Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pistols V Revolvers

Pistols V Revolvers

Kinda a generalized statement I know. I find that shooting my auto's generally to be a very fun and capable platform. To be honest ... if I could retrieve all or at least most of my brass ... this would be a total no-brainer.

I find that in a long range proposition ... the hands down favorite would be the revolver with a very fine trigger and 6 to 8 inch barrel combined with a generally good long range chambering. Hunting and small game is very high in my opinion. I like the deliberate mode of fire a revolver gives and while the auto works very well in this department (hunting) I hate with a vengence having to search around for brass. Generally the revolvers have taller sights for shooting at various ranges with precision. The revolver also has for me a better grip options for rubber recoil absorbing comfort so shooting hotter and heavier boolits in general hunting rounds. I am fond of revolvers in the guise of from cap-n-ball up through modern double action. I have a very much higher round count with revolvers ... BUT ...

Auto's are sooo fun. As long as I find myself in a shooting area with a paved or cement floor and sometimes a wall for the empty's to be corralled in ... then I find relaxing and fun as well as accurate shooting is a great time. HOWEVER ... if I go afield in search of table fair ... confidence is disturbed what with the certain knowledge that brass will be lost ... and for me leastwise ... I run on the ragged edge of being a poor boy ... continual purchase of brass seems very defeating to this shooter that reloads ALL my firearms to be enabled to shoot as much as I can without certain knowledge that while out walkin round ... every shot out there gets expensive with near total loss of brass. I really like the grip and general gentle recoil that does not detract from obtaining very fine accuracy with seemingly not a bunch of repeat practice. The grip frames generally feel perfect to me with an ergonomics that just fits. Then there is the possible confrontation with a group of bad guys [ oops PEOPLE] . The confidence in large capacity auto's is indeed a comfortable feeling. I have lived in and around tougher neighborhoods where the auto found its way on my person a lot of times.

Sooo ... that is my initial feelings and impressions of the subject. There is lots more points to be made ... but ... this is a start of a discussion on this subject.

Lotsa emotional points to be made but I think that I would like to hear others opinions on the old " REVOLVER V PISTOL " reasoning and stands. I would like to discover more options to the brass loss with auto's. Truely if I did not dread losing brass ... my auto's would find their way with me on woods walks.

First of all, they are all pistols, only some are revolvers.

Boolit Master
    id only have semi autos if i lived someplace sketchy or was a cop ect. blocky grip shape, brass everywhere, and handloads needing to meet several criteria to not jam are too much a deterrent for me.

especially the last one. i wanna be able to shoot whatever bullet design i want at whatever speed i want, thats the main reason i make bullets at all

Ted- My feelings are that they are both useful for different purposes, with some overlap. I'd be much more likely to carry a semi-auto for self defense against people, but a large caliber revolver for self defense against large hungry animals. The overlap is that either can be used for either purpose, but for people the semi-auto gets the nod because of large capacity magazines, and for animals the revolver gets my approval for such calibers as .45 Colt, .41 Mag., .44 Mag. Again, for hunting, one can hunt with a semi-auto, but the longer barrel lengths of revolvers made for that purpose are probably better to shoot accurately at longer ranges. So, I think you should choose the
    best tool for the job at hand.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe buy once fired brass? For the range possibly one of the pop up tabletop brass catchers? I haven't used one of the brass catchers yet but I've started window shopping for one.

In general I prefer revolvers but being in an urban environment quite a bit, a semi-auto is usually on the list for edc.
    Cargo

Let me see, I got 56 center fire handguns. 55 of them are Revolvers. 53 of them are S&W. One Colt 455 NS and one Ruger SBH 44mg. Rim fire handguns I own 9 revolvers , 7 S&W and 2 Ruger s-6s. and 4 autos, 2 S&Ws and 2 Hi standards.

I have one center fire auto, a Browning HP 9mm Target.

By old standards they would advertise Pistols & Revolvers. Pistol being handgun other than revolver. If I’m hunting you will find me with a revolver, from squirrel 22 to deer in 44mg.

You can call them whatever you want but pistol is correct for revolvers and self loading (semi-auto) hand guns and the old single shot guns (dueling pistol).
    The term "pistol" has been around longer than than either revolvers or semi-auto handguns.

I prefer revolvers in general. For self defense I carry a 1911 in 45 ACP. That negates the high capacity argument for me. I have carried a glock 22 some and I felt well armed. But I still feel well armed with my 1911.

I'd carry a revolver if I could conceal it. I don't mean conceal at Walmart, I mean conceal at hospitals and drs offices that have a no firearms sign. Under my law, if I carry on private property that has a no ccdw sign, I've not committed a crime. I, in theory could open carry there but places like U of L medical centers won't allow it.

I would like a J frame 38 for those places, but since I can conceal a 1911 I probably wouldn't carry it. I certainly ain't going to carry a snub nose 24/7 like I do my 1911. I occasionally carry a revolver at the house but I don't have any provisions for a reload so never carry one in town. Once I get a suitable reload options, then I may carry revolvers more.

I'm looking for a desantis 3x3 pouch for 44 caliber so I can carry my SBH. And a 2x2x2 so I can carry the GP100.

Boolit Master
    I have both and really enjoy both. My major observation is that for me, my revolvers are more accurate-- but it's not a huge difference. It could just be me, but I think the fact that the barrel is rigidly attached to the frame in my revolvers, instead of moving when fired, helps the accuracy.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I enjoy both but only have revolvers, all D/A, some reasons why

Generally more powerful calibers in revolvers. I like powerful revolvers.
    I reload and get all my brass back quickly.
    If and when you get a dud in a revolver you pull the trigger again and bang. Try that with a semi auto.
    Longer barrels available = longer sight radius.
    No magazines to loose or keep track of.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

I've chosen my revolver as a first firearm (A S&W Model 10-5) mainly for its renowned quality of craftsmanship, but also because of its relative simplicity. Sure, the innards underneath the side plate are full of tiny, hand-fitted pieces built to last a lifetime or more, but the method of operation is quite straightforward.

Trigger aligns cylinder and gives it a smack, bullet goes out, move onto next chamber. While it can't match modern designs in term of capacity, it's good to have its moving parts relying only on the springs within.

Lower pressure, less liable to vaporize my hearing in a life or death situation, not exactly concealable, but concealment won't matter much when it's happily resting at home.

I really like autos as well, with my short term experience with them, but my revolver is just the right size to take good care of.

Boolit Master
    Hey if the brass flying really bothers you that much you could always make or buy a brass catcher. Pistol brass doesn’t bother me but I did get one for my AR. I’ve seen them for pistols, and I think I might have plans some place to make one. If you’re interested shoot me a PM and I’ll see if I can find it
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Yep they’re all pistols. It’s revolvers v reciprocators.

Often I won’t shoot a reciprocator at an indoor range bc I don’t want to lose my brass. Usually that’s calibers like 10mm, 32acp or any I consider expensive brass. I don’t mind losing 9mm brass bc I literally have buckets of it. So I shoot my reciprocators at an outdoor range where I can police up my spent brass.

Revolvers are my favorite. Largely bc I can dump the spent brass right into my hand then directly into a box or bag without getting dust or debris on them. At the loading bench they flow straight into the resizing die already lubed with boolit lube residue. For brass that hits the ground there’s a washing and drying routine before loading. That coupled with brass loss does put a damper on the fun.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I tend to like single action revolvers more and more.
    Still like my autos though, mind you.

One thing I think, is I really like the way a revolver looks. I like the way some automatics look, to include a broom handled Mauser, High Power, 1911, Smith 39 series. Most of them though, not so much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    You can call them whatever you want but pistol is correct for revolvers and self loading (semi-auto) hand guns and the old single shot guns (dueling pistol).
    The term "pistol" has been around longer than than either revolvers or semi-auto handguns.
    The term pistol may have been around for longer, but I believe otherwise you are mistaken. Language morphs over time and we are all nit-picking, but technically the way I learned this years ago, pistols have the chamber and barrel as one unit. Therefor, all the single shots are pistols (well except the Ruger oddity from the 1960s in .256 Winchester)
    and all semiautos are pistols. But revolvers are revolvers. That is why you had titles of books like Pistol and Revolver Digest.

Most everybody calls them all pistols, though.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

I do not mind at all when shooters who shoot before me use autos and don't find all their brass, or don't want it. I am pretty good at crawling around to find my own. I am learning to like a revolver at the moment . It was not like at first shot.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post

I am learning to like a revolver at the moment . It was not like at first shot.
    My wife fought tooth and nail against buying a revolver. I kept telling her we needed to start loading our own so I bought a few wheelguns and a 77/357 in Feb and a week later she decided she'd buy a little J frame. About a week later she went to pick up chinese food and came home with a beautiful 10-8 lol I started reloading in March and ammo pretty much dried completely up. We jumped in just in time before the run on components hit. I won't be without a revolver and a matched carbine again.

BTW, that little J frame now gets more carry time than her Shield.
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master
    Use the right tool for the job.

That depends on your needs and abilities.

I carry a Glock most of the time but I know how to clear a jam. Weaker and/or less experienced shooters may be better off with a revolver.

I prefer a revolver for target shooting and plinking so I do not need to chase brass.

I do not hunt with a pistol.
    Don Verna

I like them all except the ridiculously big and heavy ones. And if they aren't accurate enough to get me a meal, they go down the road. I'm rural, I have killed a squirrel with a Raven .25 auto( I couldn't find the brass)

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast