Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Primers !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a selfish reason to see this primer shortage get worse as I have excess inventory.

Like Eddie Southgate, I looked at selling 100k at the last gun show but decided to hold off. My thinking was that if Trump wins, prices will stay high until supply catches up (2-3 months?) and I can still sell them at a significant profit. If Biden wins, there will be more panic fueled by those who think Trump will win and things will get to normal after the election. But if Biden wins....we have no idea what normal will be...and that fuels panic.

BTW Eddie, you cannot ship primers without a HazMat certification. Do as I plan to do, and get a table at a gun show. Also, do not sell at your local gun club as it ticks people off. I experienced that during the last powder shortage from guys who knew I had stocked up and wanted powder at the price I had paid...the same couple of jerks who laughed at me for stocking up two years earlier. I did help two guys who were real friends, but I told the rest I had sold it all.

I hope Trump wins and I can sell the excess inventory for $75/1000 by the end of January. If Biden wins, $125/1000 is possible. IMHO, $40/1000 is unlikely for at least 6 months even if Trump wins.

Last thought....if Trump wins, Antifa may spin into overdrive. Then what???
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Got enough to take care of my needs, let alone 22lr. Saw fed auto match going for $40. After the last time, I swore never again.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Don,

That was my attempt at humor (wife says I'm not funny) and a small dig at those who call themselves reloaders but are always out of components a few months after things get tight . I been hoarding since the 60's and hoarders don't sell their hoard , ever . Wife says nothing I own will ever be worth anything as long as I am living because I wont ever sell it . I am way more likely to buy more than I am to sell .

Never will understand running out of primers . I can see being out of some of the powders you might want but not primers or certain key powders . I have Unique, Red Dot , 2400, Herco in large amounts because if I run out of my normal rifle powders I can always come up with a workable load from one or more of these powders for almost anything I shoot . That being said , none of them do you any good at all if you run out of primers .

I hope Trump wins for the simple fact that I absolutely detest the thought of that other Idiot and his supposed choice of a running mate controlling my government for the next four to eight years . Things are screwed up enough as it is .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm stocked up on primers and powder for several years. I cast and swage,so let the Circus continue!!

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

Last thought....if Trump wins, Antifa may spin into overdrive. Then what???
    Protecting your property and loved ones or

Target rich environment in a neighborhood near you.

In February/ March time frame I received emails from MidwayUSA and MidSouthShooters offering cases of 22 LR for $22 per brick delivered to my house (I passed). When the second email came offering $20 bricks delivered, I bought a case. I checked stock in June and both companies were OUT OF STOCK, no backorders. Amazing.

Banned

I'll state my post from earlier. If anyone has an enough standard SRP's and is near the Quincy, IL area, I could use 500. Our Lgs have none and no idea when they will have more in.

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth, the on-line retailers that I buy from are holding the line on prices. Yes, they are out of stock so the price really doesn't matter, but if they thought primers would remain in short supply, I'm sure the prices would be going up. I will just set and be patient and let the gougers have their fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer1911 View Post
    Protecting your property and loved ones or

Target rich environment in a neighborhood near you.

In February/ March time frame I received emails from MidwayUSA and MidSouthShooters offering cases of 22 LR for $22 per brick delivered to my house (I passed). When the second email came offering $20 bricks delivered, I bought a case. I checked stock in June and both companies were OUT OF STOCK, no backorders. Amazing.
    Not much chance of a target rich environment where I live now and one reason I moved to an isolated area.

I worry about my son who lives in a suburb near Detroit. He is one of those smart ignorant types who has forsaken common sense and become a Democrat. Gave him an AR and some other toys along with enough ammunition to protect himself and the family. At least I taught him to be a decent shot.

BTW, I am also an engineer...class of 74.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Don,

That was my attempt at humor (wife says I'm not funny) and a small dig at those who call themselves reloaders but are always out of components a few months after things get tight . I been hoarding since the 60's and hoarders don't sell their hoard , ever . Wife says nothing I own will ever be worth anything as long as I am living because I wont ever sell it . I am way more likely to buy more than I am to sell .

Never will understand running out of primers . I can see being out of some of the powders you might want but not primers or certain key powders . I have Unique, Red Dot , 2400, Herco in large amounts because if I run out of my normal rifle powders I can always come up with a workable load from one or more of these powders for almost anything I shoot . That being said , none of them do you any good at all if you run out of primers .

I hope Trump wins for the simple fact that I absolutely detest the thought of that other Idiot and his supposed choice of a running mate controlling my government for the next four to eight years . Things are screwed up enough as it is .

Eddie
    I think there is an undeniable level of election risk. If the wrong party sweeps everything, I anticipate that they will go after out civil rights and I imagine most gun owners will assume the same. That means ammo and components will really become unobtanium. If we end up with (once more) a divided government, I imagine the usual suspects will throw violent temper tantrums for an extended period of time. Add in a recession, pandemic, etc. Is all of this priced in? Hard to say, but I suspect not.

I don't do flinters, but I intentionally got into percussion black powder as a hedge. Have plenty of caps, and got my hands on a cap maker and tried it out to my satisfaction. I can spend an awful lot of afternoons in the forest shooting black powder with what I have on hand.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I think there is an undeniable level of election risk. If the wrong party sweeps everything, I anticipate that they will go after out civil rights and I imagine most gun owners will assume the same. That means ammo and components will really become unobtanium. If we end up with (once more) a divided government, I imagine the usual suspects will throw violent temper tantrums for an extended period of time. Add in a recession, pandemic, etc. Is all of this priced in? Hard to say, but I suspect not.

I don't do flinters, but I intentionally got into percussion black powder as a hedge. Have plenty of caps, and got my hands on a cap maker and tried it out to my satisfaction. I can spend an awful lot of afternoons in the forest shooting black powder with what I have on hand.
    Smart man . Shot Muzzleloaders before the cartridge bug bit , still got them and plenty to feed them with . Flint and Caplock both .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Smart man . Shot Muzzleloaders before the cartridge bug bit , still got them and plenty to feed them with . Flint and Caplock both .
    In the midst of a muzzleloader deer hunt right now, just taking an evening off since the river bottom we are hunting is downwind of a stock yard and there are 50 MPH winds. Never thought I would use the phrase "fecal storm," but then again it is 2020...
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Sadly, that's a deal for someone. I've seen CCI SP go for over $300 for 1 brick, plus shipping and Hazmat. Someone told me one went over $400 the other day.

I wish I could say we will be laughing about this in 3 months. I really don't think this one's going to just blow over. I think we are about to see unprecedented events that none of us are fully prepared for. I pray I am wrong.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

Yes. We are on serious trouble if Biden wins. We are also in trouble if Trump wins, and the left goes berserk. Then there's the looming financial collapse, China thinking about kicking off WW3, and of course the dreaded 2nd wave of the Rona. It's going to be...…….interesting.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Sadly, that's a deal for someone. I've seen CCI SP go for over $300 for 1 brick, plus shipping and Hazmat. Someone told me one went over $400 the other day.

I wish I could say we will be laughing about this in 3 months. I really don't think this one's going to just blow over. I think we are about to see unprecedented events that none of us are fully prepared for. I pray I am wrong.
    I just looked on GB...Ridiculous. CCI SP is in stock down the road from me for $39.99 a brick....with a limit of a half a brick a day. All other size primers limited to one brick a day and the same price. No gouging. I opened up my boxes to do a real count on primers yesterday. I’m down to 200 LMR so I’ll grab a brick tomorrow. Anything other then SP are limited to to one brick a day. They are only opened two days a week. I plan on taking someone with with me and giving them cash to grab a brick of LP for me as I’m down to just over a brick in my inventory. I might go back the 2nd day just to grab some SP in case I end up buying a mold for my 9mm and another brick of LR since I only have one brick right now. I’d like to keep 2k of everything on hand I guess. I figure I’ll keep going in and grabbing a box of something till they are out. I’m sure they will run out soon enough like everyone else. At least if I’m stocked up I can always trade someone for other size or brand primers when the next drought hits.

I guess what does everyone consider a normal amount of primers to keep on hand...that isn’t considered hoarding? I’m going to try to always keep at minimum of least 2k of everything I load for form now on.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-12-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Boolit Master
    There's no normal amount of primers, although having enough to last you for at least 2 years has a nice ring to it. Hoarding is when you're buying them up during a shortage (and paying exorbitant prices), while stocking up when supplies are plentiful and prices are normal is just plain being smart.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

When people start paying $500 per 1000, I might be a seller.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Have not been to my lgs in a few weeks. Almost afraid to look. They were getting pretty low on primers but were still selling them for 35/1000. They seemed to have plenty of powder though. I think the closer to a big city you are the more depleted it is.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    When people start paying $500 per 1000, I might be a seller.
    I save all my old primers. I've got a large trash bag of 'em. I just keep dumping them in the same bag. When it is $500 per 1000, I'll become a chemist!
    WWG1WGA

I guess what does everyone consider a normal amount of primers to keep on hand...that isn’t considered hoarding? I’m going to try to always keep at minimum of least 2k of everything I load for form now on.[/QUOTE]

I would say a normal supply of primers would be what you consume in 2 to 5 years. I have towards the 2 year mark but it will definitely get bumped up towards the 5 year mark after the dust settles. Might even start working on the life time supply and just hedge my bets and lock in current prices because ammo and parts for ammo seem to have a little higher inflation rate than most other things.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Banned
    Primers can be reloaded

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast