WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another shortage- lantern mantles

Boolit Master

Back in the mid 1960s, my folks bought a cab over camper. The lights were mantle type and the windows were louver type, never had to worry about fresh air as those windows were not made to seal well. Mom always had more mantles in the drawer, Dad had more in the truck. He used the old Coleman on the job site when finishing concrete and the sun was fading. Memories, good times, Dad will be 81 this month, Mom turned 81 last spring, have to go see them this week.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

In response to the "if you're lucky" comment.

I've actually had better shipping, tracking, and quality with Chinese manufacturers than American resellers.
    Over a the last decade of doing business with the original manufacturers of too many items, only one shipment didn't arrive.
    That was placed the week before China shut Wuhan due to Covid.

Boolit Master
    This time of year, I sit out with my dog after our sunset walk. I always light a Coleman lantern. I burn white gas (naphtha). Expensive, but I can put the lantern away for years without gumming it up. Dog loves the lantern hiss, as I. It’s a relaxing time for us both.

Boolit Master

Thanks for this thread! Reminded me to check mantle supply for my Coleman kerosene lanterns...I was down to only a few & deer camp comes up next month. They aren't quite as "bright white light" as propane or white gas lanterns but I like being able to get 5 gal K-1 for $29.99 and run lights for the whole camp & still have some left over after 2 weeks.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    Part 3. After returning home I fired it off again and set it out in the yard while I worked on the trailer (that’s a different story). After a spell I looked over and had fire coming out the side and a bit of raw fuel at the collar on the base. I turned it off and it went out relatively quick. Once it cooled down I pulled it apart and tightened up the generator base nut a quarter of a turn. Either I didn’t tighten down enough to begin with or the heat/cool cycle loosened it up a bit. After relighting it went for a half an hour with no further problems.

I’m glad this is bringing back memories for everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    I looked over and had fire coming out the side and a bit of raw fuel at the collar on the base. ...
    They usually only do that when little kids are around.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Anyone have a Petromax lantern? Sort of complicated but super bright.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201021164540_IMG_0073.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	269881I got one!
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

Banned
    I have a strong connection with pressurized kerosene stoves & lanterns. They are great devices.

As for the alleged shortage of mantles due to the, I guess ...pandemic? I'm not sure one employee at one Wally World has her finger on the pulse of the U.S.A. mantle supply chain and trends.
    Pressurized lanterns in general are not exactly mainstream anymore; I'm almost surprised when I find parts for them in retail stores. Fortunately there are plenty of sources for lantern parts.

For the wick type Aladdin mantle lamps, I had one store that still carried a few parts for them but I think I was their only customer. Even that source has dried up but I don't think the current political climate had anything to do with that.

Boolit Master

Ron, compared to other lanterns, think Petromax is worth the cost? Have one and kind of hard to use vs coleman or just plain old kerosene ones...
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

On some of the oil lamp blogs, folks are in a panick to find Aladdin mantles and wicks for the old Rayo lamp. Not a big fan of Aladdins but have plenty of the Rayo type center drafts and ample stock of original wicks. Will not be without light and heat when they decide to turn off the electricity.....

Boolit Buddy
    One of many sources for Aladdin lanterns etc. : https://www.lehmans.com/product/alad...ABEgJf2_D_BwE#
    Gotta love those 'used' stores in non-tourest areas. Yard sales are good hunting grounds for all kinds of 'liquid fuel' devices since many don't like the 'stinky'!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Banned
    I love the old gear.
    It takes time to learn the techniques to run the old stuff and a lot of people just don't want to invest that time.
    It doesn't surprise me in the least that the parts are disappearing from retail establishments but I doubt that is due to the current situation. The sales of those parts wasn't exactly "robust" before all of this madness started.

No Mantles Needed Here.

This was wired by a friend. It hangs in my garage.

I used to have a problem with collecting everything coleman, including mantles.

At one time I had over 80 lanterns hanging from the barn's rafters.

Boolit Grand Master
    Need to order some.
    Also need to order the pump rebuild kit.
    I have four lanterns.
    Three unused surplus from civil defense tunnels.
    Two gas stoves.

Boolit Buddy

10X. I got one at a antique Mall for $50.00 but it was gum up from old lamp oil. If you use plain kerosene, you must pre heat longer. I use a mix of 75% K1 and 25% mineral spirits. Ron.
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Something that's still out there is the wick type kerosene lamps.
    I've got a couple 'pretty' ones for when the power goes out, and use the scented lamp oil for them.

I'd also gotten a few of the old Dietz ones like you see in Western movies years ago.
    They say they still use the 150-odd year old stamping molds for making their new ones.
    They're not as bright as a Coleman, but they're handy for camping or fishing, and almost no hassle to use.

I use them outside where the stink isn't an issue.
    I'll run them on grocery store charcoal lighter fluid, that anti-mosquito oil stuff for 'tiki' torches,
    and in a pinch--- if there is a breeze blowing,,,,,, even Diesel fuel.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Ron, wow, you got a deal, deal. Have heard of using a mix, no flare ups or funky smell?The pre heat is a major pain and it can soot up in a new york minute. Will be my last resort lantern.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW

Boolit Buddy

10X , No flare ups and no smell. It's a outside lamp. I use 91% Isopropyl alcohol for preheating.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    Do they still make wick type lanterns????
    Seems those would be much better than the mantel type.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast