Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .44 magnum snubnose

Boolit Master
    3 inch Gp100 in 44 special or even a 10mm unless the OP is absolute on the 44 mag. I have never had a coyote even wait for me to get a shot off if an unexpected meeting, his reflexes are better than mine! I have killed 8 with 22 lr, and quite a few more with various centerfire rifles, all 100 yards or more. They are way skiddish around here, we shoot them on site!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    This is the cast boolit forum. Who is shooting factory 44 mag ammo for this sort of purpose?

S&W 44 mag mountain gun here with 1100fps cast slug.
    I load the single cavity lee hollow point 240 and I load it hot for all three of the hand guns they all seem to drive it better loaded close to max.

My Marlin JM 336 loves tbe same exact boolit & load with the micro groove barrel.

The 44 spc I load average because it's a total titanium taurus and was discontinued due to hotoads cracking them.
    Same cast. Boolit as the mags.
    Never a problem I've had it 25+ years and shoot it enough that if it was gonna blow it'd have done it already when i was young and ran it full power.

One thing I'll say about the lee single cavity HP mold.
    If you use straight up WW and water quence they punch a perfect wad cutter hole on paper.

Took a doe with the SBH 5.5 back a few years ago with the lee boolit.

Deer took two steps. One forward and one down
    She was out at about 85 yards.

ETA: smart pbone ain't so smart.
    Last edited by root; 10-13-2020 at 06:50 AM.
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

Gotta chime in here...for daily carry in the "44 Mode", I'd suggest S&W's excellent Model 69 with the 4-1/4" bbl. At ~38 oz's. & loaded with what's commonly called Skeeter's load (a good 240 gr LSWC backed with 7.5 gr of Unique in .44 Spl brass [or 8.5 gr of Unique in Magnum cases]), it's a easy on the hip and accurate in the half dozen .44's I've tried over the years. At ~950 fps from that ~4" bbl., you'll have a comfortable, accurate load for anything up to deer in your vicinity. Too, that light weight gun (within two oz's of my M66 Smith "K" frame) is an all day belt holster proposition if needed.

For bullets, I like 429421, and 429244GC with Skeeter's load or any of the warmer high velocity Magnum prescriptions. An even lighter recoiling suggestion would be 429215GC, an old Thompson design made by Lyman and superbly accurate in my guns. At ~220 grains from WW alloy, it's equally good for deer and can be alloyed softer by using a 50-50 mix of WW & Pb. I size all my .44's to 0.430" and get good results from both S&W's (two M29's, a 629 and the M69), as well as 5 Ruger's in both Special and Magnum chamberings. Just a suggestion, if you're using GC's, try annealing them before seating for a better fit and sizing...seems to help with accuracy in my guns too.

Powders: Bullseye for target velocities, Unique up the 1000 fps, and #9, 2400, or 296 for the top end work.

90% of my .44 shooting is with Skeeter's load at a bit less than 1000 fps. It's good for a full morning on the range and is my 1st choice for carry in a .44 here on the farm. We've put down some stock here with it, close up head shots, and it's harvested countless scores of thistle tops, dirt clods, and railroad tie plates here over the years.

HTH's & YMMv Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 10-13-2020 at 07:09 AM.
    Rod

Boolit Master
    EdK Said.

"Buffalo Bore
    Lower Recoil .44 Magnum Ammo
    255 gr. Keith - G.C. @ 1,350 fps/M.E. 1,032 ft lbs
    20 Round Box $44.36

At $2.22/shot for reduced power loads I guess if you you really want to then go for it. When I posted I was mainly thinking about how the OP was concerned with coyote issues and how many posts that followed were discussing how the 44 mag in a snubby was abusive to sh
    oot. Don't really even need Buffalo Bore's 1000ft lbs for a coyote - see where I was going?

I Said

But the key thing is the word "NEED". It isn't what we "need" but what we want. I wouldn't have a problem using "full power" on down to a "target" load on a coyote. May be anything from a jacketed or cast expanding bullet to hard cast to a Lehigh Defense to a Cutting Edge monometal solid.
    I guess that is what makes me the the type of person people just scratch and then shake their head as they walk away after having talked with me.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 10-13-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Besides different calibers let’s not forget regular practice. Bullet placement is still an important factor.

Boolit Mold
    I will throw my 2 cents in here... Rodfac hit it perfect with the model 69. I have shot both barrel lengths with the Skeeter load and it very easy to handle, and that load will take care of 90 percent of anything in the US.

Boolit Master
    The mere THOUGHT of touching off a 2.5" barrel .44 Mag makes my hand hurt. If you use a mid-range load, like 8.0/Unique/240 LSWC, I guess it might not be too bad. It'd certainly be serious "coyote-killer" on the receiving end. Less punishing on the "launcher" end.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    The mere THOUGHT of touching off a 2.5" barrel .44 Mag makes my hand hurt. If you use a mid-range load, like 8.0/Unique/240 LSWC, I guess it might not be too bad. It'd certainly be serious "coyote-killer" on the receiving end. Less punishing on the "launcher" end.
    It isn't the short barrel alone why I don't think it would be an ideal choice. It is also the fact that this would likely be in a light frame gun. If we were talking a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, then I don't think the recoil would be as horrendous as you would imagine. Actually, a lot of the time I find the longer barrels recoil MORE, possibly due to the increased velocity.

In my previous post I didn't recommend a short barrel 44 magnum for the intent on shooting coyotes. I based that on the assumption of a light frame gun, which does recoil significantly. Also the short barrels are not as easy to shoot accurately, but that isn't the whole story. I just can't imagine someone being able to pull out a model 69 and hitting a coyote at any real range with it. It's not because it is not accurate, but because such a gun is hard to shoot accurately. Many are apparently better at it than me with recoil (no surprise there), as it has taken me years of regularly shooting my Redhawk to finally feel comfortable enough to hunt with it.

Boolit Master
    Local vendor has one of these. Want,not need...

But shooting full power 44 mag loads from a light gun may not be fun. If going with specials, what's the whole magnum point then? Carrying magnums I'd anticipate the recoil and miss right away, I need to practise with the same ammo I actually use. With any gun.

Recent S&W quality also may be a preventative factor.

But this looks good and interesting,I may need... no, WANT to check it out anyway...

I wonder how the finish / engravings hold?

My Ruger Redhawk Kodiak Backpacker with a 2.75" barrel is very manageable with full house loads. 10 grains of Unique under a 240 gr bullet is not uncomfortable at all. Doesn't feel much different than a 9mm +p load out of a semi-auto.

Boolit Master

I bought a really nice 3" Model 29 about 20 years ago. I thought it would be a great hiking gun. I still have it and do shoot it once in a while, but it's not terribly fun to shoot, and heavy for a "small" gun. A few years later I found an old Model 66, 4" K-frame .357 Magnum. To me it seems to be such a well balanced gun, a much better hiking gun.

Recoil is subjective. I've shot heavy recoiling guns, including thousands of rounds of .44 magnum. I'm not glutton for punishment anymore; I just don't enjoy the pain. I was shooting with a friend recently, and he was happily shooting the heaviest kicking guns I have. I'd warn him a certain gun would kick pretty bad, and after a few shots he'd just smirk, "Whatta ya mean? That wasn't bad at all!" He's younger than me, and a Marine. Oohrah, tough guy.

I once shot two shots through a friend's Model 329, full power .44 mags. I have absolutely no interest in ever looking at one of those things again, as long as I live. I would equate it to laying my hand on a table and having someone smash it with a baseball bat. If you can shoot full loads through one of those and enjoy it, you're a tougher man than I am. Either that or a masochist.

Boolit Master

Man, that's a lot of gun for a little old "yote". But if you want tp pack that around, fine with me. The old standby Blackhawk .357 4 5/8" fits in my back levi pocket here on the place and I feel quite at home with it. RCBS 38-162-SWC with GC shank removed and HP'd with one of Pat Matlin's PB gas checks and a load of Herco does well in all local applications./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I shot some 320 JDJ bullets backed by 21.5 W296 awhile ago in a Ruger Redhawk with a 2.75 inch barrel and had no trouble with it. Did it recoil more than a 250 "Keith" and 8.5 of Unique, yes it did. But if you hold as still as you can, hold your sight alignment and operate the trigger in such a way as to not disturb either, the hit will be there.
    It is a mind thing.

I carry my 45 Colt Interarms Dragoon in a cross draw holster with a good cant. It stays out of the way but is still easy to get to. I'm not worried about hiding it on the farm, or most of the woods I stomp.
    Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123