RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 500 jrh

500 jrh

I am thinking of getting a Bfr in 500 jrh and wanted to know what is the max nose length for the bullets. I can find some reload info but nothing mentions oal of a loaded round. I am wanting to order my bullet mold but am not sure what nose length will fit, all help is appreciated.

Banner Sponsor

The Cylinder on my BFR 500 JRH is 1.848"
    I bought new Starline brass from Jack Huntington, it measures 1.395"
    When I first started loading for it, I cut down 500S&W brass to 1.400". They seemed to work just as good as the Starline brass. After I got the Starline brass, I put the cut down S&W cases in a baggie to save for later.
    The Lee 440 is a good mold for the JRH. As close as I could measure, the nose on it measures .4"
    If you are going to order a custom mold, I would leave the nose length at .400" to allow room incase you have a bullet jump the crimp from recoil.
    Speaking of recoil... The 500JRH can generate some. I would suggest starting with more moderate loads and work up to what ever is manageable for you. You don't want to start out in a love/hate relationship with your new beast.

I had a 500gn mold cut for mine years ago, but the bullet was too long and bulged the sidewall of the cases just enough that it wouldn't chamber.

I had mine done at the custom shop years ago before it was a standard catalog item. Mine started as a 50AE. I had them put an octagon barrel on it.

Thank you, and that is a sweet looking revolver. One other question what type velocity and accuracy are you getting with the shorter barrel. I am wanting the 5.5” as well.

Banner Sponsor

Accuracy? I am starting to get old man eyes and have a hard time keeping the sights and target in focus. When I first got it, I could regularly hit clay pigeons set up on the 100yd berm.
    I load the 440 Lee to around 1200fps with IMR4227.
    If you want to, you can push them over 1400fps, which beats what a 475 Linebaugh can do.
    One thing I like about the slower load is it's lower pressure also, so it doesn't ring my ears as bad when I shoot something without hearing protection in while hunting. That's one of the reasons I prefer the 45Colt over the 44 Mag.
    With John Linebaugh's guns, he recommends to keep a light film of oil on the base pin and at the back and front of the cylinder to act as a hydraulic buffer. That way the gun won't shoot itself loose.

I know the old eyes feeling. I am going to top it with an Ultradot , I like it much better than open sights or a scope for hunting.
    It may get a few upper end end loads but the majority of it I plan on being in the 1000-1200 FPS range. Was looking at a couple of Accurate Molds like the 50-441B and the 50-440B as candidates. Thanks again.

Banner Sponsor

Both of those look great.