RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal #1 Sizer

Boolit Grand Master

Ideal #1 Sizer

All I can figure is that this old #1 Lubri-Sizer just didn't get noticed. I got it for the opening bid, which wouldn't have been a super great deal except it has both the clamp and wrench included! I already have one I've been using for years, so I think I'll probably set this one up dedicated to a .313" sizing die and a fairly soft lube so as to avoid putting too much stress on it. My old home brewed "Frog Guano" lube might be a good candidate, or maybe even the old school black lube from Ideal if I can find a steady source.

Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #1 Lube Sizer.jpg  
    "It aint easy being green!"

Froggie, do those take the same dies as the later Lymans?
    Thanks,
    Dennis

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post
    Froggie, do those take the same dies as the later Lymans?
    Thanks,
    Dennis
    I'm not Froggie, but yes, basically. The O-ring was added when the 450 was introduced, the #1 and #45 sizers use set screws to secure the H die in the sizer body. The O-ring dies still have a groove in the body so that they can be secured in the older sizers.

The non-o-ring dies are more prone to leaking lube around the top in the newer sizers, and the o-ring can cause the newer dies to be a little snug in the older sizing presses, but they are all at least basically usable through the generations.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Neat, thanks for sharing. Wasn't there also a number 2?

Boolit Grand Master
    Since NZ answered your first question, let me start by answering your second one with a yes. Ideal made a #2 Lubricator-Sizer, a sort of "industrial grade" unit... in fact there was one on the 'Bay recently at a starting bid of $1000 IIRC. There has been discussion of this very one on the ARTCA Forum in the last week or so, and it turns out that they were never all that common, being big and expensive, and had as their target market military armories.

Back to the dies for the various sizing dies, in a rare case of practicality, Lyman has kept the same basic size and design of dies so that the newest die can be used in the oldest press. The reverse is not true, however as the O-ring that was added to the later dies is necessary to seal the later presses, so the old dies don't work well there. I don't plan to look very hard for "original" dies for this one, since the newer ones work well by design.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 10-09-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Boolit Master

That's sweet. I need to start scanning ebay more closely !

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    That's sweet. I need to start scanning ebay more closely !
    I’m still kinda gob smacked with this particular transaction. I’ve seen the clamp go by itself for nearly what I paid for the whole thing, and the wrenches are almost as expensive. I guess the stars just aligned for me this time, but I will admit I went back in with just an hour or less to go and significantly increased my “automatic” bid, but nobody else challenged my opening bid, so that was all I had to pay.

I got my first one nearly 20 years ago at “The Nation’s Gun Show” in Chantilly, VA under similar circumstances for only $30. I didn’t think lightning would strike twice, but I guess it did. In the meantime I’ve seen some pretty good deals on presses missing the clamp and/or wrench, but those items make up a significant cost to the package and complete sets have been crazy high.

I’m just counting my blessings and waiting for this one to arrive.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Every once in a while the stars align that one looks almost like new.

Thanks for the info.

I use one of the older dies without O rings in my 450. I don't have any issues with it leaking. It had a step inside instead of a tapered lead. I changed it to a tapered lead. I use it without issues.

Banned

Looks like a neat old lubrisizer.......good score!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I use one of the older dies without O rings in my 450. I don't have any issues with it leaking. It had a step inside instead of a tapered lead. I changed it to a tapered lead. I use it without issues.
    That was the longtime complaint... that step had a tendency to shave lead rather than squeeze it into place. It became an article of faith for the schuetzen community that you had to have a properly sized mould so you could shoot your bullets as cast. As you discovered, simply putting a taper at the mouth of the die eliminated the problem. I guess to be historically correct one would have to use the inferior, old style die, but for once, “New and Improved” really is!

Froggie

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Way to go Froggie ! Lucky for both of us that I didn't see that one .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 10-10-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

nice snag ! I saw that myself and decided it would go high out of sight and never looked back opps ! Lightning will strike twice. I have on two separate occasions found the top for the #6 powder measures in a odd box or pile of stuff. gotta keep a sharp eye out...

Boolit Grand Master
    The good news is that a package arrived at my door late yesterday afternoon, containing a complete #1 Lube Sizer. Mechanically it seems fine. The bad news is that it had been recently slathered with black enamel which in places was still a little soft and sticky. It’s definitely worth (to me) what I paid for it, but I kinda wish they’d left the paint in the can!

The top punch looks like it was intended for a RN 38 bullet and there is no sizing die, just the empty hole. I haven’t checked into what (if any) lube is in it. All in all, I’m pleased with my purchase. I just have to let the new paint finish drying and hardening or strip it off and start again.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Too bad about the paint. I'd strip it before it fully cures. If you don't leave the stripper on too long, you can probably get it off without harming the old oruginal paint.

Anyone have a picture of an "IDEAL No. 2" Lube-sizer Press?

I'd like to see what one looks like!

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can get onto the ARTCA forum, there was a thread there about the one that sold recently on fleaBay. It’s pretty impressive.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Lightning strikes again!

Lightning has struck again! While perusing the ’Bay I spotted a poorly presented First Model Lubricant-Sizer. The kicker was that although it was missing the wrench, it had the clamp, which was held in place by the surprising expedient of using what appears to be an old “Super Ball” to clamp it on. Several years ago I had bought an orphan wrench and stashed it, knowing I would need it someday. As a bonus, this is a Middlefield example, while my previous examples were New Havens. Life is good!

Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600-1.jpg   s-l1600-2.jpg  
    Last edited by Green Frog; 11-07-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Add pictures

Nice score, congratulations. I love to find a poorly represented deal.

Boolit Grand Master
    The best opportunities I’m finding on the ‘Bay these days generally come from people who either go to auctions or yard salads or are selling grandpa’s stuff that they don’t know what it is or white what to call it. It sneaks through that way.

Froggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast