WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trail boss shortage

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Rubber grounds. I compact it in a steel tube within an outer steel tube and fire down into through a tube.

It reminds me of the first day of my buddy who now owns his own smithing business. On his first day smithing for the 1st shop he ever worked at about 20 years he shot himself using something similar. The shop he worked for had a long test fire tube that looked like yours but 20’ long and you stick your arm in to fire the gun. With his first shot the bullet ricocheted and came back sticking in his arm. He headed to outpatient on the first day of work to get the bullet removed and stitches. He was back at work the next day repairing firearms...but never test fired down that tube again.

Check out my Firing Tube thread in Special projects and you'll see why this one can't ricochet back out. I must say I don't like firing down like that but I haven't figured out how to build one horizontally. This one also takes up only a small floor area and doesn't spill stuff out.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I grabbed the last two at the LGS today with my 3rd pound of varget. I have not seen trail boss available at my local gun shop for the last couple years and imo it was cheap enough so I figured I better snag it up.

I love both these powders for cast!
    I must say you guys have gotten my interest in Trail Boss up. Subsonic jacketed, subsonic cast, just supersonic jacketed - what's not to like. Loads seem to be more less the same as Clays but can go higher than Clays. Clays half fills the case while Trail Boss nearly completely fills the case. Yup, I'm liking Trail Boss. Range results will tell me just how much I'm going to like it.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I just bought it on a whim yesterday. Saw the price and for basically $40 for two containers I couldn’t pass it up. Seems like it it’s $2/$4 cheaper across the internet. That’s without hours of driving back and forth paying for gas to find it for a few bucks less or paying for hazmat shipping fee. I also like to support my LGS along with them just selling me 7k in CCI primers for $39.99 a brick in the last two days so I don’t mind paying them a couple of extra dollars for a few things. BTW they are the ONLY place in my city that sells powder,primers, and reloading supplies. Otherwise it’s 2 hours back and forth to a Cabelas or Scheels. I need to open a reloading supply store in my town. I was just exited to see both powders on the shelf as I haven’t seen TB in stock for a couple years... Just like varget. Three cans of each should last me a quite a while. I tried TB in my 375 RUM and I couldn’t hit a 4’ square target at 100 yards. It sure makes my 45 colt new vaquero a tac driver and fun to shoot with a 5.2 grain load. A lot of shooters don’t like TB. I think it’s a fun powder to play with. Never seen any red dot powder in stock my 20 years of powder buying. They had unique yesterday. I will pick some up soon to try.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-15-2020 at 07:17 AM.

Banned

Seems for most things, there are better powders than Trail Boss, never really saw that it could do anything Unique won't do more efficiently. Red Dot is also real versatile, as is 700X and a few others.

I'd likely do that trade in a heartbeat.

Boolit Buddy

Hodgdon now sells powder direct on their web page. They have a store and show TB is available.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Stick View Post
    Hodgdon now sells powder direct on their web page. They have a store and show TB is available.
    I got that email from them but couldn't see how on their site
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon

Click the "Shop" button upper left.
    Cognitive Dissident

It’s out of stock if you try to buy it and and it to cart with other above link directly from Hodgon...glad I bought mine the other day.

I loaded up a box of colt 45 yesterday and will load up another today. At 5.2 grains per shell it goes a long ways. I didn’t realize my existing 9oz can was new so my 3, 9oz cans will last me along time.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-18-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Boolit Master

Anyone need some let me know in Jacksonville

I chronied 2 of my 5.2 grain loads today using the Lee 255 grain boolit and a cci LMP primer. I had a reading of 567 and 588 fps. I put a pretty hard roll crimp on them as well. The load is a tac driver. I hit 4 for 4 shot gun shells one handed at 25 yards today. It's a blast to shoot. About the recoil of a 22wmr on steroids. My chronograph for some reason was giving me trouble and kept reading error codes today. First I was too close and it was reading muzzle blast. Then I backed up to 20 feet and finally got 2 readings and the rest kept giving error codes on my beta for some goofy reason.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-19-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Boolit Master

You need some actual loading manuals. The printed manuals are constant and looking them up is at your fingertips.

I DO NOT trust any online info on boards. All are suspect until I find it in my printed manuals.

Good luck to you if you don't. Saving bucks reloading is fine but don't skimp on the manuals IMHO

Boolit Master
    I would be concerned about exactly what this, near Varget military powder is, I have yet to read anything bad anywhere about shooters world powders and a bunch of people like the buffalo rifle powder pretty well.
    it might just be me but I leave the experimental stuff to people who know a whole lot more about ballistics than I do. I like to try and stick with published load data and known powders

While I have used TrailBoss and Red Dot in my 1911 45ACPs and handcrafted every blessed round of 'em. BOTH powders are EXCELLENT! After witnessing SEVERAL pistol blowups with progressive reloaders using Bullseye powder, the bulk of TrailBoss powder and moderate velocities could have prevented a Les Baer 45 blowup. BOTH powders will produce scary results that puts smiles on this old geezer's face.
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Check out my Firing Tube thread in Special projects and you'll see why this one can't ricochet back out. I must say I don't like firing down like that but I haven't figured out how to build one horizontally. This one also takes up only a small floor area and doesn't spill stuff out.
    My friend cut a hole in his shed which allowed him to run his oxy bottle test fire tube horizontally into the ground, he only has to walk up and poke the barrel through a small hole in shed and let rip. Regards Stephen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123