Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford V8 60

Boolit Master
    Good info. I might go deep into that garage and see if I can find the motor.

Boolit Master

Old street rodder here. The flathead Ford V-8 was introduced in 1932 in the Model B (18) Fords. Clyde Barrow wrote a letter to Ford commending the V-8 for its performance. It well may have been the impetus for NASCAR as well with the moonshiners favoring its performance. It was no barn burner but it was head and shoulders above anything else on the market at the time. It was finally replaced with an overhead valve V-8 in 1954.
    Last edited by David2011; 10-15-2020 at 01:10 AM.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    That would have been the 85 HP -125 hp engines . The 60 Hp was a smaller economy engine, in HP as well a physical size . Looking at both side by side it's no problem to tell the difference between them . 60 HP motors had 17 head bolts and the 85 and up were 21 bolt . The 85 HP came out in the best looking of the A model Fords , the 1934 .
    The 1933/34 is a beautiful design but it’s not a Model A. It was the Model 46. Model A Fords were produced from 1928 until 1931. The Model B was the 1932 Ford and the design was unique to that year. The V-8 variant was the Model 18. Model letters weren’t chronological; the Model T was produced from the 1909 model year through the 1927 model year.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Flatheads Forever

Banned

wonder if theres any place that buys them. My neighbor died with a flat head v8 ford small dump truck about a 1/3 of the way restored. He had the chassis and drive train done but the body would need serious work. Im sure his wife would sell it or even part out the motor seperately.

Boolit Master

“Hemmings Motor News” is a good resource for buying and selling antique car items.

Boolit Master
    Biggest problem with Ford s 90 years later is exhaust passages rusting through ....if the blocks been dry since the 40s ,then it may be OK....My favourite was the V8s made for various purposes during WW2.....several surplus dealers here used to sell the V8 Power Pack for around $75 -$80,that included a truck clutch and radiator...all new ,never used.

That block is very thick, I bored on 60 over and has room for more. One version had stainless bock sides that rusted and some had aluminum heads. B 32 was all steel body vs wood and steel from earlier.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    On the subject of prewar Ford V8s......someone I know says that a very thinwall steel liner was available to repair worn bores ,that just needed ridge cut ,and then slipped in past the pistons ,and was clamped by the head gasket ......fact or fiction?.....( im familiar with cast iron liners that need boring the block)

Liners were popular at one time, not any more. Not just a simple slide in.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I printed out some of the info from the links Popper posted. My wife brought the pages to her father. She said he was like a kid again, reading about that motor. He wants to get it out of the garage. You made a 91 yr old's day.

Boolit Master

Yeah Popper, thanks for the links. Between my 15th and 17th birthdays I went through 5 of those flathead cars from a 48 Ford to a 51 Merc. All were $25-$50 clunkers but being poor I learned to fix things. One memory stands out. On a date New Years eve in a snowstorm, the motor quits, no fuel flow. Get out, take off the pump and find a small nut in my tool box. Put some grease on the nut to hold it in the actuating rod cup on the pump so it will lengthen the stroke on the pump diaphram. Reinstall the pump and off to the party! You could always get another day or two out of a fuel pump that way. Those were the days!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Pretty certain the length would be a problem in an 8N... Perhaps a Jubilee! If it was hanging out over the axle!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Not so! do a search for "8n v8 conversion", There were kits available to do just that, plenty of pics on the 'net. There was also a Sherman transmission for them that were available in either, or maybe both "step up" or "step down" versions.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Liners were popular at one time, not any more. Not just a simple slide in.
    A liner - we called them "sleeves" were used to reline a cylinder bore. The cylinder would be bored out and a recess would be cut in the top of the newly bored cylinder for the collar on the sleeve that held it in place.
    There were "Paper sleeves" that thin walls. There were heavy sleeves that had walls that were at least 3/16" thickness or more. You could save an engine block with sleeves.

Back in the day when there was no money, a bottom end knock sometimes meant taking the oil pan off, taking the head off, disconnecting the worn connecting rod and pushing the piston and rod up through the top of the block then running on 7 rather than 8 cylinders. Or 5 cylinders rather than 6. That ended with pressurized oil passages in the crankshaft to lubricate the con rod bushings.
    We did what we could with what we had on hand
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    Not so! do a search for "8n v8 conversion", There were kits available to do just that, plenty of pics on the 'net. There was also a Sherman transmission for them that were available in either, or maybe both "step up" or "step down" versions.
    Learn something every day!! Wouldn't have guessed that would work! Thank you for sharing that link.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Banned

any idea what one that has new rings valves and bearings is worth?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    any idea what one that has new rings valves and bearings is worth?
    That depends on the skill of the individual who assembled it.
    I have come to regard rebuilt "fresh" engines as dubious.
    Locally there are two shops with folks who have the skills to rebuild an old engine, It is not just parts replacement.
    There are more folks who do NOT know how to do a proper rebuild to minimum specs than there are who do.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

60, prob. Not much unless for a restoration. 85 or 90, cost of parts.
    Whatever!

Banned

guy that rebuilt it was a machinist all his life and is about as anal as they come. He died of a stroke last year and in his elegy his brother said that hes no doubt Gods #1 mechanic in heaven today. he had a better machine shop at home then most places that rebuild motors have. It was a small dump truck. The whole chassis has been rebuilt. Frame blasted and painted. All new suspension and bushings. Transmission and rear were stripped down and he found very little wear. truck odometer had 37k on it but i dont know if it worked. Body is rough though and would take ALOT to restore. he started on it and got all the mechanical parts done then kind of lost interest. im sure if it would have been a car or pickup he would have finished it but he had no use for a dump truck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast