Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: disturbing lack on info on 10 ga stuff

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Are there 10 ga. magnums?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I would say “kinda”. From my reading the old black powder stuff was 2 7/8” shells. All the modern is 31/2”....someone correct me if i got my pea brain twisted on this! LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elginrunner View Post
    I would say “kinda”. From my reading the old black powder stuff was 2 7/8” shells. All the modern is 31/2”....someone correct me if i got my pea brain twisted on this! LOL
    The simplest thing for you to do is call RST they commercially load 10 gauge 2 7/8” SMOKELESS that they say are safe . Granted you need to ascertain if your gun is safe to shoot anything be it black or smokeless . I got my load from Ross Seyfried thirty years ago atleast the 7625 load . He was using it in a damascus barreled W&C Scott hammerless back action 10 identical to one I have . Actually 30 grains of SR7625 with 1 1/4 ounces of shot is pretty mild . Probably not as hot as the RST factory loads . I also have a bunch of 10 gauge factory 2 7/8” shells that are loaded with smokeless . So no not all the short ones were black . But by no means should you do as I do if you’re not comfortable with it , I mean this stuff is for enjoyment so if it bothers you stray to the side of caution by all means .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Ten mag doubles ? Sure Ithaca made 500 or so back in the 20’s to 40’s , Parker made a few . And of course there were plenty Spanish ones and Italian ones as well as a decent number of Brit made .

Boolit Master
    Back in the 50’s PO Ackley I believe it was had an article in “The American Rifleman” he took four like new 12 gauge Parker shotguns all hammerless but two were fluid steel and two damascus . He started out shooting all four with moderate smokeless loads and then loaded hotter and hotter each go round . He split or bulged the two fluid steel barrels but the damascus were still fine . He went a few more shots with the damascus guns and decided he’d had enough I believe he cited recoil as his reason . By no means am I trying to talk anyone into doing anything they don’t wish to , but I can tell you point blank I load smokeless for a large number of damascus and twist steel doubles in 8 , 10 , 12 , 16 and 20 gauges . I can also tell you there are a large number of folks that shoot fine old damascus and twist SxS’s in competition no less and for hunting that either load their own smokeless shells or buy RST’s .

Boolit Master
    Double Gun Journal has some real good 10 ga. Loads listed from time to time. Parker Shotgun website does too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12