WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Accurate molds question

Boolit Buddy

Accurate molds question

Any one use any of the molds made by Accurate molds for cap and ball revolvers?

If so, how did the boolits do.

Take care
    Abenaki

Boolit Buddy
    I have a mold on order,from them. I’ll let you know when it gets here!

Boolit Master
    I ordered 3 designs in a 5 cavity aluminum mold. I’ve had issues with fill and have contemplated trying a little tin since my pot is maxed out. Regardless I intend to order another mold after I get things more squared away on powder space vs excess room to, in essence, use lead as filler as I’m a hunter and want mass.

As an aside I’m considering sending the mold off to Hollow Point Molds to have pins installed in two to give me the option for higher devastation with less penetration that might just work nicely on two-legged critters too. I’m a thinking along the lines of the old CCI/Speer .45 ACP 200 grn Flying Ashtray, except I’m anticipating a solid weight of 215-230 grns so a deep wide cavity would probably drop this down around 185 grns I’d guess.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got my mold for a 195 grain, 230 grain and 245 grain. It’s the first brass mold I’ve used and once it’s hot enough it’s great turning out perfect bullets effortlessly. I’ve plinked a bit with all three designs and I’m happy so far. I need to make time for a chronograph and target session...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnbow View Post
    I’ve got my mold for a 195 grain, 230 grain and 245 grain. It’s the first brass mold I’ve used and once it’s hot enough it’s great turning out perfect bullets effortlessly. I’ve plinked a bit with all three designs and I’m happy so far. I need to make time for a chronograph and target session...
    I’m curious, what mold numbers are those?

Boolit Buddy
    Rod, they are 45-195C, 46-230P, and 45-245C all the major diameters are .458 since the cylinders I’m working with are .456. The chambers are chamfered so they don’t shave a ring of lead but they seal nicely and the guns I’ve tried so far seem to like the 245C best. We’ll see what the chrony says but I’m loading 35 grains of 3f swiss and or olde eynesford and I’m guessing we’re close to .45 colt ballistics but again, the clock will tell the tale.

Boolit Master
    That’s funny as the 195C and 245C are my designs, though I opted for a heavier bullet over the 245 as I thought we were moving to VA and I hear bears taste really good.

The 195C I made assuming my then new 2013 Pietta NMA was going to have the typical slow twist so I wanted a ball length bullet. Now I’m modifying the 245C for my universal bullet. And I’m contemplating hollow pointing 2 cavities such as what another fellow has done.

I’m a bit surprised you can get that much powder under the 245. My NMA’s load was 30 grns volume of 3F Olde E that weighed 33 or 35 grns, I don’t recall which.

Taking measurements from both my NMA and ROA this bullet should take up all excess space except 1/16” for a cardboard over powder card, 1/16” space to keep gas cutting from eating the face of my projectile, and another 1/16” for load variances.

Actually I broke my old rifle powder measure and found my new one doesn’t match. However the slide is brass unlike my other and I decided to scratch in 5 grn increments (both were marked by tens) so instead of eyeballing 5 grns I can now eyeball 2.5 grns so I’ll be refiguring their accurate hunting loads and making adjustments.

Also really wanting a ClassicBallistix cylinder now, which would likely need its own bullet assuming the powder charge stays the same as it has with the others. Might just get to use the old 45-285C after all (also been contemplating resizing it and trying it in a sabot).

I’d certainly love to see some chrony results, and I’m curious what you think of those bullets, along with what changes you’d make were you to.
    Last edited by rodwha; 10-23-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m using a brass flask with a 35 grain spout and it may be throwing just a few grains light. I’ll weight them sometime this weekend... the cylinders are .456 all the way down to the rebate, very concentric, a nice job and as mentioned the front band of all three bullets is .458” the second band as cast is right at .456” the base diameter is .452”. Also, after measuring the powder into the chambers, I tap somewhat vigorously on the sides of the cylinder until the powder stops settling.

About the only change I would make is to lengthen slightly that portion of the base of the 245 grain bullet, in order to load easier. I’m going to open up the loading port on the two best performing revolvers once I know which they are. So far I have 4 sure candidates and two maybe candidates. The long bullets both load to about a 1/16” below the face of the cylinder. Good designs, the 195 seems like a great small game round while the 245 and 230 will find bigger targets.

I have molds for muzzleloader and my 71 Mauser but not any of theirs for pistol. For cap and ball, I have been loving the ones I got from Eras Gone.
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnbow View Post
    I’m using a brass flask with a 35 grain spout and it may be throwing just a few grains light. I’ll weight them sometime this weekend... the cylinders are .456 all the way down to the rebate, very concentric, a nice job and as mentioned the front band of all three bullets is .458” the second band as cast is right at .456” the base diameter is .452”. Also, after measuring the powder into the chambers, I tap somewhat vigorously on the sides of the cylinder until the powder stops settling.

About the only change I would make is to lengthen slightly that portion of the base of the 245 grain bullet, in order to load easier. I’m going to open up the loading port on the two best performing revolvers once I know which they are. So far I have 4 sure candidates and two maybe candidates. The long bullets both load to about a 1/16” below the face of the cylinder. Good designs, the 195 seems like a great small game round while the 245 and 230 will find bigger targets.
    You mentioned the chambers bored straight down until the rebate. Is this a Colt 1860? If nothing else I assume this basically means right down forward of the bolt notches or so?

I, too, tap the powder measure. I’ve read many don’t approve of this, but ultimately it seems this is all really about consistency. I see consistency in group sizes. And no doubt there’s a bit more oomph as well. Standard .45 ACP load performance is a good thing.

I found out quickly that the short seating band was as a bit short. It works fine usually but sometimes tries to turn a bit to the side upon loading. Are you seeing this with the 245C as well?

I had to open the window on my NMA even for my very short 170 grn version because of the wide meplat.

I’d like to know your thoughts a bit better on what you think would be a better modification as to lengthening the loading section. I also have other ideas as well that may change the overall design, and I’m looking for a universal nose.

I’ve truly wondered just what kind of performance that short 195 grn bullet would provide. I’ve found that a ball penetrates well out of proportion, but seeing what I have I gel just wasn’t encouraging when it came down to using against a wounded hog. So the idea of additional mass with a wide meplat sounded to me like what takes it over the potential mediocre level a ball would. However, being virtually caliber length and with such a wide meplat I could also see this becoming unstable as far as a straight track through the animal.

And this brings me to meplat size. I’ve seen how initial ideas were that about a 78% meplat was the maximum for straight-through performance while providing a maximum hole, beyond that and the bullet became unstable, and it was even stated that going from super to sonic could really disrupt the bullet. The majority of this is was with the .45-70 Gov’t specifically. However we have seen magnum handgun hunters achieving the same basic performance and there’s far too many wider meplat bullets doing well.

What do you think of the other bullet you mentioned, the 230?

I love accurate molds...have a few bullet designs there myself and Tom is a great guy to work with...gets the molds out fast. Usually dont end up waiting more than a week for each mold i had them make. The quality is excellent too. You definately get exactly what you ask for

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlawKid View Post
    I love accurate molds...have a few bullet designs there myself and Tom is a great guy to work with...gets the molds out fast. Usually dont end up waiting more than a week for each mold i had them make. The quality is excellent too. You definately get exactly what you ask for
    +1 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	154 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	270255

I'm not much for multi cavity mould blocks, but I ordered a two cavity brass mould for my .44 revolver. I will say that both cavity's are exact as my Mitutoyo micrometer can measure.
    I just wish he would also tool up for more than a flat meplat.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lead Pot.... me for round nose tooling capability.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlawKid View Post
    I also love accurate molds! I was just wondering about his cap and ball molds.
    Looks like I will be buy one soon.

take care
    Abenaki