RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Looking for a light 44 mould...

Boolit Master

Looking for a light 44 mould...

Normally would not ask here, but I am helping a young man learn to load and eventually cast. His most basic, easy to load for case in use is 44 mag. I have never geared up for this caliber as I don't load for it, 41 mag for me. I have ended up, over time, with a pair of moulds the Lyman 429244 2C and 429421 1C. Both are very heavy and 1 is gas checked. Once we have his casting space ready, he will be learning the art. I would like to find something lighter, maybe in the 200 to 220 grain range that is not gas checked. Once he starts casting, the mould would be gifted to him since he will have worked up loads for it and could continue to use it. 1C is fine, 2C better and if it needs cleaned up... I can do it. If it needs lapped, I can do it.

This is going to be fun, starting from scratch with him that is. He will learn to work with all of his calibers over time, but 44 is the most basic he has. In addition he will be learning 10mm, 32-20, 22 Hornet, 22 K Hornet and 17 Hornet, 30-30, 30-06 and 221 FB. He inherited some reloading gear and nice guns from his grandpa, was a shooter before but now wants to really learn.

Thanks Matt

I've been very pleased with the Lee 200 rnfp with 4.9 gr, RedDot in a 44mag case.Cheap easy accurate

Moderator Emeritus

I have both the Lee 429-200-RF and the Lee 429-214-SWC
    I like the 214gr SWC the best, my mold drops boolits at .431 so that aspect is great.
    Sadly, I am not willing to permanently part with either mold at this time, I would consider borrowing them out thought...but both designs are currently available from Lee's vendors.

Titan is a website sponsor, and they are real good, but personally I like FSreloading

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...9-214-swc.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I suggest using the 429421. It's the classic bullet for both 44 special and magnum, so data is available across a huge spectrum. It is a very easy to load caliber and bullet combination.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the comments, he is a bit out from casting and I will be casting for him for a bit. I really do like the design of the 429421, it is everything I would look for in a 41 mag bullet. I may just stick with it and help him work up a download for his gun. It is an excellent full power bullet, have used it in my 1 and only 44, before I put it away. 3" Lew Horton Smith. Just do not shoot it as it now only has 12 rounds thru it.
    Last edited by mattw; 10-08-2020 at 06:20 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My go-to light bullet in the .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Magnum and .44-40 is the Accurate 43-206H.

Very accurate, feeds well in most lever actions, and the large meplat is effective on game.

Load 4 to 4.5 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup in the .44 Russian, 5 to 6 grains in the .44 Special, 6 grains in the .44-40 and 6 to 7 grains in the .44 Magnum.

Attachment 269051Attachment 269052Attachment 269053Attachment 269054
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.