Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another shortage- lantern mantles

Boolit Master

Another shortage- lantern mantles

In preparation of an upcoming trip with our 5th wheel I decided to pull my old Coleman lantern off the shelf, clean it up and get it back into working order (a model dual mantle 288 for those who need the details) The cleanup went well, the 10+ year old fuel poured out, but now it was time for the consumables. The local Wally World had a couple of cans of fuel on hand but no mantles. The nice worker who happened to be in the isle knew exactly what I was looking for said she hadn’t seen any on the shelf in months. In general except for a propane lantern or two most of that isle was cleaned out. As we talked further she said most of the stoves and lanterns have been flying off the shelf since the “pandemic” started.

The closest sporting goods store, Dicks, won’t get my money and the usual others are too far away. So I wandered over to the local “A” named hardware store which usually is my source for the obscure and odd items and sure enough they had 2 two packs left on the shelf. I grabbed both and merely went on my way. I guess I’ll have to start grabbing them when I see them to build up a stash.

Some of my better memory’s are of camping and hunting trips and the distinctive hiss of a Coleman lantern lighting up the area.

Last time I bought them, I used Amazon.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I love those lanterns. I haven't fired mine up in a while but will do so for our next backyard fire.

Anything survival related seems to be in short supply.
    Canning jars and lids. Try finding them.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/home.php?cat=34&page=1

I buy all my parts from this place. Click on “just mantles”.

I agree with marling39a....oldcolemanparts has had items to fix my Northstar lantern where no one else has the parts. And they are honest people. They have flat rate shipping on their online order page...but if the shipping is less...they will refund you the difference. Hard to find honesty these days with an online retailer.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Call the Coleman place in Wichita, Kansas. They will help you. BTW, if you are ever up there, or close, go to the Coleman museum there. If you ever used their stuff, camping as a kid, you will enjoy it.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Check Amazon - quite a few listed

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=coleman+l...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Boolit Master
    Thanks all, already had Old Coleman Parts bookmarked for parts for my M1950 squad stove.

In this case the online sources wouldn’t have been much help as we’re leaving today, so I was at least glad to find what I did.

Moderator Emeritus

I have 2 of the propane models for power outages in winter. Will keep the bathroom above 50 degrees when it is -20 and windy! Other one goes in the kitchen to add some extra heat there.Living room has the 12 volt pellet stove so it stays nice and warm.

I have some Aladdin pressure lamps too, kerosene. Use them wherever I want bright light. Mantles for those are really hard to find right now!

Boolit Grand Master
    There's nothing quite like the hiss and bright light of a two mantle Coleman lantern burning white gas.

I haven't used one for years, but just reading about them brings back memories.

I do have a GI single mantle gas lantern that is supposed to run fine on either MoGas or white gas, doesn't put out quite as much light as the two mantle though.

Robert

Repair parts like generators for these lanterns is drying up.
    I had a heck of a time finding repair parts for a couple of mine that were made in the 80's.
    When I did find them, it was old stock, new production items are discontinued and gone.

I'd encourage getting a couple of spare generators and whatever other odds & ends you may need in the future.
    And when you store them, dump out the fuel, pump 'em up and let them blow themselves out to purge the generator & needle valve.

I put mine away with fuel in them for a couple of years, and it trashed them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

Word of caution: when installing the older style mantles you have to light them to finish the installation. Light them outside and Do NOT breathe in the puff of smoke when you light them. The older ones contain Thorium...the smoke is thorium oxide and is a radioactive alpha emitter...really bad stuff to get into your body.

The newer version has a different thermolumenescent material that is safer, but is brittle and easily shattered.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Thanks all, already had Old Coleman Parts bookmarked for parts for my M1950 squad stove.

In this case the online sources wouldn’t have been much help as we’re leaving today, so I was at least glad to find what I did.
    If you are looking for generators for the old lanterns or parts for stoves, this is the place.
    oldcolemanparts.com
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I have a few liquid fuel colemans. I have found that not preburning them, but actually pressuring and lighting lets the fuel/air to balloon them out while they turn to ash. With preburning, it seems they turn to ash, then when you light it later, they expand to shape and stressed when they are weakest.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Once used, those mantles are sure fragile. Everyone needs backup.

Boolit Master
    End result... perfect operation. I forgot about the mantle fireball/seasoning. After the burn in and coming up to operating temp it performed flawlessly. So much so the the boss commented that the campers next door may not be as excited about the bright light as I was.

I may look for a single mantle for a little less output.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E7EF52E-53CB-4BFB-8CA3-2406111FC50F.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	269379

Boolit Master

Thanks for the memories. This thread made me think of camping with my grandfathers, both of whom taught me how to generate the fuel in Coleman lanterns.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    End result... perfect operation. I forgot about the mantle fireball/seasoning. After the burn in and coming up to operating temp it performed flawlessly. So much so the the boss commented that the campers next door may not be as excited about the bright light as I was.

I may look for a single mantle for a little less output.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E7EF52E-53CB-4BFB-8CA3-2406111FC50F.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	269379
    Then they ain’t campers or scouts.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

The non-radioactive mantles are pennies each on:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/l...tern%20mantles

The NOS I have seem to be more stable, but since the new ones aren't, I just ordered 50 from China. They arrived in about a month.

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    The non-radioactive mantles are pennies each on:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/l...tern%20mantles

The NOS I have seem to be more stable, but since the new ones aren't, I just ordered 50 from China. They arrived in about a month.
    If you are lucky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast