Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon cv500 case tumbler crapped out

Boolit Buddy

Dillon cv500 case tumbler crapped out

I bought a used dillon cv500 case tumbler and before I could get one load of brass done it started going slow. it wouldnt shake enough to clean the soot off the cases. This tumbler is almost new, its in perfect shape. you can tell it was rarely used. The slow motion is obviously why the guy was selling it.

Has anyone had this problem with these machines? I thought Dillon's products were top notch. My junk harbor freight tumbler is miles better so far. I took it apart and the bearings are still good. I've never had a motor act like this.

Will Dillon do anything about this? Is there a motor that can be retrofitted to work?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Dillon lifetime warranty?
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Bub
    I had the same problem on 2 of them. Called Dillon, the replaced the motors at no charge.

Boolit Grand Master

You bought a used unit that apparently had problems, which is why it was being sold, and you’re blaming Dillon? Just asking because I’d be mad at the guy a I bought it from more than the manufacturer. Call Dillon and see what they will do for you. It’s the only way you will find out.

Boolit Buddy
    dillon has a limited warranty on electric powered devices now if they dont warranty it you may be able to buy a replacement motor from them , I have the large one and done many 5 gallon buckets of brass and still going strong

Dillon's NO BS warranty is BS on their tumblers. My motor quit on their big tumbler and it is $121 to replace it plus I have to send the old motor back. I switched to SS pins and Dillon's tumbler is still sitting

Boolit Buddy

I think Dillon should at least guarantee the motors for as long as the original manufacturer engineered them to last. I bet that most of the motors, at least the defective cv-500 ones broke way before dillon or the manufacturer thought they would.

Boolit Master
    I have had good experiences with my Dillon tumblers. I have three.

One of my 500’s lasted around 20 years and I abused the fire out of it. I tumble in a shed away from the house and my reloading area. I would constantly forget about it for days. One time it ran for a week in the summer. It must have easily been 110 + degrees in that shed. It was still running when I went out there.

I was surprised how much it cost to replace the motor down the road. I had them put a 750 motor in it. I only remember that it was over $100. I’ve had no problems from the other two.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 10-09-2020 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Add
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwing View Post
    Dillon's NO BS warranty is BS on their tumblers.
    The tumblers and some other items don’t carry this warranty. Which isn’t surprising since motors are going to fail. The motor manufactures don’t usually offer warranties so I don’t see why Dillon would.

Boolit Master

Several Decades ago, I Bought the large Dillon Vibratory Tumbler (now model 2001) and used it for several years - literally tumbling 100,000's rifle/pistol cases. At the time I was in the military and it was put in storage when I was assigned overseas for two years. Came back and had my "Stuff" shipped to my new duty station; after a couple of months I completed unpacking and "SURPRISE" the Dillon Vibratory Tumbler, all my .44Mag, 38Spcl, and 30-06 reloading items had disappeared with my other reloading equipment still there (Selective Stealing). Anyway; by then when I bought a new Dillon Tumbler to replace the previous one; Dillon no longer offered their "NO BS" warranty on items. Two years later the Dillon Tumbler crapped out. Called Dillon; and the replacement motor was 60% of the cost of a new Tumbler. I decided to buy low end/less know brand names and throw them out when they broke. The Dillon broken tumbler sits on a shelf in a cabinet in the reloading shed unrepaired; I have gone through three lesser grade tumblers now; and am just about even on cost had I repaired the Dillon unit. I still have lots of Dillon products and they are of good quality; but prices can be high and a cost benefit analysis is sometimes worth doing on some items.

As an aside on the discussion; I had been told that one could use a "Bathroom Exhaust Fan Motor" as a replacement on Tumblers. Tried to find a comparable motor for the Dillon for months unsuccessfully; should someone know of a suitable replacement motor through other sources; share it with the group - Would be nice to pull that Dillon Unit out of the Storage Closet and put it back to work after all these years.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I am the second owner of a Dillon 2000. I knew the previous owner and he ran many thousanda of cases through it before I bought it from his widow. I ran thousands of cases through it with no problems. It is sitting now that I have switched to a rotary and SS pins.

Boolit Buddy

I tried to call Dillon. I was on hold for over 30 mins. I gave up for now.
    Does anyone know the rpm of the motor? If I can find one that has the same or close rpm, diameter shaft and will physically fit underneath, I will fabricate and weld up a mount so I can use a regular type motor, not that toy looking junk motor that it has. I want to re-use the original offset weight that is shaped like a fan blade to circulate air to cool the motor.
    Last edited by bigjake; 10-09-2020 at 11:13 PM. Reason: replace to re- use

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You bought a used unit that apparently had problems, which is why it was being sold, and you’re blaming Dillon? Just asking because I’d be mad at the guy a I bought it from more than the manufacturer. Call Dillon and see what they will do for you. It’s the only way you will find out.
    The guy i bought it from didnt use it himself, he said he plugged it in and it worked, In which it did for me also, just slowly. The guy wouldnt have paid attention to the rpm, it vibrated thats all he was concerned with.

So I should be mad at him? But not upset with the premier reloading products manufacturer of the world? Who at one time claimed a no BS guarantee?
    I'm sure AO Smith assured or guaranteed that their motors would work for a long time or Dillon wouldn't have went with them.
    Since there was such a problem with the AO smith motors on the CV-500 why didn't Dillon go after them?
    You dont need to stick up for Dillon, the are big enough to stand on their own.

Boolit Buddy

I'm totally glad that those of you that had good luck with their tumblers are happy. LUBEDUDE, thats crazy how that CV-500 lasted for a week in the summer heat!
    I sure hope that Dillon is straight up with their other equipments warranties.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    I tried to call Dillon. I was on hold for over 30 mins. I gave up for now.
    Does anyone know the rpm of the motor? If I can find one that has the same or close rpm, diameter shaft and will physically fit underneath, I will fabricate and weld up a mount so I can use a regular type motor, not that toy looking junk motor that it has. I want to replace the original offset weight that is shaped like a fan blade to circulate air to cool the motor.
    Bigjake;

Not trying to be "Know It All"; but that offset weight is required to cause the tumbler to vibrate. It's designed to cause an imbalance on the shaft and that is what makes the Tumbler vibrate to cause the media to move and abrade the trash and corrosion off the brass.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Dillon does not offer the No BS warranty on every product. The 1050 being the most well known of these. They do have multi year warranties on these products. So like I said, call them and see what they will do for you. I can’t tell you how many motors I’ve replaced in my trade over the years. What I can tell you is that they quality gets worse every day. The smaller the motor the less the manufacturer cares because they consider them disposable.

Boolit Master

I've been running a Lyman 1200 for 38yrs.
    A Thumblers Ultra-Vibe 10 for 32yrs.
    The lining on the Thumblers "tub" died after 3yrs. $65 + shipping for a new one. Screw that.
    Bought a Lyman 2200 "tub" for $25 shipping included.
    Everything is working great.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Commercial reloaders were abusing Dillon's no BS warrantee by continuously using (24x7x365xmany-years)
    Dillon products with electronics until they failed, then calling Dillon and getting yet another replacement, ad-infinitum.

As a result, Dillon put a limited warrantee on their products that contained electronics (i.e. vibrating tumblers, electronic scales, etc.).
    Note that, if you can somehow document that the broken electronic product you have was purchased before Dillon
    changed their policy, Dillon will replace that product. You may have to remind them of that fact

Also note, this is Dillon's policy, not mine, so if you don't agree with it then don't complain to me about it.
    Last edited by edp2k; 10-09-2020 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a bowl case cleaner and have done a few "repairs" to it over the last 30 years. Clean up the motor if you have the mechanical skills, get a better or bigger motor or just send it back to Dillon. The motor is somewhat generic and uses a weight on the shaft to help create the 'good vibrations'. They are simple devices designed to shortcut the box of cases with media in the pickup bed driven down a bumpy road!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

I think my CV500 is about 10 or so years old, heck, maybe even 15 and it still runs like a top. My RCBS tumbler went south on me. My Berry is pretty good for the money too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast