WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballard Pacific .40-85 Everlasting

Ballard Pacific .40-85 Everlasting

Here's another video from the same shoot as the Hepburn. If it looks like I'm fumbling with loading a little, I am! I use 9.3x74R cases fire formed to .40-85, and the case rims are slightly smaller. So I'm trying to ensure the extractor stays under the rim as I chamber them.
    This is at 650 yds. also, using factory Ballard tall mid-range vernier tang sight, and fixed globe front sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJGl...brushLongshots

And this is off topic, but my ride to and from the shoot. 1200 miles on my recently road ready '39 Chevrolet coupe. 18 months of rust and rot repair, and all new drive train and suspension. Hope to paint it this winter.

Boolit Master

GREAT video
    I enjoyed all of it, including the company of folks
    Well done
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

Don't paint it.......looks good the way it is!

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Don't paint it.......looks good the way it is!
    I guess I'm old school, because I like my hotrods painted.

Boolit Man
    Outstanding!

Jeez, man. When do you sleep? DO you sleep?

Nice car.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Great looking and shooting rifle. Really enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Jeez, man. When do you sleep? DO you sleep?

Nice car.
    I'm not good at sitting still long. If I didn't have the '39 build going during this covid crap I'd have climbed the walls! I can sit for maybe an hour and do nothing, and then I get too antsy and have to find something to do.
    There's not one thing on my '39 build that I hired out, although I did try to! I got stupid prices to do all the glass, so I bought one of those glass suction cup devices, and did it all myself.
    I got stupid prices to sew up all the interior, so bought a good refurbished commercial machine, and sewed all my interior also. And of course I built the engine, and did all the suspension, including narrowing a '58 Chev truck front axle 5" and converting it to disc brakes to fit under the front.
    But after shooting the gray primer, I'll pay someone else to paint it. I don't have the room, or skills to do good paint work. But I'd try it if I had access to a booth, as that too is crazy priced.

Boolit Master
    I enjoy looking at your videos very much. In the next one, could you show the metal target while you are shooting? Thanks.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Excellent, on both counts!

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I enjoy looking at your videos very much. In the next one, could you show the metal target while you are shooting? Thanks.
    Sorry, but I'm not the video guy. Way above my pay grade GS. But he does occasionally show the metal plate during some videos. But here's another of my friend shooting the 18" dinger at 500 yds. with his Shiloh Sharps. It shows the plate inset in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUYj...brushLongshots

Boolit Master
    I have watched several of your videos and didn't know it was you. Nice to put a face to your threads.

Boolit Master
    Like said above, great video, good to see your face and put it with a name.

Thanks, but can't take credit for the videos, as I'm just one of those shooting in them, and not the maker. Our friend has always been dedicated to making the videos, and trying to encourage long-range shooting with all sorts of old guns.

Boolit Master
    Thanks a lot marlinguy. I enjoyed that very much.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master
    Marlinman93, I’m glad to find I’m not the only one who has extraction problems with modern cases extracting from a 40-85 or 40-90. I have to be sure my ramrod is available for just that reason. I have one original 40-90 round and the rim doesn’t really look that much larger, but a little more rim makes a big difference!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Marlinman93, I’m glad to find I’m not the only one who has extraction problems with modern cases extracting from a 40-85 or 40-90. I have to be sure my ramrod is available for just that reason. I have one original 40-90 round and the rim doesn’t really look that much larger, but a little more rim makes a big difference!

Froggie
    No extraction issues at all with modern brass in mine Charlie. It's chambering that requires care. I've never had any problems with extracting these 9.3x74r cases with the smaller rims. But my Pacific chamber and bore is like new condition, which makes for tight tolerances.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks Vall. I’m wondering whether I should just have a little bit of TIG welding added to increase the “bite” of the extractor. My bore is just marginally acceptable, and I’m trying to decide whether to have it bored out to 45-70 or relined to 38-55. Oddly enough, the gun is all matching numbers except the barrel and fore end that have their own (matched numbers. Also, the barrel has all the usual Marlin markings except it is totally unmarked for caliber(!?!). I’d like to find out for sure whether it will shoot acceptably with the current caliber, then decide whether to keep it as is or rebore/reline.

Froggie

PS I like your hot rod too! I can visualize it either as a sedate mid green with dark green fenders or red with flames. Do you plan to to drive it to church?
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

In your video with the guy shooting the Shiloh, what is he pushing through the bore and dropping into the tub? It sounds like something heavier than just a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    In your video with the guy shooting the Shiloh, what is he pushing through the bore and dropping into the tub? It sounds like something heavier than just a patch.
    He's using a squeegee with a wetted patch behind it. The BACO squeegee has a rubber that wipes the bore, and a oiled swab behind it. Then he uses the wetted patches and a rod to push it all down the bore.
    Seems like most serious BP shooters have gone to wiping between each shot this way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast