Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Ruger 32 H&R Mag cylinder problem?

Boolit Buddy

Ruger 32 H&R Mag cylinder problem?

I picked up a Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R magnum. It appeats to have a problem with the cylinder that I have never encountered before. When I try to chamber a round, the rims on the shells are hitting the center section of the cylinder with the notches cut in it. They will chamber if you push fairly hard, but it creates a burr or cut on the case rim and really becomes a problem when trying to eject fired cases. I have tried multiple brands of 32 S&W Long cases and Starline & Federal 32 H&R magnum cases. Almost every case hits when bein chambered.

Has anyone ever seen this or even heard about it? I'm sure that the cylinder could be turned in a lathe and just a touch of metal taken off because once the case gets by the leading edge, it chambers ok, but not something I want to try.

I guess a trip back to Ruger us in it's future but this an odd one.

Boolit Master
    Some of the earlier 32's did have various issues similar to that.
    Contact Ruger & politely tell them of the issue.

Boolit Grand Master

I had that problem with my original run SS 32 H&R (bought used....probably why it was for sale). Could have returned it to Ruger but for the cost of shipping I had a good machinist slightly open the rim recess in the center section cut outs for the rims. Took a very little cut and mostly what I paid for ($30) was setup time of the extractor on the mill for each cut.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Larry- if I understand correctly you had him make 6 semi-circle cuts next to each cylinder. I was thinking turn the entire center notched area down.

Steve

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    Larry- if I understand correctly you had him make 6 semi-circle cuts next to each cylinder. I was thinking turn the entire center notched area down.

Steve
    Larry's fix is the correct one.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since this is a known problem with Ruger, I would first contact them and see what they have to say about fixing it. After all, they built it, so who would know better what to do with it? My suggestion would be a phone call to their customer service and pose the question, suggesting that you might like to speak with a gunsmith or technician. You might get lucky.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post

Steve
    The complete arc that mates to the curve of the rim must be enlarged....not much though.

As to returning to Ruger; I had considered that but at the time Ruger wanted it shipped Fed-X and that had already cost me $45 for another revolver shipped to them. It also would have been a 2 week +/- turnaround. And then Ruger would have "fixed" the trigger job I had done...... So for $30 I got the job done in about an hour (included a lot of gun talk with the machinist) and was on my way to the range to shoot it. The Ruger SS 32 H&R is a favorite "trail gun" of mine, especially when hunting with rifle or shotgun, and I shoot it often.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla