WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A good cast bullet for 7.5 x 55 schmidt ruben

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Will do, I'm not to camera savy yet but I'll copy down the information.
    Pic isn’t necessary...just the military info and lets cross our fingers we have a match.

Boolit Master
    Here's the tag info

Moser Jean-Pierre, 35
    Battr L. MOB. DCA I/2
    2034 Peseux
    Uttins 37

is what it looks like.
    I'm not sure about what an MOB or DCA is but my guess is some sort of artillery 1 rgt 2nd co.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not an expert, only a reasonably knowledgable guy. I THINK I got the tag figured, once I realized it was in French. Note: I'm awaiting confirmation and more info from Switzerland.

Battr = Battery
    L = Light
    MOB = Mobile
    DCA = Defense Contre Avions = Defense against planes = Anti-Aircraft

So, Platoon no. 1 of Light Mobile Anti-Aircraft Battery no. 2. Soldier (Jean-Pierre Moser, born in 1935) was from Uttins, Switzerland.

Now, I've looked through the Swiss uniform regulations from 1940 through 1972. I could find no specific collar device for a MALE in an anti-aircraft unit. Did find in the 1949 uniform regs there was a DCA (AA) collar patch for the Women's Auxiliary Service (which I don't have). Jean-Pierre sounds like a guy's name to me. I've asked for confirmation of my interpretation of the soldier's unit and what collar patch would be correct for a male member of an anti-aircraft battery, if anyone knows. I suspect it's crossed cannon barrels (heavy weapons) with a yellow background (motor or mobile troops). If with Infantry, the background would be green. I'm hoping for more information.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3AD61ABC-D921-4F82-B79D-A483110ECC33.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	271357

In the world of trivia, I have great news for you!

Got a reply from a collector in Switzerland regarding the correct collar patch (with photo and description of the colors) to match up with your K31, and I do have that patch. In researching the patches I was sent, I had found differing (but related) definitions of the above patch...anti-aircraft, anti-aircraft (search) lights, and anti-aircraft grenadier. At a glance, the background looks black, with black indicating Engineers...maybe antiaircraft units were Engineers, but that didn't make complete sense to me. When I received the reply with description of the colors, and shined a bright light on the patch, I immediately knew the patch was Swiss Air Force from the dark blue background. Apparently the same patch was used for the various positions within an antiaircraft battery. I speculate that the individuals are cross trained in the various positions in case one or more became incapacitated.

I am not an expert on Swiss patches, but in my looking at photos of uniforms and patches for sale, older Air Force patches seem scarce compared to Army patches. So, in the absence of further info, let's call this patch scarce, at least in the U.S. It took awhile before finding my Air Force radio operator's patch on a Swiss auction site to go with my Air Force radio operator's K31. Your patch was among the patches I was sent when my P49's officer won the auction and sent the patches to me. He didn't charge me anything, and the idea was that I could pass some of the patches on to other collectors to go with their ex-Swiss military firearms...sorta a pay it forward type of deal.

Please send me a PM with your name and mailing info. I'll send the patch. There is NO charge. So far, no contradictions to my interpretation of the K31's owner's military unit. I believe Uttins is in the French speaking part of Switzerland. I had started as if the tag abbreviations were German, and wasn't getting much of anywhere. As soon as I found DCA was French, I knew what route to take, and the answers came quick.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Ideal 311413 44gr 4350 .... Accurate to 1000yds with original iron sights
    Varmint Bench Rest Silhouettes Competitions
    Crows at 850 yards
    Ground hogs at 900 yards
    Bobcats at 950 yards
    Coyotes at 1000 yards
    Wow that sounds pretty stout! What does that do on paper for groups? I use 36 grains of 4350 on my 1911 and its great!

Boolit Master
    Well I haven't found a heavier mold yet but I've been playing around with a little lyman 311359 115gr spire point gc and with 9.5 grs of unique it's shooting 1 1/2' - 2" at 100 yds out of my K31 and as soon as I can find a correct sizer die I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do in the 96/11.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12