RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A good rifle for ARA benchrest shooting

No single shot rifles allowed in factory class. Rifles must be fed from a magazine. Either box or tubular is fine. My old Remington model 510 is out.

Oddly enough, while a magazine of some type is required, you don't have to use it during the event. You can feed the gun one round at a time as you wish. In my case, I bought a single shot magazine for my 452 trainer and it fits the 457 perfectly.
    Last edited by tazman; 10-21-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been thinking about a tikka tx1, worth taking a look at it.

Boolit Master

I would pass on the Win. 52. They are accurate but difficult to mount a modern scope on. They were set up for Unertyl scopes. The scopes are expensive 600-800 for a poweful one.
    Rimfire Central folks like the Tikka.

Boolit Master
    I beg to differ regarding the Win 52's being setup only for Unertl scopes. I have a 1946 Win 52B that I have set up for a Lyman targetspot 20x scope. I believe the bases for the Lyman and the Unertl are slightly different and not compatable with each other.

Boolit Master
    They work ok interchangeably.

Boolit Man
    Tikka T1x, most consistently accurate 22’s I have ever had. I just traded a cz 457 American that was not as accurate as I’d like for another Tikka. That makes 3 on the place now all will do what you are wanting to do. I know of 4 others they are all good shooters also. The factory trigger is easily adjusted and capable of getting into the pound and a half range. Let us know what you come up with.

A rare sporter version of the remington 513-t. Same match chamber just in a heavy bbl'd sporter configuration. I own 1 and it shoots light out. Anything under $500 is a steal for these rifles and this 1 is beautiful.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882319900

I'd be looking for a hb sporter to add to your growing collection of 22lr's. There's a lot of excellent high quality used rifles out there in the +/- $600 range. Take your time and look around you'll find remington 541-s, 541-t and 540xr's, japan made 52 sporters, savage anschutz repeaters, browning t-bolt sporters (excellent rifles), the early ballard rifling marlin model 80dl's to name a few. Any of these rifles will do what your asking along with adding a quality hb sporter to your collection.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882452465

Myself I wouldn't consider a Tikka simply because it's nothing more that an entry level bull bbl'd 22lr. There's a bunch of +/- $500 entry level bull bbl'd 22lr's out there. The tikka's bolt is it's weak link and there are tweaks out there to keep the wire extractor from scaring the next round. It has weak extraction and inconsistent fp hits that are hard to correct.
    FWIW:
    While the CZ's have 1 heck of a following the bolts on them are also their weak link. The bolts on the 452's can be corrected (+/- 5 hours) and the results are clearly seen on the targets. The 455's and 457's use a "common/1 size fits all" bolt face that allows the user to shoot anything from 22lrs to 17's to 22mags. The rim on the 17's and 22mag are 2/1000th's larger in diameter coupled with the built in + slip fit factor the 22lr cases have 4/1000's+/- of play/movement on the bolt face. This causes the leade of the chamber to center the bullet to the bore and words like canting come into play.

Anyway, a lot of choices out there, myself I made a check list of the different 22lr rifles that not only flat out shoot. They fill the different shooting needs & my list looks like this along with some of the rifles I bought for that list.

Quality bull bbl'd target rifles
    Anschutz 54, rem 40x, win 52d (2x)

Entry level bull bbl'd target rifles
    rem 540x, anschutz 64 actioned 10b

Military trainer
    mas 45 along with a rifle it was designed after mauser es340b

Full size sporters
    anschutz 54, rem 513-s, win 52b

Pencil bbl'd sporters
    rem 541-s (2x), cz lux (452), anschutz full stock 64 action

Just something to think about while your putting your $$$ out there. Same goes for scopes to put on these different rifles. I prefer sightron's myself owning target dot 36x (3x), 24x (2x), 6-24's (3x), 6-18.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12