Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot peppers and more hot peppers...

Boolit Master
    i grew habaneros and ghost peppers this year and spent some time learning how to make nice hot sauce. 5oz woozy bottles are pretty affordable to make nice looking bottles. ill give the recipe incase someone's interested.
    after 4 test batches i ended up with

105g apple cider vinegar
    130g white vinegar
    105g onion
    110g carrot
    140g habanero
    80g sweet habanero
    75g red jalapeno
    50g bell pepper
    2tsp red pepper flakes
    2tsp black pepper
    2tsp garlic
    2tbsp salt
    1tbsp sugar
    .5tsp xanthan gum

yeild 25-30 ounces, and yes i did half in metric so i didnt have to deal with 2/3 ounces and all that mess

pretty much just cook all that a bit, let it cool, blend, put through a wire mesh strainer into your pot for boiling. boil for 20min with lid and in another pot boil water for the bottles funnel ect. caps i soak in vinegar instead of boiling. after 20 min put it all togather.

some notes:
    the carrot is (insert fruit or vegatable of choice here) carrot just makes a nice sauce texture. same with substituting pepper types but note thats already as hot as the average person would like to try.
    bullet style blender is far superior out of the kinds i tried. and getting it fine and putting it through the wire mesh strainer makes a nice texture.
    also not this isnt a good way to get rid of lots of peppers. i still had to dehydrate 2 loads and strung up 15 feet of peppers on fishing line to dry. and theres still more rotting on the plant.

Boolit Master
    and as for starting plants indoors i think the hard part is trying to get near the brightness of the sun. noon sun is 1,000 times brighter than average indoor lighting it just dont look like it cause your eyes sense brightness logarithmically. i bought the 6pack of cheap led 6500k tube lights and stack them beside each other an inch between them. and the blinding device you just made will get close to overall average outdoor lighting. if you can complement that with south facing window and or more optimised grow light to help get variety of light its better. for air i wired a 2inch computer fan up to my light timer. after all this i finally got stocky dark green plants

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I'm a wimp. Our jalapenos were extra hot this year. Plenty hot enough for me. My thai chilies packed a bit more wallop than I prefer, but they taste amazing! Keeps me singing Johnny Cash the morning after! It'd be pretty cool (no pun intended) to taste all the peppers without their heat. The range of flavers is pretty amazing!
    What makes a good pepper is that they have good taste not just heat. Some peppers may burn, but don’t contribute anything to the taste of the meal.

Moderator Emeritus

Dry the really hot peppers, grind in a spice grinder(wear a mask an goggles!), and store in airtight jars in the freezer. Add small amounts to recipes! A pinch of Reaper adds a LOT of flavor and some heat to chili etc.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd make some CR jelly out of some of them! I grew habaneros this year. Two plants and got 9 gallon zip lock bags full (so far). Cooked up some habanero jelly and it is awesome over crackers and goat cheese. One batch didn't gel right so I use that batch for glazing barbeque chicken.

Boolit Bub
    I love a good hot pepper or two...But them Reapers will just ruin the food for me. I'm trying to enjoy some complex flavors not melt off my tastebuds. But to each their own.

Boolit Master
    you can get seeds that are a hot thats bred or whatever to have almost all the heat gone. like right now i have numex suave orange seeds which is a habanero a few times less hot than jalapeno. looking back this year i should have grew alot more of them than the actual habaneros cause i cant give away real ones nobody will take them

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Personally I'd have to mix just a tiny pinch into Chili or the like; If I tried much of those I'd end up an EPA superfund site, I can hack garlic / Onion / Ginger but not much hot peppers. Enjoy though

(And I'll tease that there always is the weaponized option, make pepper spray out of it.)

Moderator Emeritus

Grind to a fine dust and fill paintballs with it....

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd need positive air pressure and a hood for that

I live 20 miles from the reaper people, Wish me luck!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12