RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good rifle for ARA benchrest shooting

A good rifle for ARA benchrest shooting

I have been watching a few of our club members shooting 22lr rifles for benchrest competition. They are using the ARA factory class targets at 50 yards.
    The match is 25 rounds fired in 20 minutes.
    They have a couple of shooters who are shooting perfect or near perfect scores.
    From a bench, I am capable of holding that good a group. I have a centerfire rifle that I can consistently shoot 1 inch or less at 200 yards. Approximately 7/8 of an inch at 50 yards should be easy enough. I just need a rifle that is capable of it. I understand about the rifle needing to like the ammo.
    It has to be a factory rifle. No custom rifles need apply.
    I prefer to keep the cost at or below $1000.
    I own a couple of CZ bolt rifles, but they won't consistently hold the necessary groups. The 452 trainer I have will shoot the groups, but the impact point wanders as the barrel heats up. After about 15 rounds the impact point moves up to 1/2 inch, usually high left. I think it may be because of the band around the barrel at the sight. I can't modify the rifle due to rules. It must be used as it comes from the factory other than a trigger or crowning the barrel.
    I could use some suggestions and would like to hear your experiences on what rifle might serve best.

Boolit Master
    CZ455 American or American Varmint. The new 457 seems as good, but haven't had my mitts on it. I have the 455 American. No sights on the American and the barrels are free floated. At 25 yards with SK or Wolf its one hole with just a bipod, don't have bags(they are on my Amazon wish list for anybody listening) . Never had the opportunity to take it further with that ammo. CCI SV at 100 is 1-2 inches. The Varmint barrel will control any heat, but with ammo thats subsonic, heat shouldn't be an issue.

Boolit Master
    What are the other competitors using?

This would be a good choice.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101376673

I bought one second hand for that kind of money or a little less. It will hold those size groups but for the wind. With .22 LR wind is a big deal but maybe not so much at 50 yards. I have been shooting mine at 100 yards.

Correction mine is a Mark 10 like this one.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...RST&ajaxhist=0

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I am told that wind can be a factor, even at 50 yards. I don't have much experience there. The wind was nearly nonexistent when I was doing my testing. The range where I shoot is shielded by trees and hills to a great extent.
    Some of the competitors are using Anshutz rifles and some are using CZ varmint rifles.
    I am kind of looking at this one https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-varmint-mtr/
    I expect it will be somewhat hard to find though.
    Around this area, Anshutz rifles are few and far between and thus expensive.
    Also looking at Savage B22 rifles.
    Last edited by tazman; 10-08-2020 at 04:42 AM.

This may be heresy, but several years back 3 friends bought identical Ruger Target 10-22's. Heavy barrel, laminated stock, stainless steel model. All 3 shoot better than they have a right to. And trigger jobs are easy.

They have been shot in our 100 yard egg shoot, 10 eggs, 10 shots. The large eggs are on end towards you. Not much more than an inch at 100 yards. And have gotten all 10.

They have held their own against the Anschutz/Model 52's/Kimber's.

And the guys shooting them are trap/skeet shooters, they bought them as a diversion to shoot on rainy days because the rifle range has a covered firing line. They are NOT serious rifle shooters.

Or a older 77/22. New trigger and sear that should be available on line. Mine shoots very well and the added advantage of a nice walk around woodchuck rifle.

I have to agree with 15meter.

Back in my younger days shotgun hulls laid on their sides brass end towards me at 100 was 10 out of 10 on a good day.
    Bad days I'd miss one.

I can still do it with my mostly stock Ruger 10/22 but I need a scope now.

Considering you want all the rounds possible in that roughly 1" bullseye I would go with a fairly high powered scope. 4x12 or higher. The rest of the story is going to be reading the wind and pace so you have time to spare to wait out gusts.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

This is something I would set a gun up for my daughter... but, no ranges or clubs in Illinois according to the ARA site. I have my range and do not belong to any ranges, that may change as I have a couple in mind. Not sure I could stir up enough interest to get a club together. It is not clear to me, is a semi-auto permissible? The rules refer to removing bolt at the end of the match, the 10/22 could be chamber flagged but that is about it. I see that my Contender carbine is not allowed as it is not a repeater. I am going to have to look into this further.

I do see that there is an active club in Cayuga IN... that is in range!

Boolit Master
    I have a B22 FVSR and while its a fine rifle and I used just this week for informal plinking with a tidily wink target, it is not in the same class as the above rifles. The magazine tends to mar the round until rough edges are smoothed with sand paper. The coned breech is nice and the chamber is fairly tight. The plastic stock flexes. In my opinion and experience, it does not hold up against the CZ even with better ammo. And I only gave a $100 more for the CZ.

Banned
    Tazman, I have a CZ455 and a Savage FV series. For the 50 foot indoor shooting I do the Savage gets the nod only because it is lighter and easier to hold standing. Otherwise it's the CZ. It seems to be just a taid bit more accurate outdoors, off the bench. The shortage of decent 22 ammo has prevented me from giving the two rifles a decent sise by side work out. Along with a Norinco action, Shilen barrel BR-50 rifle I have.
    I recommend the CZ455 of the Varmint version over anything else. For the price it's going to be just as good as the fancy German named rifles. Spend the rest of the bucks on decent scope, it's crucial.

Ken

I have a stock of top quality match grade ammo. The two CZ rifles I already own like it, as well as every other rifle I have tried it in.

My thoughts about the 10-22 rifles. While an auto loader can be a lot of fun to shoot, the odds of getting one accurate enough to do what I need are rather slim. Couple that with the need to put a trigger in it before I could consider using it for this puts them out of the running. I might have to buy several of them to get one that is accurate.
    I would buy one to play with but not for match shooting.
    The more I think about it, the more I think the CZ is the way to go. All reports I have read and seen say it is consistently accurate.
    Now, finding one will be the next issue. I have time. Next spring is a good way off yet.

Boolit Master
    ive got a bsa martini for really accurate shooting and a 1022 for fun and hunting.the bsa is amazingly accurate with sk magazine and pretty good with american eagle'

Boolit Master

Take a look at Some older Mossberg target rifles. They had excellent barrels.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I ran across a Winchester model 52 with the peep and front globe sights today. I know nothing about them.
    Price was $650.
    There were mount blocks on the receiver and barrel but I don't know what rings would fit them. Looked like target style mounts for the old stuff.

Boolit Master
    taz, if you want to try my rifle out sometime at the 25 yard range I'm a member, let me know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I ran across a Winchester model 52 with the peep and front globe sights today. I know nothing about them.
    Price was $650.
    There were mount blocks on the receiver and barrel but I don't know what rings would fit them. Looked like target style mounts for the old stuff.
    Taz,

I would buy it at that price. You can wring it out and see how it works for you. You will not lose anything if you decide to sell it.

I shot a M52 in University. Only the BSA Martini gave me higher prone scores.

I bought a M52 sporter a few years ago and I am ashamed to admit i have never shot "good" ammo in it; but it put junk ammo into 1" at 50 yards. For plinking that was good enough for me.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    In High School we shot 4 position indoor at 50 ft. The team had 4 rifles, two Anschutz and two Remington M54's. The top shooters always chose the Anschutz, myself included, but there was not much difference between the rifles, they all shot good enough for perfect scores prone, sitting and kneeling. I never saw anyone shoot a perfect score standing. On the targets we shot a perfect score was a bit smaller than a half inch 10 shot group.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

You might try a Match Barrel from Volquartsen on a Ruger 10/22. It would get you shooting and competative at that distance for a lot less money than an Olympic grade rifle.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

No modifications of the gun except for triggers in factory class. No barrel replacements allowed.
    Good idea but a non starter in this situation.
    If I were looking at shooting unlimited, it would not matter. Only restrictions in unlimited is the rifle must be chambered in 22lr.

Boolit Master
    My Savage Anschutz is not a repeater so I don't know if it qualifies but I shot it today and here are some of the groups.

This is at 50 yards off the bench

Wolf Match shot the best but I did not bring any of my Eley ammo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201011_135723[1].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	269205

Name:	20201011_135804[1].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	269206

Name:	20201011_123840.jpg