Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R Action Opening

H&R Action Opening

Just got my new H&R BC in 45-70. I havn't shot it yet but have heard of some having problems with the action opening when fired and wondering if anyone else has. Also if they had and had it fixed what the problem was and what was done.

Boolit Master
    Haven't had that peoblem with mine yet , but I have less than 300 rounds thru it , 20 of them being factory loads for brass .

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Moderator Emeritus
    Brad,

There is a very active H&R forum at http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/. There is a FAQ section that answers most any question you could have about Hand Rifles.

I have several Handi's and several additional barrels. I have the 38-55 Buffalo Classic and like it a lot. I think I have only had a rifle open once when I was firing it. I probably didn't close it securely...

John

Made in U.S.A.
    Have a good friend that had the problem.
    He also has bear paw hands. His thumb would hit the barrel release
    on recoil and open the action ejecting the spent case.
    Changed his hold and the problem went away.

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

If the barrel locking lug does not have very much engagement it can happen.

If you mark the face of the barrel lug with a black marker, then open & close the action, you'll be able to see the amount of engagement. Seems the amount varies considerably, but you should have around .080"-.125". Hopefully it engages all the way across as well. If it only touches on one side, be sure to tell us how it shoots - seen a few the had terrible accuracy that only locked up on one side.

Also, make sure there isn't any oil on the lug.

Boolit Master
    And don't do as I did. I failed to trim my brass on my .270 and the thing would pop open almost every shot. Trimmed the brass and the problem left. I dunno what I was thinking...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Thanks for the replies, i appreciate the information.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim View Post
    If the barrel locking lug does not have very much engagement it can happen.

If you mark the face of the barrel lug with a black marker, then open & close the action, you'll be able to see the amount of engagement. Seems the amount varies considerably, but you should have around .080"-.125". Hopefully it engages all the way across as well. If it only touches on one side, be sure to tell us how it shoots - seen a few the had terrible accuracy that only locked up on one side.

Also, make sure there isn't any oil on the lug.
    I checked mine out and it appears to engage aboue .050". It also engages all the way across so i have my fingers crossed. It might wear in aswell. My o/u shotgun was the same.The more i shot it the more engagement of the lug.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had the problem OBXPilgrim described. I marked it to show me the trace contacts, figured out that it need more and VERY judiciously polished / filed the lug engagement area until I got more. Now it locks up as tight as can be. Too little engagement and recoil would pop it open. Unnerveing. You can test the action, of sorts, by an open handed slap under the hinge area. At least it worked for me.

I checked the egagement on mine and it seemed to be a little shy but i ran 40 rds through it anyway. No problems with it opening. I checked it again and the engagement improved. I went to Greybeards site and was told to make sure that the lug area is kept dry. Any lube here can also cause the same problem.
    Lean into 'er and let 'er buck!!!

Boolit Master

Mine flew open with heavy loads, with the lug dry. I fixed the problem though; (I unloaded it. )As, got a refund.
    Jack

I have a 12 gauge Parder model. Fired hundreds of shells through it with no problem. Months ago I fired it for the first time in over a year. I was using some shells a friend gave to me. They weren't reloads they were factory ammo, labeled "Universal" by Winchester.
    I fired 2 shells but stopped after that because the action was opening up after firing.

I did notice this ammo had substantially more recoil than the normal skeet loads I'd been using with zero issues. My guess is that's what caused the barrel to open up.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

did notice this ammo had substantially more recoil than the normal skeet loads I'd been using with zero issues. My guess is that's what caused the barrel to open up.
    You're right about the recoil. The recoil causes the gun to move backward, and when the gun is stopped by the shoulder, the inertia force yanks the locking lug out of engagement - especially if the gun is worn or the spring is weak.
    My trusty ol' Winchester mod 37 punt gun - mounted on the deck of my sneak boat- does it every time. Makes for a faster reloading
    Cap'n Morgan

Banned

I had that happen on my NEF, when it was brand new! 2 shots later it was back to NEF. They fixed it and sent it back, no problems at all now.

My 45-70 BC used to do this. It never opened with smokeless loads, (never loaded it very hot) but would do so with black powder loads. I could fire a few and then it would start to open. Once I cleaned it, it was fine for a while and then would start to open again. I'm pretty sure it was due to fouling and bullet lube on the locking surfaces. I finally got tired of that and sold it, and haven't looked back since.

Boolit Master

Never had it happen on my 45-70, but on my .223 it did when I loaded an 80gr. Jacketed. It flattened the primers and had a good bit of recoil for a .223. Kinda hot. Never did it with 50-55 gr. bullets. I have loaded my 45-70 to the gunnels to the point of painful recoil and it never did open once.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    At one time, I thought that I'd like to own an H & R, the more I read about this issue, the less I think I want one ...........

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    At one time, I thought that I'd like to own an H & R, the more I read about this issue, the less I think I want one ...........
    I've fired 100s of 45-70 and 12 ga rounds through mine and never had a problem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    I've fired 100s of 45-70 and 12 ga rounds through mine and never had a problem.
    Me to!

I have 100 plus rds through my B.C now without a problem.
    Lean into 'er and let 'er buck!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast