Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Feasible to find or build a shoulder stock for a Single Six or SBH?

Boolit Mold

Feasible to find or build a shoulder stock for a Single Six or SBH?

Hello All,

I’m a retired military guy who’s new to this forum but not new to guns.

I would like to make or buy a stock for a Ruger Single Six and/or SBH. I did some online searching and have not found any existing ideas.

I have all the legalities covered and am only looking for advice on obtaining such a stock. I don’t want to pay the $200 for the stamp only to find out it isn’t possible and end up asking for a refund.

I know they are available for BP revolvers but prefer to stick with cartridge revolvers for this.

Thanks in advance.

Never heard of anything like that offered commercially.
    Since it would turn the pistol into a NFA item there is probably not enough call for it to warrant a manufacturer to tool up for it.
    I would suggest building your own.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Illegality aside, a shoulder stocked revolver is quite unpleasant to shoot due to the cylinder gap being so close to your face; danger to your offhand forearm; and the rear sight notch seems a mile wide. There are reasons that "revolving rifles" were never popular.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Im not sure a BP revolvers stock couldnt be modified to work, But this modification / addition would require some machine work. Most detachable stocks used a double headed hammer screw for the upper mount ( similar to the old hartford style belt carry but on both sides) SO a new screw would need to be made then the latch cut in the bottom of the grip frame.

I would recommend the first step to be a call to the BATF to check on laws, regulations, paper work and costs. then keep in mind there are fewer smiths willing to do this type of work

A way around some of this may be a cap and ball revolver with the shoulder stock there and a cartridge conversion cylinder added

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Im not sure a BP revolvers stock couldnt be modified to work, But this modification / addition would require some machine work. Most detachable stocks used a double headed hammer screw for the upper mount ( similar to the old hartford style belt carry but on both sides) SO a new screw would need to be made then the latch cut in the bottom of the grip frame.

I would recommend the first step to be a call to the BATF to check on laws, regulations, paper work and costs. then keep in mind there are fewer smiths willing to do this type of work

A way around some of this may be a cap and ball revolver with the shoulder stock there and a cartridge conversion cylinder added
    Possession of the shoulder stock, black powder gunand conversion cylinder would be a violation !

Just like having all of the parts of a suppressor but not assembled!

I saw stock made for S-6 and K22. The guy that made them didn’t want to do any mods to the guns. He bought a set of beater grips to modify to accept stock. Stocks were cut from 1” walnut plank. The attachment for these was a Pin that went into the right grip panel from rear. There was a formed brass strap that ran under gun butt. It had a 90 degree turned up. D&Ted for thumb screw that pushed duel 1/8” pins into holes in front of grip. These were both 22s and recoil was no problem. They shot like rifles. If guy had time he could further develope this

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A stock that is held to the handgun by hand pressure is another possibility; At least at one time these were OK legally since they were not permanently attached to the firearm. You could use something like JB Weld and a good mold release to get a really close fit to the grip for pretty decent 'lockup'. Saw these sold for 1911s, in the 70s or so? Sold with BATF approval letters.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone. I found a gunsmith who is willing to accept the challenge and fabricate the stock for me. Once I have the SBR stamp and the stock I’ll post pictures of the results to help the next person.

I am good with the Form 1 process and making an ATF-approved short barreled rifle using a real stock attached to the revolver.