Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR ammo

Banned

.22 LR ammo

I don't really shoot all that much of it so haven't really been looking, but kinda figured we were back to it being unobtainable. Just went to get some little things at Orscheln's (similar to a Tractor Supply or Atwoods for those not from the Midwest) and they had a lot of the Aguila copper washed bulleted stuff, $39.90 a brick. It was up at the register to appeal to impulse buyers kind of like candy. So I bought a brick, jut because it's good to have some around.

Primers seem to be harder to find than .22 LR ammo this time around. The last time it was rimfire ammo, the time before that it was pocket pistol ammo, .380 and such. Don't understand why it's different stuff each time.

Boolit Master

Last time 17hmr was plentiful . Now it's not as much. Strang how these shortages can go.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

ADMIN

this is the reason people put stuff away for the winter.
    Farmers put hay in the barn to feed their animals.
    Hunters put meat in the freezers.

If we get past this craziness then I suggest that some of yall that purchase primers only when your low start buying them in small amounts to build up your stockpile. Same with 22lr ammo, 5.56 ammo.

True story, my Friend Wayne called me today and said he finally purchased the rifle he had been dreaming over for over a year.
    Originally the rifle was $1400 but he was able to pick the rifle up today on sale for $820 out the door.
    I huge discount on the original price.
    I asked him what caliber the rifle was in. 6.5 PCR.
    I asked what the heck is that?? He explained. I asked him how much ammo did he buy. None.
    So he has a expensive stick. I looked up ammo and if you can find it, its basically $2 a shot.
    Even brass is over $1.
    They don't need to take away guns if they make the ammo expensive

Banned

Had to look up what a 6.5 PRC is. Pretty obscure, made from brass from another one I didn't even know of .300 Ruger Compact Magnum (?)

Yeah, he didn't do himself any favors even if he's a handloader.

I don't shoot that much .22 LR, really have enough to keep me going a while at the rate I shoot, but I like to have some around and never know when I might get a whim to shoot my .22s more.

Boolit Master
    Some of us are prepared for the day when you can't by ammo of any type.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I'm not great on primers, maybe 6 months to a year depending. Maybe 3-4 years on 22s if I get an itchy trigger finger. I've been stocking up some, but starting over 5 years ago has made it tough to get all the extra.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Primers seem to be harder to find than .22 LR ammo this time around. The last time it was rimfire ammo, the time before that it was pocket pistol ammo, .380 and such. Don't understand why it's different stuff each time.
    Everyone is still sitting on a sizable stash of .22 from the last panic. Literally every shooter I know accumulated much more .22 ammo than they’d shoot in a couple years.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Had to look up what a 6.5 PRC is. Pretty obscure, made from brass from another one I didn't even know of .300 Ruger Compact Magnum (?)

Yeah, he didn't do himself any favors even if he's a handloader.
    Must be a regional thing.

My brother has a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. I was just at the LGS today looking at rifles and they had at least a dozen different rifles chambered in it. Plenty of ammo on the shelf as well. The other hot cartridge out here in elk country is the 300 PRC.

Ironically, this same LGS does not stock anything in .450 Bushmaster, nor do they sell ammo for it. When I asked if they had ammo for it, the guy behind the counter had never heard of it. It's all the rage in the Midwest, South, and Texas.

This is the group my brother got at 600 yds using his 6.5 PRC...

Attachment 269303
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Everyone is still sitting on a sizable stash of .22 from the last panic. Literally every shooter I know accumulated much more .22 ammo than they’d shoot in a couple years.
    Yeah, I stocked up on .22 after the last panic and haven't shot a .22 in over a year. I have enough .22 ammo to last me a decade or more.

I have enough powder and bullets to last at least a couple of years, but primers... Hopefully they become available again in a year or so.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yeah, I stocked up on .22 after the last panic and haven't shot a .22 in over a year. I have enough .22 ammo to last me a decade or more.

I have enough powder and bullets to last at least a couple of years, but primers... Hopefully they become available again in a year or so.
    I was in Salt lake city last year and ammo was so plentiful at one store they had pallets of the stuff. Even had .223 in half barrels never seen that anywhere else. They had federal 22LR bricks for 18.50$ I bought possibly a life time supply and I shoot a lot of 22LR. During the 22 shortage a couple years back 22 bricks around the house were 100$ if you could find them. I refused to buy any to reward the crooks selling it.

I knew that the election was going to screw up guns and ammo again so I bought plenty of lead, powder, and a decent stash of primers. I bought some brass for the calibers I reloaded at the time. But then I went and added a 300aac blackout upper and can't get brass for it unless I want to overpay for it. lesson learned I guess. Didn't expect the rioting and looting to push the liberals into buying guns all of a sudden either.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    .22lr has been hit and miss in my area. When I do find it the supply is low but the prices haven't been jacked up so far.
    Cargo

Banned
    I reload 22lr...I reload primers...I reload Berdan primed ammo. Make my own priming powder. I can laugh at the days to come.

I'll admit that I saw this one coming. And I saw that very few people were interested in .22mag.

So I have recently added 3 handguns in .22mag to my stable. And I have stashed about 3k rounds for them. I'm still buying .22 mag.

Handguns are in order of purchase.

Heritage Rough Rider .22lr/.22mag (bought 23 years ago, gave it to my daughter who is moving back to North Carolina)

Excel Accelerator .22mag semi auto, 10 shot magazines (ships with 2) Red Dot sight on top.

NAA Earl 5 shot hideaway revolver with 4" barrel. Most often heard comment " Its cute its so small" Yeah, if you think baby rattlesnakes are cute I guess.

Heritage Rough Rider 6.5" barrel cocobolo grips and adjustable sights. This one should be here in a day or 2.
    I find I really miss the old one.

A lot of people complain .22mag is expensive. Compared against .22lr it is. However it is also much more capable round.
    So if you compare it to what you would use if you did not have it. Like .30-30 ammo or 12 ga ammo it is IMO much more reasonably priced. It can still be found for .24 to .28 cents a round.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I never quite ran out of .22 ammo during the last shortage. When it started becoming available at decent prices, I started loading up. I would say I've got way more than I'll ever use. OR, maybe not.

Regards primers, back before Obama was elected, I saw the writing on the wall and loaded up on both primers and powder. I had just retired and anticipated doing a lot of shooting. Turned out, due to circumstances, I shot less. I'm well stocked with both primers and powder. Now I'm old and not shooting as much, especially rifles, so I'm stocked up for all I'll ever need.
    John
    W.TN

I would not expect 22 to escape the frenzy. I have seen plenty of avid shooters comment that with loaded commercial ammo and/or primers in short supply, they will switch some or all of their shooting to 22. Doesn't take much of that to upend the 22 market.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

I hadn't been using much 22lr stuff over the years, but have bought a ruger precision and another plinker last year. And I've got 4 bricks. not a lot, but plenty for the amount I shoot of it. plenty of powder, I did stock up, but not nearly enough primers dang it. and I did know better.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Just recently I picked up a MKII FVT to play with @ 50 yards.

Unfortunately the 10 bricks of ammo I had stashed away for years was all bulk ammo & cheap 'sale priced' bricks and none of it shoots well for trying to make small groups....it's plinker stuff as plinking goes.

Before the shortage began this spring I did find some affordable .22lr that doesn't do too bad, the sub-sonic CCI is fair stuff.

At least there's ways of making 'cheeeePo LR ammo' do a little better by either 'weight sorting' or 'measuring rim thickness' or a 'combination of both'...this way you can get some satisfaction and some decent practice, it's the practice that matters most anyway.
    You can make your own 'Jig' to fit the calipers for easy 'rim measurements'...made from a .243Win case.

or...if you can machine something, you can make a rim thickness block to measure with.

You can sort by any increments you want, all it takes is a little time. Being retired, I have plenty of time to Monkey'around in the rabbit'hole.

Or like I mentioned...sort by weight...the results are interesting and better overall than if you were shooting a mixed box of cheapo stuff alone.

Not very good stuff this 'American Eagle'...

But the fun is in the doing...50 yards with open sights or a peep system is very challenging especially with 70 year old eyes!
    these above were rim thickness sorted...that didn't help much at all.

But there's lots of variables involved, like the type of target with open sights...those targets get pretty small at 50 yards so I have been trying lotz of targets...so, even with 'funky ammo' you can get some good trigger practice and have an enjoyable afternoon anyway.

I like the assortment of the above 'shoot-n-see' because you can repair them with the extra little spots and run the same target over-n-over. They come in...errr, I mean the ones I ordered were from 2" to 6".
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    monkey wrangler- .330 BO brass is free around here, just need to shorten and size some of the .223 that seems to be lying everywhere.
    Loren

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    monkey wrangler- .330 BO brass is free around here, just need to shorten and size some of the .223 that seems to be lying everywhere.
    Loren
    There's videos on YouTube that show how to do the conversion. A cheap cut off saw from HF and a jig from Ebay and you're off to the races.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Some of us are prepared for the day when you can't by ammo of any type.
    Yeah, I haven’t bought any factory loads other than rimfire for a very long time.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast