RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Any Henry Single Shot owners here

Any Henry Single Shot owners here

I知 looking for a mold for my Henry single shot 45-70. I壇 like to keep it trapdoor levels to around 1200 - 1300 fps. I do have IMR 3031 and Accurate 5744 powders which are good for cast bullets. Maybe a 405 grainer. My rifle slugged in at .459 so I値l be looking for something that値l throw a .460-.461 bullet. I壇 like to hear from folks that have this rifle as I知 interested in hearing any info that might point me in the right direction.
    Burch
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I am just getting into 45-70 so am not experienced as far as shooting. I have been looking for a Springfield trapdoor - had one bought and the deal fell through. So - now I am looking at a Henry single shot quite seriously so I can shoot both BP and smokeless. That said -

I was looking for a mold and I ended up picking up a Lee .459-405 HB mold. I just happened to run a cross one that was NIB and when I finally get a Henry, the will be the first one I will be trying out. It casts a hollow base bullet = as the original 45-70 bullets were - when I say hollowness - don't think of it as being like a minie ball where the base expands to fill the bore/rifling. The mold casts a hollow base which has thick skirts and the intensity of it hollow base was to stabilize the boolit. Another mold that i picked up is a Lyman .457-193 which casts a plain base 405 grain flat nose. I son't think the lube grooves are sufficient enough for Bp loads but should work fine with smokeless loads.

As I said - I am just getting into it and like you, I'm not looking at pushing them hard - I am more wanting to just play with the cartridge in BP and then some smokeless loads as well. One that I want to try is a 405 grain with Red Dot. While I wanted a trapdoor for doing the
    BP loads, I can have just as much fun with a Henry single shot that I can shoot both P and smokeless in. I no longer hunt and am just looking at a "fun gun".

At this point, the gun shop I use can't get one so I imagine it will be a wait and a while before I can get delivery on one.

I have not cast with either mold yet to see what they will actually drop at. The Lee is marked .459 and I'm guessing that it will all depend on what you cast with. I normally keep pure soft lead on hadn't for my BP loads in other cartridges and just use "range lead" for the rest of my loads.
    Someone with much more experience than I will come along I'm sure but just thought zi would mention the two molds that I was able to find. It will be interesting to see what suggestions you get for your Henry. Good luck and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I am just getting into 45-70 so am not experienced as far as shooting. I have been looking for a Springfield trapdoor - had one bought and the deal fell through. So - now I am looking at a Henry single shot quite seriously so I can shoot both BP and smokeless. That said -

I was looking for a mold and I ended up picking up a Lee .459-405 HB mold. I just happened to run a cross one that was NIB and when I finally get a Henry, the will be the first one I will be trying out. It casts a hollow base bullet = as the original 45-70 bullets were - when I say hollowness - don't think of it as being like a minie ball where the base expands to fill the bore/rifling. The mold casts a hollow base which has thick skirts and the intensity of it hollow base was to stabilize the boolit. Another mold that i picked up is a Lyman .457-193 which casts a plain base 405 grain flat nose. I son't think the lube grooves are sufficient enough for Bp loads but should work fine with smokeless loads.

As I said - I am just getting into it and like you, I'm not looking at pushing them hard - I am more wanting to just play with the cartridge in BP and then some smokeless loads as well. One that I want to try is a 405 grain with Red Dot. While I wanted a trapdoor for doing the
    BP loads, I can have just as much fun with a Henry single shot that I can shoot both P and smokeless in. I no longer hunt and am just looking at a "fun gun".

At this point, the gun shop I use can't get one so I imagine it will be a wait and a while before I can get delivery on one.

I have not cast with either mold yet to see what they will actually drop at. The Lee is marked .459 and I'm guessing that it will all depend on what you cast with. I normally keep pure soft lead on hadn't for my BP loads in other cartridges and just use "range lead" for the rest of my loads.
    Someone with much more experience than I will come along I'm sure but just thought zi would mention the two molds that I was able to find. It will be interesting to see what suggestions you get for your Henry. Good luck and enjoy!
    Lee makes a Postell bullet mold 459-500r. I use it for my BP load and it’s very accurate
    Josey Wales

Boolit Master
    May I suggest using lighter boolits in
    lighter weight rifles?

Powder coating and paper patching allow
    the use of 45 ACP type boolits, since either
    method will enable you to bring the diameter
    of the boolit up to .460. There are lots of
    threads on this site with the 'how to'.

While it's a short range proposition, a 200 gr
    SWC, patched or coated is instant death to
    Ohio ground hogs. And don't forget the
    'collar button' boolit used by the troops of
    the day for indoor practice.

Talk about fun -- these will touch your giggle button!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	275996

Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    May I suggest using lighter boolits in
    lighter weight rifles?

Powder coating and paper patching allow
    the use of 45 ACP type boolits, since either
    method will enable you to bring the diameter
    of the boolit up to .460. There are lots of
    threads on this site with the 'how to'.

While it's a short range proposition, a 200 gr
    SWC, patched or coated is instant death to
    Ohio ground hogs. And don't forget the
    'collar button' boolit used by the troops of
    the day for indoor practice.

Talk about fun -- these will touch your giggle button!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	275996
    I’ll be needin some boolets for deer hunting in Ohio next year.
    Josey Wales

I’d like to have that Lee HB mold but you can’t find it anywhere. The Lyman molds always seem to throw under sized bullets.
    Josey Wales

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Burch - you might keep an eye out for on on flea-bay as I have seen them on there in the past. Right now, with the shortages of everything, I'm sure the price would be inflated. I haven'g got to where I can cast any yet - I have to get my reloading bench re-built as I'm going to a heavier single stage press and need a more sturdy top. You might put a "want to buy" in the classified section here and see if one turn up - you never know what someone might have laying around. Or, post a WTB for some already cast up to try.

I was interested to see what your bore measured at - agree with you on the car shoot on Lyman molds at times as to what they will drop at. Like I said, the 45/70 is new to me. I have often wondered though why Lyman/Ideal molds are .457 when so many of the 45/70 bores run more than that.

If you could find some fo the Lee .459-405 HB to try and they worked well for you, you could always have Tom at Accurate cut you a mold for them. I know that he makes hollow base molds but does not make the base pins so you would have to have one made. Depending on the OD of the base pin needed, you might be able to take a piece of round stock and make it using a drill press, files, etc. if you don't have access to a lathe or there are fellows on here who could make you one.

I know you are looking for deer hunting, but FredBuddy offers a good suggestion to load for lighter weight plinking/small critter loads. Even if a person couldn't find a mold during times of shortage or didn't want to fool with casting, etc. - there are several vendors here that I believe cast up 45ACP boolits that could be paper patched or coated to work for the light weight plinking loads.

I will keep my eyes open and if I run across one of the Lee .459-405 HB molds, I'll shoot you a PM.