Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: 7.62×25 bullets for .30 carbine?

Boolit Buddy

7.62×25 bullets for .30 carbine?

I have an opportunity to pick up several hundred rds of 7.62×25 ammo. It's mostly surplus but there is at least some new'ish S&B in there as well.

Can I use the bullets for my M1 carbine or would I be better off passing on them?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    They will "work" for plinking in the .30 Carbine, but are not high quality for accurate rifle use. You would be MUCH better off selling the ammo to somebody who wants to feed their TT33 or Cz52 and using the proceeds to buy correct .30 carbine bullets of rifle quality.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    They will "work" for plinking in the .30 Carbine, but are not high quality for accurate rifle use. You would be MUCH better off selling the ammo to somebody who wants to feed their TT33 or Cz52 and using the proceeds to buy correct .30 carbine bullets of rifle quality.
    That's what I figured but was entertaining the hope lol

cargo, where are you located?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    cargo, where are you located?
    Houston

I had buddy call me from show last year. He knows I like to fool with light bullets in 30/30. He saw Hornady 90gr XTPs 30cal, guy had 2 boxes cheap. He got them for me they are .309” , I don’t know if they are going to be any good for 30/30 purposes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I had buddy call me from show last year. He knows I like to fool with light bullets in 30/30. He saw Hornady 90gr XTPs 30cal, guy had 2 boxes cheap. He got them for me they are .309” , I don’t know if they are going to be any good for 30/30 purposes.
    I have 2-100 ct boxes of Hunter 111gr .311 hps if you're interested in trading.
    Last edited by Cargo; 10-09-2020 at 10:48 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    They are THE bullet of choice for .30 M1 carbine, 7.62x25 and for +P in .32 ACP.

See no reason they wouldn't be fine in the .30-30 at similar velocities.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Echoing what Outpost75 said, and I would be that person if you're interested, of course.

Most 7.62*25 surplus is steel core, steel copper washed jacket. They will be hard on your barrel. I recommend measuring bullets with a micrometer before setting them because they may be 0.311 not 0.308.
    Remember that Tokarev TT33 and Shpagin PPSH-41 barrels had been made with the buttons retired from making Mosin and machinegun barrels. Once the button wore off, they stopped using barrels made with it for rifles and only used for handguns and "spray and pray" SMGs. Their barrels are supposed to be 30 cal and the bullets are supposed to match, but you never know.
    In Russia, criminals that obtained TT but not the ammo for it fired 9 mil in them, and it actually pushed the bullet through the 30 cal barrel OK. TT is one strong bastard. But I would not want to push an oversized steel core and steel jacketed bullet through M1 carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Most 7.62*25 surplus is steel core, steel copper washed jacket. They will be hard on your barrel. I recommend measuring bullets with a micrometer before setting them because they may be 0.311 not 0.308.
    Remember that Tokarev TT33 and Shpagin PPSH-41 barrels had been made with the buttons retired from making Mosin and machinegun barrels. Once the button wore off, they stopped using barrels made with it for rifles and only used for handguns and "spray and pray" SMGs. Their barrels are supposed to be 30 cal and the bullets are supposed to match, but you never know.
    In Russia, criminals that obtained TT but not the ammo for it fired 9 mil in them, and it actually pushed the bullet through the 30 cal barrel OK. TT is one strong bastard. But I would not want to push an oversized steel core and steel jacketed bullet through M1 carbine.
    Woah, sounds like a real strong pistol!
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I was thinking the same thing
    My tok likes .311

Boolit Master
    Personally I think you are better off selling it, especially since milsurp is harder to come by now

Boolit Master

If they are in loaded ammo as you did not state> Then they are pulled down bullets. I would say go for it.

How ever it sounds they are loaded ammo in case ready to fire in the actual caliber, You would be nuts to pull and use in the carbine.

Sell them as-is and use the money to buy bullets to use.