Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Cast boolits for 300black

Boolit Bub

Cast boolits for 300black

Anyone using cast boolits for white tails in the 300blk?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDusty View Post
    Anyone using cast boolits for white tails in the 300blk?
    Yes, but it depends on if you need gas to cycle a semi auto or if you're working with a bolt or single shot.

I have two loads I'm working up...ranch dog 312-165 wfn boolit and a mp 314-140 hp mold. Both for a bolt gun

I have had the lee 170 fn and the 150 fn to cycle in an ar before, they should do dandy

The prob I have found with 300 blk and hunting is that to push a boolit with enough momentum to pass through, you end up with pretty sharp pressures from the tiny 300 blk case...alot like 9mm. Not much room in there with fast burning powders means higher pressure round. For cast that means gas check and powder coat and accuracy that may not be moa.

Alloys that will expand and still withstand the pressure of the caliber is a dance. I've done it (surprisingly) with the lee 312-155 2r gc/powder coat at just over 2k fps ..that load was way too hot but expanded nicely. I wouldn't feel comfortable using that one all the time. So it's a dance. My theory is a wide flat nose or hp boolit would be the way to go and still get relatively short range performance from the caliber.

I really like 300 blk, from making the brass to casting for it... shooting it...I really like it's diversity. For cast performance on whitetail, 3006 and 3030 are much easier to get than with this round. (Like slicing watermelon with a paring knife....you can do it but it's alot tougher than other tools)

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Don't hunt deer but hogs. BO will do very well at closer distance. GD 150 expands @ 1400 but you can push to 1900 easy. Cast will go just as fast. Like the 30/30, good to 100 yds or so. 125 SST has a good reputation in BO as a killer also. 30 carbine was a good (1950s) woods deer killer & BO is much more so.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    I am using a semi-auto. Built it for hunting, but not really impressed. Shot several deer with it using 125 sst and 125 ballistic tips. Lost one with a behind the shoulder shot, very little blood. Shot another behind the shoulder, for a double lung shot. It ran 25 yds. and stopped like I had missed it. Shot it in the neck and he went down. No blood, but when I skinned it, the bullet went in and blew up the lung, but didn’t exit. Was planning on going to a heavier bullet. That’s why I was thinking about cast bullets.

Boolit Master

Mihec had made a run of 311-410 HP with a gas check a while back. They work great on my Blackout (Ruger bolt).
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Bub
    Following

31-142D GC, 184C GC or 168D PB also run the 142C PB but alloy has to be harder. The RD style work with lancer mags. i push all of them hard in pistol & carbine.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    31-142D GC, 184C GC or 168D PB also run the 142C PB but alloy has to be harder. The RD style work with lancer mags. i push all of them hard in pistol & carbine.
    Who makes these molds?

Accurate moulds.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    I developed a load using the Lee 309-150F that I hope to use on deer this year. Cast using 50/50 COWW/SOWW, air cooled, gas checked, powder coated. Using H110, they cycle just fine in my 300 with 16" barrel, 1:8 twist, pistol length gas. Groups are sub 1.25" @ 50 yards, which is suitable for my needs at my hunting spot.

DustyDirty @ Might look at the 142D I push to 2k fps in carbine (17gr H110 max load). FN GC I PC but also use BLL (LLA & JLW). I use 3% SB and heat treat.
    Whatever!