WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillon cv500 case tumbler crapped out

Boolit Buddy

Does anyone know the approx rpm of the motor? any case tumbler motors rpm would get me in the ballpark.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You could look for a video on YouTube or Dillon's web site and try to guess the RPMs from the sound of the tumbler, I think my tumblers have been on the order of 5-10 Rotations per Second roughly? But this is under load, not unloaded. Should be a data plate on the motor telling all or at least the motor's maker and specs?

Boolit Master
    I don't have a Dillon cleaner, but when my well abused (well over a decade, maybe 2 now) FA unit started slowing down and struggling to start, as a last ditch effort before purchasing a new one, I put a drop of oil on the motor shaft, spun it by hand, let it sit a while then spun it again. It has it has maybe a few days (2 hours per use) worth of use on it since and seems like new again. When I was younger I was a brass rat, now I have my supply and am not "that guy" any more, so my cleaner use is a fraction of what it was. I don't think any company I have dealt with has the same warrarany on eletronic items as non-powered things....even HF, but we won't start on their electric tools.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    I have a CV-500 tumbler. The motor burned out after a few years. I returned the tumbler to Dillon, and they replaced the motor for $35. A year and a half later, the motor burned out again. I had retired, and was using the tumbler much more. I contacted Dillon again, and they responded, that that motor is no longer made, and Dillon used up the existing stock they had, replacing all the burned out motors in the CV-500 tumblers. It was a proprietary motor that they used, and you would not find a replacement elsewhere. I was informed by them, that they discovered the original A.O. Smith motor they used, was not up to the job of powering the tumbler.

Dillon then went to the same motor that they use in the CV-1000. The cost would be $105 for the new motor, and the required different mounting hardware. They renamed the upgraded tumbler the CV-750. At first I wasn't going to pay that, and purchased a Lyman 1200 tumbler for $50. That was 10 years ago, and the Lyman is still running great. Anyhow I got tired of looking at the disabled Dillon tumbler, and broke down, and sent the tumbler, and a check for $105 to Dillon, just to have a spare tumbler. It came back with the upgraded motor, and looking like new. It's still sitting in the box, on the shelf, waiting for the Lyman tumbler to die. It may be quite a wait.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you lube a motor shaft I'd suggest sewing machine oil or the like instead of heavy grease, particularly multiweight grease; Why do I say this? Because multiweight oil gets thicker as it gets hot and when I put some on my fan shaft, the fan would spin up to full speed, then as it heated up it would slow down to far too slow a speed. I degreased it and used sewing machine oil and it worked properly from then on.

Boolit Master
    Buy a Lortone
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

My CV-500 died as well. I had purchased it new. When it died I was running it day and night so heat was probably a contributing factor. Dillon sent a new motor at a reasonable price. It didn’t last long. They made a reasonable offer to put a CV-750 motor on it but I had to ship it to them. Not a direct swap. Bigger motor is a regular motor instead of an open frame fan motor like the original. There’s a huge difference in power. I don’t regret having it repaired.

I also had a CV-2000 but it was very big, heavy and hard to handle due to a permanent injury in my arm. It was at chest level. At normal counter top height it wouldn’t have been as cumbersome.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    My CV-500 died as well. I had purchased it new. When it died I was running it day and night so heat was probably a contributing factor. Dillon sent a new motor at a reasonable price. It didn’t last long. They made a reasonable offer to put a CV-750 motor on it but I had to ship it to them. Not a direct swap. Bigger motor is a regular motor instead of an open frame fan motor like the original. There’s a huge difference in power. I don’t regret having it repaired.

I also had a CV-2000 but it was very big, heavy and hard to handle due to a permanent injury in my arm. It was at chest level. At normal counter top height it wouldn’t have been as cumbersome.
    Can you post a picture of the motor and how it is mounted?

Boolit Master

Unfortunately I can’t right now. Everything is in storage for a few more weeks. I’ll try to remember to post a photo when I move into my new shop.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12