MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alliant Reloader 7 .44-40 load

Quote Originally Posted by w30wcf View Post
    A capacity load of Reloader 7 under the historical 215 gr. 427098 bullet in the .44-40 24" barrel tripped the screens at an average velocity of 1,367 f.p.s. with very good accuracy.

w30wcf
    I have discovered that 25gr of current productions of RL is a case capacity load for both my 43-210B and Hornady 240gr SWC-HP.

23gr produced an avg 1,337 fps out of my 24" Marlin
    25gr produces and avg of 1,425 fps

Ironically the seating depth of the Hornady 240gr SWC-HP is about the same as the 43-210B so 25gr is also a case capacity load.

25gr and 240gr bullet = 1,425 fps......just over max psi
    25gr and 210gr bullet = 1,424 fps......just under max psi

I said I was done with RL-7 testing but I think I will try both loads now at 100 yards at some point in the future.

Banned

guess I look at like this. If I had a bunch of re7 I couldn't find a proper use for I might try it. But I sure wouldn't go buy it specifically for the 4440 or any handgun. Just doesn't make economic sense to use re7 when you can get the same results with half the charge weight of unique ect. Great powder in the35 rem 3030 444 and 4570 though.

The whole purpose is to replicate full case/low pressure curve loads....and for me.....the original style bullet sits on top of the powder so it does not telescope back into the case while inside the rifle magazine. The Lyman 427098 does not have a crimp grove and is crimped over the forward driving band. Only keeps the bullet from coming out, not backing in. To make you cringe even more, only about 65% of the powder is burned It is also about using slower (I didn't say slow) burning rifle powders rather than faster pistol powders and taking a chance on a double charge and blowing up the fine firearm. The other reason is to be able to use the Lyman 310 hand tool "in the field" and not have to worry about poor crimps...refer to my first sentence. The 240gr bullet is perfect for this application. For the Marlin, no measuring tool needed....fill the case so the bullet slips in by hand to the crimping desired depth and crimp. Technically I don't even need the bullet seating plug. Just the expander and crimp. SOOOooooooo many options so little time.

Who said money was a concern?
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 12-07-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Savvy Jack sums up the rationale for Re-7 usage in this application (and in 32/20 WCF as well)--no crimp groove in either #427098 or in #311008, so the bullet seats against the powder column to resist "telescoping" during the shunting movement through the tube mag of a levergun--a crimp can wrapped around the bullet ogive to secure it in place against creep-out during revolver recoil. SAECO's crimp groove in #446 solved Lyman's design flaws, or at least acknowledged that black powder has smokeless competition--120 years along.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

yeap....I also have the 43-215C which is a replica of the 427098 but has a crimp groove and large lube groove if one chooses to use black powder.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-215C-D.png

Attachment 209069
    Attachment 209070

Accurate 43-215C - Being a traditionalist, I decided that I wanted a bullet that would exactly match the original .44-40 bullet nose profile and would carry enough lube for the 24” trip many times accurately using standard Goex black powder. In addition, I had found that the original nose profile is best for down range accuracy (100+ yards) which is one of the things I like to do.~w30wcf
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3088182
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 12-08-2017 at 12:14 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A couple bullets I've been using in both the .44 Magnum and the .44-40 are Accurate 43-230G and 43-230EB.

Attachment 209085Attachment 209086

The 230G is a double-crimp-groove design which enables you to seat the bullet out in the .44 Special, or Ruger .44 Magnums to exploit their greater cylinder length to get greater case capacity. The 230EB is based on John's proven 43-215C design, but as bevel base added to bump the weight up a bit. I've gotten good accuracy with this bullet using 33-35 grains of Goex 3Fg and Confederate Army Lube" which is equal parts of Goya Manteca (unsalted filtered lard) and beeswax.

Ditto on the 24-25 grains of current RL7 for both bullets, depending on seating depth and case capacity.

Attachment 209084 Attachment 209087

At left, a ten-shot, 100-yard group with Marlin and hunting scope. At right a 5-shot group fired with simple open sights, .44-40 Rossi with 43-230EB and black powder.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks for chiming in Outpost....I was beginning to feel like I was in a ghost town.

Ya know I think I still have some left over you sent me several years ago, I will look and load some up if I do.

Attachment 209118

25gr RL-7 Accurate Mold 43-215C
    Melted, cast, sized, lubed and loaded all in a snowy North Carolina afternoon!!!

Attachment 209123
    Accurate Mold

43-230G left and the 43-215C right

So many loads, so little time!!!

Attachment 209135

Boolit Buddy
    Al, 3.0 5744 under 26.5 Goex FFG shoots all day clean with the Lyman 427098 in my 1894 marlin.. It is a fun load to shoot and will usually stay in 1.5" at 50 yds. I use lyman gold lube but SPG works as well

By almost accident today I almost replicated Doc Pardee's 1875 30 shot 4" Group at 110 yards but with smokeless. Well almost

For the full story, click here: https://www.44winchestercenterfireca...-19-March-2018

Using Acme Bullet Company's 200gr hard cast .430 lead bullet, I inadvertently grouped 14 shots into a 4" circle at 100 yards. After a few shots (from group 1) I made a slight scope adjustment and shot group 2. I superimposed both groups on a sheet of paper and got the following results.

Attachment 216706Attachment 216707

28gr Reloder 7 1,556fps avg. (+P loads) Marlin 1894CB
    (Not intended for Winchester 73' type rifles and revolvers)

Doc Pardee's group is much tighter so 15 more shots from my loads could make the group bigger or even smaller!! We all know he used Black Powder..........I was using hot smokeless loads

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone tried this powder with psb as a filler? I say because my 73 Winchester, 38WCF has an oversize neck. I've been using it with IMR 4227 and great results. Works in my gun with no pressure signs at all and shoots very accurate. Maybe NOT yours, start careful. Just a thought for another possible powder I'd like to try.

Boolit Buddy
    I just returned from the range and was shooting a Win 1892 44-40 with a new .4286 barrel 1-28 twist .Half the range was underwater so 50 meters will have to do.A 24gr dose of RE#7 /Win brass /Win LP primer under a 220gr FN .430 cut .680 for 3 shots off the bench.Velocity unknown but likely around 1400fps from a 24" pipe. A load of 25 + 23gr was acceptable but this is the sweet spot.
    Last edited by Pioneer2; 03-24-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    I just returned from the range and was shooting a Win 1892 44-40 with a new .4286 barrel 1-28 twist .Half the range was underwater so 50 meters will have to do.A 24gr dose of RE#7 /Win brass /Win LP primer under a 220gr FNGC .430 cut .680 for 3 shots off the bench.Velocity unknown but likely around 1400fps from a 24" pipe. A load of 25 + 23gr was acceptable but this is the sweet spot.
    great news to hear!!!! Hey, what bullet mold is that from?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    great news to hear!!!! Hey, what bullet mold is that from?
    I just read through this thread from way back to now - duplicating blackpowder ballistics with full case loads of RE7 ---etc etc etc ----have you blokes not heard of blackpowder ?? We can get it in the back end of Aussieland - cant be that hard to find !!! so whats going on ? Seems also that nobody has heard of duplex loading ? or is that a taboo subject for some reason - cant be a safety issue! its a heck of a lot safer deal than foolin round with off patent smokeyless loads ----3 grains of 4227 under the black in small cases and 5 grains in 45-70 size brass - it will get about 100fps increase over the straight black - with half decent lube boolits you can shoot all day without fouling out - works ok in 73 actions and on up. ......Or is this just a lot of guys chasing their tail in order to avoid cleaning their gun at the end of a days shooting???? I feel like I missed something in the translation here.

Since you quoted me....I will reply

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I just read through this thread from way back to now - duplicating blackpowder ballistics with full case loads of RE7 ---etc etc etc ----
    have you blokes not heard of blackpowder ??
    Why yes, yes we have!!

We can get it in the back end of Aussieland - cant be that hard to find !!!
    Good for you! Good stuff!!

so whats going on ? Seems also that nobody has heard of duplex loading ? or is that a taboo subject for some reason- cant be a safety issue!
    Probably don't hear much about it because folks either don't do it or don't talk about it....just like everything else, screw up, forget what step you're on, have a brain fart and it can become disastrous.

its a heck of a lot safer deal than foolin round with off patent smokeyless loads ----3 grains of 4227 under the black in small cases and 5 grains in 45-70 size brass - it will get about 100fps increase over the straight black
    Glad that works for ya!

- with half decent lube boolits you can shoot all day without fouling out - works ok in 73 actions and on up.
    Nice to know

......Or is this just a lot of guys chasing their tail in order to avoid cleaning their gun at the end of a days shooting????
    This topic is about Reloader 7, not black powder....if you want to learn about hitting steel targets with black powder out to 300 meters, visit this link:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Powder-Journey same author as this topic

If you want more information about what John knew about black powder and the 44-40, look here:
    https://www.44winchestercenterfireca....com/john-kort

I feel like I missed something in the translation here.
    Yeap, you missed the entire point or could certainly be a translation problem

The whole point of using Reloader 7 in the 44-40 is to be able to use a smokeless load rather than black powder and get equal to or better performance. As can be seen from the links I posted, black powder is not the only option to get original black powder performance from this great cartridge. Hope that translates!!!!!
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 03-23-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    The mold used by a commercial caster was NOE ............not sure which one?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Since you quoted me....I will reply

Yeap, you missed the entire point or could certainly be a translation problem

The whole point of using Reloader 7 in the 44-40 is to be able to use a smokeless load rather than black powder and get equal to or better performance. As can be seen from the links I posted, black powder is not the only option to get original black powder performance from this great cartridge. Hope that translates!!!!!
    Jack - seein you enjoyed dismembering my last post - maybe you would like another go.
    I wasnt picking on you just hit quote instead of reply - anyway - you missed the point of my post. I get the aim of what is doing here just am honestly curious as to what drives so many guys to take so much trouble to not use black powder - theres a long list of possibilities - most of em we could cross off easily - particularly when we insert the caveat of equal performance - incidentally I like RE7 - used it to good effect in a 375 Big Bore and recently in 32/20 and 357 mag in lever guns.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast