RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 mag boolit diameter

Vendor Sponsor

If you don't have much of the driving band of the boolit proud of the case it wouldn't matter what you sized to, as long as they chamber, they will fire. Pushing a .432" cast boolit through .429" throats works IF you can chamber the round, it's not optimum but somebody that doesn't shoot the gun wouldn't know the difference anyway like Larry said.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Greg: just buy the .431 mould, and make sure you get the "Gas Check" version so it won't lead the barrel. You can size the boolits smaller when you lube them or PC them to make them bigger, but since he has never shot the gun how would he know.

"You'll" get good enough accuracy with either.

This is the first mould I ever bought and cast boolits for my S&W M 29. It was nothing to get 1.5" groups at 25 yards and we did it weekly at the Police Pistol Range in Ventura CA. 23 gr of H110

If you got a Plain Based Mould sizing becomes more critical. But you can also run these just fine with 8.0 gr of W231 and have some fun instead of beating yourself to hell with the hot loads in a S&W Revolver.

I still have that mould and it still is one of the best .44 cal boolits anyone ever came up with.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I just got the lee 429 240 2r round nose and the 429 214 swc for my traditions 44 mag rifle. Just got them in today so need to cast them up this weekend.

Boolit Master
    For what the OP describes as his intended use and as his desired amount of expense I suggest he buy Lee 90285 which is the two cavity.429-200-RF design. It is easy to cast and powder coats well. In wheel weight or alloys around 96/2/2 it will be close to .429 as it drops and with powder coat by shake'n bake will size to .430. From what I speculate from his inquiry, I doubt that the OP wishes to ream throats or buy pins. The above will shoot just fine and rival most any lead over the counter ammo if you follow a recipe from reliable sources.

prs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12