RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pistols V Revolvers

Boolit Master
    As long as I was a two-hatted LEO/grunt, and a competitive shooter/firearms instructor under both hats, I have enjoyed shooting both designs just about equally. Given, the revolver was my go-to for Siluetas Metalicas and the auto for Steel Challenge and bowling pins, but on the whole I can switch-hit with ease. On duty, my LEO sidearm went from 4" M29 to 1911 to 5" M27 to 5" XD45 (love the light rail and 13-rd mags) to 4" M625-8JM (love the moon clips and the way two of them fit in a speedloader pouch), and my GI beltgun from my beloved 1911 to the cordially despised M9, the adoption of which delayed my Distinguished badge for about three extra years, but since when I had to carry in BDUs it was counter-terrorist or ammo shipment security, and not subject to Geneva protocols, and it was a while after Speer came out with the Gold Dots, so I was never undergunned with the 'subcal' boolit launcher. I can identify with the brass-chasing aspect of shooting the autos, especially since Father Time has seen fit to interdict my bending over, but two things help me with that: one, I bought a nut-gatherer that works great on ejected brass, and two, I have carte blanche where I shoot and usually either pick a spot of hardpan or stake down a tarp to help me find the little boogers. I also keep a battery powered weed eater and leaf blower in the pickup and if a yardage consideration puts me in the vegetation, I just do a little scorched-earth ground clearing before staking out the tarp and erecting the pop-up. Diverging slightly, I have bought a couple of Caldwell velcro-on net brass catchers for the ARs, but have not tried them out yet. I'm hoping one of those will help with the .44 brass from the DeerStalker.
    Hope this helps, Ed <><

All interesting reading. Thank you one and all for your position, drathers and personal opinions.

Myself ... my auto's outnumber my revolvers ... leastwise in cartridge guns. If every weapon is counted, then revolvers far outnumber my auto's.

I like and am proficient with every weapon in my stable. Were I my enemy, I would tread softly around me. BUT, having said this ... I still would be perfectly comfy with either weapon style in my hands when in a tight spot.

I have practiced high stress shooting with both styles and believe my talent and attack posture would be just slightly different with an auto compared to a revolver. I have confidence in both systems ... however ... I have found myself in positions where no question a stout revolver is my choice 100% of the time. You never breath so clearly nor think so fast then when in close proximity to a thousand pound bear that is snapping his jaws and snorting gobs of snot in anger at being disturbed. No auto would be found in my possession under ANY circumstance where this scenario is possible. You gotta know that these huge predators can and have absorbed a ton of punishment before laying down for good. Also weather is considered where this is possible.

Any rate ... a full house 300+ grain load in a 4 inch 44 Mag model 29 or Redhawk are no fun to practice with 2 or 3 times a week for the time spent in old grizz back yard. They hurt and worth every ounce of horse power when the need arrives.

Love the passion of all reply's found here. Don't stop and do keep em comin.

Boolit Master
    A time and a place for both!

I ranch and farm. There, the revolver reigns supreme!

In town I can go with my SP 101 or my Kel Tech PF9

I like the flat sided auto for it’s easy carry. I like the 357 SP 101 for the added power.

At home on the ranch, there is nothing like my 629 MG in .44 Mag, unless it’s the 7.5” Redhawk or that SRH of the same length in the 480.

I think a shooter just needs to gravitate to what they really like. They will likely have to shoot several guns to that “one” that tickles their fancy and still have to buy some more than one and develop their opinions as it comes to them and then carry as they are allowed by law and personal preference.

I am glad we are endowed with so many choices.

Lets fight like hell so it stays that way, our enemies and not amongst ourselves.

Viva the 2A

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    My preferences are as follows:

I like a small 5 shot snubbie in 38+ for carrying in the vehicles and on my person.
    For home protection my choice is a DA semi auto with an exposed hammer. These remain loaded with the hammer down.
    Target shooting - either
    Hunting - revolvers

It’s nice we still have so many choices
    East Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    My preferences are as follows:

I like a small 5 shot snubbie in 38+ for carrying in the vehicles and on my person.
    For home protection my choice is a DA semi auto with an exposed hammer. These remain loaded with the hammer down.
    Target shooting - either
    Hunting - revolvers

It’s nice we still have so many choices

I agree with one correction. I want a full size semi auto in the car since it is easier to conceal there. Thinking about the possibility of getting stuck in a “mostly peaceful “ protest. I might need more than 5 rounds very quickly.

Boolit Master

How do you choose? I never gave it much thought. I like them both. I can see arguments extolling the virtues of one over the other for specific things, but one being inherently better than the other in general and as a whole? Not buying it.

As to brass, I shoot at an outdoor club range. I can typically pick up all the 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, and .380 brass I'll ever need. If I don't find the auto brass that I shot in any given day, no big deal. It's cheap and plentiful. I always come home with more than I shot.

Revolver brass, on the other hand, is a scarce commodity. It's rare to find any rimmed brass at the range: 38 Special occasionally, but anything else is exceedingly rare. One old timer that I was talking with at the range one day told me that revolvers are not near as scarce at the range as the levels of range brass might indicate, it's just that revolver shooters are "cleaner". Their brass is on the bench in front of them, so if they don't reload, they just pick it up and toss it in the dumpster with any other garbage. I wish they were a little less neat and tidy, and just leave it for us reloaders.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    By far prefer a revolver to the autos but have, carry and use both .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I like revolvers! I have 2 that count here one a S&W M19 , one a 642 no lock. The 642 is a daily carry at times. The 19 is my woods gun. Both get shot mostly with wadcutter loads.

Mostly since my Department went to autos I and my family carry semi-autos. My son who is 33 years old does not own or want a revolver. He has big hands and uses a Glock 17 for carry.

My wife uses a Glock 26 and like it the best. Her choice

Mostly I carry a Glock 26. I carry Glock 17 mags as back up.

My job changed to semi-auto in the 90's so I had no choice. Now I do after training in semi-auto go that way. More rounds and more on target helps keep us even with evil IMHO

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234