Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: HP mold conversions ?

HP mold conversions ?

I was curious, is there anyone out there that will take your mold and convert it to a hollow point and not cost an arm and a leg?

Boolit Master

You would be better off buying one from MP or NOE than converting another mold to it. From what I've seen its about $100 for the conversion, unless someone from this site can do it cheaper. So you can buy a new mold for that. IMHO.
    http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    You would be better off buying one from MP or NOE than converting another mold to it. From what I've seen its about $100 for the conversion, unless someone from this site can do it cheaper. So you can buy a new mold for that. IMHO.
    http://www.hollowpointmold.com/
    I agree with KungFuStyle, better to buy the mold new configured for HP than convert.

I’ve heard great things about Erik’s work (site listed above) but, with the cost, unless the mold has some sort of sentimental value your better off buying new. Sell the old one if you need funding to buy the new one. Depending on make and model you might even find someone willing to trade you mold plus a little for a use MP or NOE.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yep, you can buy a mold for the what the above quoted prices for a conversion. Get in on our group buys.

Yep, Eric has done several molds for me. Good guy, great work @ a fair price & quick turn around. yes you can buy a HP mold but you will only get what they want to sell you. A conv allows you to get the mold you want.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

When it comes to 'conversions to HP' there's only one guy I'd deal with.

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ , erik@hollowpointmold.com

The work he has done for me was unique, not your standard conversion. It took a lot of talking about the configurations I wanted and why and he was there to explain things and make suggestions. Prolly 5 or 6 e-mails and two phone conversations over a 2 week period before I decided.
    Erik is an experienced & knowledgeable machinist, his work is exemplary.

This is one combination mould he modified that will cast two mould profiles in 6 different weights and HP configurations...3, 4 & 5 pin-sided HP's. It is for experimenting with different size, weights and shapes, when I'm ready to experiment with round type cavities, all I have to do is send the mould back and he can create whatever I want for pin-sets then.
    You can't put a price on professional service like this...

I don't think you can talk about HP moulds and use the phrase 'not cost an arm and a leg' in the same conversation unless you find a deal on a used mould.

Some moulds have pins that connect into the cavity from the bottom of the mould so that'll require a modified mould rest...I don't own any of that type because of that one detail there.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

NOE is the only company that currently sells good hollow point molds at a reasonable price. There are a few Lyman molds, but I don't like them. I've never had an MP, the guy takes years to make them, and he never seems to have anything I want in stock.

For conversions, Erik is the only good option I know of. He does great work.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    NOE is the only company that currently sells good hollow point molds at a reasonable price.

I've never had an MP, the guy takes years to make them, and he never seems to have anything I want in stock.
    NOE is the not the only one and you even mentioned the other one. Just because you don’t have one doesn’t mean others don’t. I have waited quite awhile for one. But I’ve also been able to buy them quickly and have it only take a week or so get across the Atlantic. You don’t put any money out up front so you’re not losing anything w/ the wait.

When it comes to in stock molds NOE can be just as bad. They have an even larger selection and most of them out of stock. I’ve had to go other places because molds have been out of stock at both of them.

This is just my personal opinion, the NOE HP molds suck to use. They aren’t we easy as a Cramer style mold like Miha makes. I will say I’m spoiled since I have a lot of them. I sold off the one NOE HP mold I bought in short order. It’s one of the few molds I’ve ever sold because I don’t get rid of them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    NOE is the not the only one and you even mentioned the other one. Just because you don’t have one doesn’t mean others don’t. I have waited quite awhile for one. But I’ve also been able to buy them quickly and have it only take a week or so get across the Atlantic. You don’t put any money out up front so you’re not losing anything w/ the wait.

When it comes to in stock molds NOE can be just as bad. They have an even larger selection and most of them out of stock. I’ve had to go other places because molds have been out of stock at both of them.

This is just my personal opinion, the NOE HP molds suck to use. They aren’t we easy as a Cramer style mold like Miha makes. I will say I’m spoiled since I have a lot of them. I sold off the one NOE HP mold I bought in short order. It’s one of the few molds I’ve ever sold because I don’t get rid of them.
    I don't have any issues with NOE hollow point molds. I have one 230 gr HP 45 caliber mold that is an absolute joy to use. I do have a couple Cramer style HP's, converted by Erik. There is no doubt they are the cream of the crop. Still, given the option of a $110 NOE, or paying $150 to have an existing mold converted, the difference in casting might not be worth the price.

As for MP, sure you don't put money down, but you are expecting a product. I've given him more chances than he deserves, and he just brushes me off. I've tried to buy from his inventory, but I've yet to see a good mold in stock. On the other hand NOE always seems to have what I want, I've been able to buy at least a dozen of his, and have never had to wait more than a week. Buying from MP, I wouldn't expect to see a mold within 2 years, which is completely unacceptable.

Erik is the best, period. Yes, you can get them cheaper but if you have a unique mold, he is your man.
    He had done some work for me and I found him to be the best.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.