Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nickel-plated Rifle Cases

I use them in my leather cartridge carriers so the leather will not cause tarnish. Works wonderfully! They also are slipperier than brass. I like using them for my hunting loads.

Boolit Master
    I got several thousand from friend in town cause he didn’t like them, 38 spl. So i use them cause they’re free, cant beat that price.

Boolit Master
    I got several thousand from friend in town cause he didn’t like them, 38 spl. So i use them cause they’re free, cant beat that price.

I use them in handgun and rifle. I prefer them in handgun and am indifferent towards them in rifle. I have necked 270 WSM down to 6.5 and up to 325 with no ill effects. I have shot the 6.5s 4 to 5 times - no cracks. They are more difficult to form, but I think they slide in the sizing die easier once formed. Lubing them is easier because the lube seems to be more uniform on the case. A dented shoulder is rare.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    if you get to reload 2 times you will be lucky most rifle will split at the neck
    30-30 may last 3
    This has been my experience with nickel.........it seems more brittle and tends to split quickly, compared to regular brass. Something to do with the plating process perhaps?

I have some nickel plated Hornet cases that were cut and formed to .22 Squirrel, they seem to be lasting as long as the brass ones. I have used nickel plated cases in a few calibers off and on for years and have had no issues at all reloading them.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I have a couple thousand of them .308. They were given to as new unfurled component brass.

They’re OK but I wouldn’t pay for them. Case forming to .300 sav is more of a pain that it’s worth. You can’t turn necks.... yada yada yada.
    They look nice a feed beautifully and are cortisone resistant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I think nickle plating was used on 38 special cases to prevent police officer's belt loops from turning green. At least that is what I heard.
    That's true. The chemicals used to tan some leathers used in cop's revolver ammo belt loops would cause brass cases to start going "green" within a few weeks.

The only reason to nickle plate rifle cases is it's marketing appeal to those who like shiny bright things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12