MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Primers !!!

Boolit Mold

I am in my early 80's, still shooting, still reloading, perhaps with less gusto than previous years. Up until Bill Clinton was elected president, I keep a limited amount of factory ammo and reloading supplies on hand, simply because they were readily available from multiple sources. When I saw the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban coming I changed my inventory philosophy. I bought several new guns that would be "outlawed" with the ban. I also began acquiring factory ammo and reloading components at a modest, but steady pace. Several times a month I would drop by my LGS or attend a gun show and buy a box or two of factory ammo or a brick of primers, or pound of powder, as long as the prices were reasonable. I've been doing that ever since and have successfully built up a decent inventory. Buy a little at a time when you can find it and prices are reasonable.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveSteamer View Post
    I am in my early 80's, still shooting, still reloading, perhaps with less gusto than previous years. Up until Bill Clinton was elected president, I keep a limited amount of factory ammo and reloading supplies on hand, simply because they were readily available from multiple sources. When I saw the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban coming I changed my inventory philosophy. I bought several new guns that would be "outlawed" with the ban. I also began acquiring factory ammo and reloading components at a modest, but steady pace. Several times a month I would drop by my LGS or attend a gun show and buy a box or two of factory ammo or a brick of primers, or pound of powder, as long as the prices were reasonable. I've been doing that ever since and have successfully built up a decent inventory. Buy a little at a time when you can find it and prices are reasonable.
    LiveSteamer,

You are a VERY smart man. Hope you are still shooting in your 90's.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    [/B]

I have to say the bolded comment is not correct. The US dollar is falling taking ours with it. Look at your grocery bill, the cost of a vehicle and you will see the dollar does not purchase what it once did. Yes you will have more dollars but they will be worth less. Your GOP and Democrats have discovered what our Prime Minister has you can fool people by just printing money. Life is good until the bill collector comes a calling in the form of inflation. You are not a prepper you are a speculator In wartime the Gov't would lock you up but in peacetime fill your boots,

Take Care
    Bob
    I think that you made his point. The value of his components didn't go down. The value of the money did.

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Local area primers were found at $50-52 per box. It wasn't a terrible day.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Cargo3...d-c2208c93c436
    That's probably going to be the price, or close to it, when this is over. I just paid 45$ + 10% tax for a brick of LR mag CCI primers on Saturday at my LGS. They had a 2K limit and did'nt look to get any more at least in any numbers worth mentioning. This is the one and only gun shop in my area that carries reloading supplies to speak of.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My LGS just got in more cci 200 LR for $39.99 a brick. They still have The cci LMR and SMP as well. Still 1 brick limit per day. I figured I have enough now for a long time. I did buy a brick of Federal Large pistol primers there for $39.99 yesterday. There were 2 & 1/2 bricks there of them for the last three weeks abs no one was buying them. A kid walked in and grabbed a brick when I was procrastinating on buying a brick. I bought the other brick to use in my 45 colt loads. That way I can stop using magnums in the colt and save the 3 bricks of LMP CCI’s i stocked up on for my 4, 44’s.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-21-2020 at 10:00 PM.

I should really try to get some more small rifle primers. I have every other flavor of primer in volume, I just cringe from the hassle of trying to find some SR.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I should really try to get some more small rifle primers. I have every other flavor of primer in volume, I just cringe from the hassle of trying to find some SR.
    I honestly don't know how you fine people are finding primers in these trying times. I live on the Idaho-Washington Border, not very far from CCI's Headquarters, but ironically, There hasn't been a set of CCI Large or Small Primers at any brick and mortar store I've been around. I've called all of the stores on a semi-regular basis and they have not been in stock for less than hours at a time in a non-regulated schedule.

I must admit to people here that I had sinned upon Gunbroker to acquire around 750 large pistol primers for my brother Galvin_Ground for around $65 overall. It will be plenty for us to get started with his Rock Island 1911, but the price was remarkably low for the current highway robbery occurring online.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/Reloading-...&Sort=0&View=1
    Here's a window into the wild world of terrible deals.

Is there any way I could get some CCI 500's from someone around here? I'd totally be up for buying some from someone at $5 per slice of 100 primers.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 10-22-2020 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

Small rifle are the only primers o haven’t run onto in the last three weeks. I have 5k and do not plan on burning through them on purpose just because I haven’t ran into any lately. I even found one brick of SP CCI’s. For $39.99 and the well went dry on them.

Boolit Master

I do not understand the logic.

If I buy 25,000 primers or ammo and shoot them all, I am a model citizen.

If I buy 25,000 primers or ammo and don't shoot it, I am a hoarder and bad person.

You worry about your possessions and I'll worry about mine.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Ive seen several single bricks go on GB for over $300. Plus hazmat. The insanity has been underway for some time

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I think that you made his point. The value of his components didn't go down. The value of the money did.
    No the value of the dollar went down. This happens when you print money to cover deficits beyond the wealth of the nation. US has not had a balanced budget since the 50"s. Clinton claims he did but his Operating surplus did not cover the interest payments on the National debt. Trudeau is about to double our National debt. If it were not for our oil reserves our dollar would be about the same as the Mexican peso! Politicians figure you can just print more money and we all will be happy. Woopppeee I'm a trillionaire says the homeless man on the street.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I honestly don't know how you fine people are finding primers in these trying times. I live on the Idaho-Washington Border, not very far from CCI's Headquarters, but ironically, There hasn't been a set of CCI Large or Small Primers at any brick and mortar store I've been around. I've called all of the stores on a semi-regular basis and they have not been in stock for less than hours at a time in a non-regulated schedule.

I must admit to people here that I had sinned upon Gunbroker to acquire around 750 large pistol primers for my brother Galvin_Ground for around $65 overall. It will be plenty for us to get started with his Rock Island 1911, but the price was remarkably low for the current highway robbery occurring online.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/Reloading-...&Sort=0&View=1
    Here's a window into the wild world of terrible deals.

Is there any way I could get some CCI 500's from someone around here? I'd totally be up for buying some from someone at $5 per slice of 100 primers.
    I haven't found any. I think my last primer buy was almost a year ago because they were cheap and don't go bad.

I imagine that if I get desperate I can probably find someone willing to trade me a brick of SR for a brick of SP. I have a brick and a half of SR so it will be a while before I get to that point. My 350 Legend cast project will presumably make a dent in that, though.

Boolit Master
    Bob,

The dollar (or any other currency) has never bought what it once did. However, when you're stocked up on $35 per k primers and the current price is nearly double that (if you can find them), then the amount of the dollar devaluation would have to be tremendous (which it is not) for you to lose money on your primers. Simple economics, whether we are talking the U.S. or Canadian dollar.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    l lent 10k SPPs to my local range last week. They load range ammo for customers @ app 3k rds a week. My nephew was out of spp. l gave him a brick. l know l will get the primers back from the range too, WITH INTEREST l started stocking up on a serious level before Y2K... l got really serious in 2008 when bozo moved to DC. The present makes the past 20 yrs seem like a block party.. BTW, l'm still buying when the price is right. l'm NOT a hoarder, just a good Boy Scout by motto ''Be Prepared''
    ps. While checking inventory l found a brick of ''SUPER VEL'' small pistol primers. Anyone remember those???

Around here one can trade 22lr one for one towards primers .
    2020 has been an awfully strange year .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    [/B]

I have to say the bolded comment is not correct. The US dollar is falling taking ours with it. Look at your grocery bill, the cost of a vehicle and you will see the dollar does not purchase what it once did. Yes you will have more dollars but they will be worth less. Your GOP and Democrats have discovered what our Prime Minister has you can fool people by just printing money. Life is good until the bill collector comes a calling in the form of inflation. You are not a prepper you are a speculator In wartime the Gov't would lock you up but in peacetime fill your boots,

Take Care
    Bob
    We can agree to disagree.

If I had kept the money in the bank, it would have generated .5-1.5% interest. The primers are worth 100% more than they originally cost. With devaluation of currencies, hard assets are preferred to cash. Things like gold, silver, diamonds, and land are hard assets. Lead, primers and powder are also hard assets.

I am both a prepper and speculator. I am not offended by the word speculator if that was your intent.

In any case, I doubt speculators have much risk of being locked up even during a war.

BTW, in the last 8 years, my Canadian cash holdings have fallen about 25% relative to the US dollar. That was well before Covid. I certainly hope the Canadian dollar can rally but that seems unlikely. I fear you are correct and the US dollar will take a dump in order to devalue our debt.

Stay safe
    Don Verna

Haven't been in a gun store since March, but I went to fill out the background check form for a rifle I ordered. Had to make an appointment and they told me it is taking 2 days, as opposed to 15 minutes when things were calm. Shelves we're almost empty but they still had a few bricks of large rifle primers. Couldn't resist, so I bought a brick for $38.99.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    I do not understand the logic.

If I buy 25,000 primers or ammo and shoot them all, I am a model citizen.

If I buy 25,000 primers or ammo and don't shoot it, I am a hoarder and bad person.

You worry about your possessions and I'll worry about mine.

Hard to argue with that logic, I totally agree.

I stopped into my LGS today. I bought the last 700 cci SMP primers they had for $33 with tax. Someone finally stopped in and bought the dozen boxes that they had sitting there for the last three weeks in the last two business days. They still have CCI LMP, LMR, and LR in stock for $39.99 a brick, 1 brick per day limit.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have any local auction houses around you keep your eye on them for primers. They do show up around me from time to time. I am thinking about selling off some of my SPP at one. No shipping involved but not GB prices.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast