something amiss !!