Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Breech Lock Pro vs Dillon Square Deal

Boolit Master

Lee Breech Lock Pro vs Dillon Square Deal

Yeah, I know it’s going to be one sided but have to ask.

This press will be used for one caliber and one load period! I will
    Most likely prime off press. Thinking for my 44special or 38 special, maybe 10mm since I went on a 10mm revolver spree lately.

I have a Lee Breech Lock Pro 4000 sitting in the box right now. I am pretty impressed with it! Very “Un Lee” like, solid. But I have had a SDP in the pass and know it’s a solid performer.

So what does the gallery think?

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I use Lee but I think Dillon makes a better press you get good things for 3 times the price and you should.
    But that said I would buy another breech lock pro for myself if it disappeared , it easy to run compared to the other Lee progressives I have had but I load I load 380 , 9mm ,38/357 , 40s&w and 45 acp on mine . The only part of it that is finicky at all for me after the initial learning curve is the $30. Case feeder collator but I still use it because it saves a lot of time. If I went Dillon I would go 550 I have used one it's a great press with a volume that is enough for what I load , but what I have works for me I would rather buy guns , powder and primers with the difference in cost

Boolit Master

550 is the bestest for sure. But just wanted a dedicated press for a high volume one trick pony load.

Lefty

Boolit Grand Master
    Never owned a Lee press...8 Dillons. I would buy the Lee for S&G’s. Would be interesting to try and it is cheap. If it is a ***, I can load on one of the Dillon’s until I sell it and get a Dillon.

Being one caliber, maybe it would be less temperamental. SD is ok but hate the propriety dies...things/needs can change down the road.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

True, but I never minded the SDP. Reliable and cheap, for Dillon. I hate changing dies and priming systems on ANY progressive presses, and would have a dedicated press to each caliber I shot ALOT of.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    550 is the bestest for sure. But just wanted a dedicated press for a high volume one trick pony load.

Lefty
    I hear a lot good about the square deal so I don't think you would go wrong unless you wanted to use dies you have but you sound like you know you want a dedicated press for 1 caliber , looks like a great choice. But I have never loaded on one so my opinion is from looking over the fence

Banned
    I have two of the Lee Auto Breech Lock Pros. One dedicated to 9mm and the other to 223. I like them both very much. I prime off the press normally although on press priming works well. I wait until I need to run 4-500 of each and then go for it.

My only experience with Dillon was an old 450. It was a nice press.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

Square Deal Press Pros.....
    1) Dillon’s no BS Warranty. Have used it after buggering up my first SDP and it’s great!
    2) Longevity, it’s a pretty solid press. Should be since it’s over twice the BLP’s cost.
    3) setup to roll out of the box.

Square Deal Press Cons:
    1) Price, at over twice the price is it over twice as good as the BLP.
    2) cramped quarters. Not a lot of room to clear mess ups.
    3) primer system is meh.

Last SDP I had I had it setup for 38 wadcutters that I had traded for. Loaded about 5000 rounds in three days. Don’t think you could tell the first from the last one. Did three classes with that ammo. Good stuff.

Lee Breech Lock Pros? Comparing it to the SDP:
    1) Soild, but Lee’s CS is no where near Dillon’s. And have I just expected Lee to be cheap plastic junk?
    2) will it hold up to the SDP? The SDP isn’t a rl550c. But then the BLP isn’t a CC either.
    3) set up isn’t bad. Changing calibers in the BLP is pretty simple and cheaper than the SDP. But it’s isn’t an issue since I’m leaving it to one caliber and one load.

I gave in and ordered the SDP. Will have it mounted side by side with my Breech Lock Pro. Should be fun. Have a ton of 38s to load up anyways.

Lefty
    Last edited by Lefty Red; 12-24-2020 at 07:14 AM.

Boolit Master

Lee Breech Lock Pro vs Dillon Square Deal

True, but I never minded the SDP. Reliable and cheap, for Dillon. I hate changing dies and priming systems on ANY progressive presses, and would have a dedicated press to each caliber I shot ALOT of.
    This is my sentiment. I have had the same 9 & 45 load for years. One day 2 sdb’s will be next to my 550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a pair of the SDB presses set up for the one load concept. One is for 45 ACP and the other for 9mm. As both were used I took some time for cleaning and setting them up again. The powder measure is good enough for accurate ammo and the priming system doesn't cause many issues. I don't have an accurate count of how much ammo I've loaded on them, but it's over 8000 in the 9mm and over 5000 in the 45.

If I had to do it over again (and buy new) I'd still buy the Dillon's. I've loaded off of a 550 and a 650 so I do have some other experience with different Dillon's. The 650 is a machine compared to the SDB being a contraption. But the SDB is a fine contraption!

I have a Lee Hand Press.

Boolit Master

DHDeal, you are on the nose with that comparison! I plan on getting a 550c when they get back in stock anywhere, the 650/750 is just too high speed for me needs. Already ordered a primer slide support and shell plate kit from Level 10 for it. Solves any problem I ever had with one.

Lefty

DILLON by a mile

once you set up dies on a dillon, you keep them setup and simply swap the entire toolhead

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

That’s not a fair comparison. I’m thinking you’re just testing us.

This press will be used for one caliber and one load period!...Thinking for my 44special or 38 special, maybe 10mm since I went on a 10mm revolver spree lately.
    How are you going to load one caliber and one load only for 3 different caliber rounds?

Boolit Master
    Square Deal Press Pros.....
    1) Dillon’s no BS Warranty. Have used it after buggering up my first SDP and it’s great!
    2) Longevity, it’s a pretty solid press. Should be since it’s over twice the BLP’s cost.
    3) setup to roll out of the box.

Square Deal Press Cons:
    1) Price, at over twice the price is it over twice as good as the BLP.
    2) cramped quarters. Not a lot of room to clear mess ups.
    3) primer system is meh.

Last SDP I had I had it setup for 38 wadcutters that I had traded for. Loaded about 5000 rounds in three days. Don’t think you could tell the first from the last one. Did three classes with that ammo. Good stuff.

Lee Breech Lock Pros? Comparing it to the SDP:
    1) Soild, but Lee’s CS is no where near Dillon’s. And have I just expected Lee to be cheap plastic junk?
    2) will it hold up to the SDP? The SDP isn’t a rl550c. But then the BLP isn’t a CC either.
    3) set up isn’t bad. Changing calibers in the BLP is pretty simple and cheaper than the SDP. But it’s the an issue since I’m leaving it to one caliber and one load.

I gave in and ordered the SDP. Will have it mounted side by side with my Breech Lock Pro. Should be fun. Have a ton of 38s to load up anyways.

Lefty
    Well should be a nice setup with the two you have .
    The pro4000 is the simplest to change calibers on of any progressive I have seen , switching primer size is 2 seconds and the shell plate is maybe a minute or 2 , with the breech lock bushings another 5 minutes for dies and PM (the dies stay adjusted )with just one pm if you have a pm for each cartridge and use the same load this will be 1 or 2 minutes . If you don't use the case feeder your done , if you use the case feeder another 2 to 10 minutes for it. But changing nothing is the fastest .
    enjoy your new presses

Boolit Master

I got mult tool heads for my SDB when I run across cheap ones on ebay.

4 screws and I'm loading another caliber
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    That’s not a fair comparison. I’m thinking you’re just testing us.

How are you going to load one caliber and one load only for 3 different caliber rounds?
    It isn’t! The Dillon SDP is the great little machine. But I have to give Lee credit on this BLP! And at 40% of the cost of the SDP AND uses standard dies. The last SDP I had I loaded up about 30,000 rounds of 38, 9mm, and 45ACP that year and then sold it for about 80% of what I had in it.

I’m going to pick one of those calibers for EACH press. Right now, I jumped on a deal and have two Lee BLP 4000s and one SDPs. Lee’s were in different calibers, so sold the dies and shell plates and ordered the correct shell plates. Thinking I will do 38s on the SDP, since it’s ordered that way, and do 40SW and 44sp on the Lee’s. But will do a head to head video of BLP and SDP with 38s very soon.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I got mult tool heads for my SDB when I run across cheap ones on ebay.

4 screws and I'm loading another caliber
    That good for those of you that are blessed with NASCAR pit crew skills! LOL
    I’m just above a retarded chimp in mechanical skills, so it’s longer for me. And like I said, I hate changing out calibers on progressives. This setup will be a one trick pony.

Plus the expense of the change over, toolhead plus dies plus powder measure and conversion kit for the Dillon is about the same for the complete Lee BLP 4000.

Lefty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    DILLON by a mile

once you set up dies on a dillon, you keep them setup and simply swap the entire toolhead

At the cost of the whole Lee 4000. Plus there is always tweaking that need to be had on caliber changes. Rather just set it and forget it.

Boolit Master
    For me I would go with the Dillon without a second thought.

Banned
    Yeah, I know it’s going to be one sided but have to ask.

Sounds like you already know the answer.
    I think you may be seeking affirmation rather than input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast