Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: DIY Automating a 1050/1100 to process brass?

Boolit Bub

DIY Automating a 1050/1100 to process brass?

I finally have an RL1100 coming my way, and I'd like to automate it to process brass. Something like a Mark 7 seems like overkill.

I'm wondering if something similar to the Ponsness/Warren set-up would work and keep things fairly simple.

Has anyone tried something similar, or have suggestions for the parts?

You need a gear motor powerful enough to do the work you want, mounted in a position where cranks and a connecting rod can attach the two.

That will auto drive it if you want to automate it, you need to give it a little “smarts”. I used a PLC from Automation Direct, they call the “click”.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the PW AutoDrive on their 800+ reloader and it works well. They make a setup for the the 1050 for $1000. I would check on the Enos forums to see if others have used it and get their feedback. PW has been good to deal with and I assume they would not put out "junk".

My concern would be using it on rifle cases. I do not see how it can be powerful enough to resize military cases that have come out of a machine gun...my Rock Chucker struggles sometimes!!! It should work without issue on pistol cases with a bit of lube on them.

The AutoDrive has a slip clutch that avoids breaking something. If you decide to make your own drive, think about adding a "fail safe" device to protect your equipment.

I cannot justify $1000 to automate my 1050 but I would go with the PW unit if that was my desire. If I had the talent of Mr. Morris I would build something. With a surplus gear motor and some machining skills, you should be able to build one for less than $400.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    That will auto drive it if you want to automate it, you need to give it a little “smarts”. I used a PLC from Automation Direct, they call the “click”.

Thanks, I was hoping to get your feedback.

I have a small mill, so the attachment hardware shouldn't be an issue. Are you using a DC motor? I'm curious what size motor you're using, as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a PW on my 650. I got tired of replacing the indexing ring as it would break when a shell would hang up on the last station to eject the round. I guess the ring is a fail-safe device to prevent breakage elsewhere, but its a pain to replace and $$

The first one is a shaded pole gear motor, the 2nd AC gear motor.

This one is 240vac 3 phase driven off of a 115 vac single phase VFD.

IMO that’s the best way to go because it gives you lots of control and used 3ph gear motors are dirt cheap because people don’t know how to use them with low voltage, single phase power.

Automation direct GS1 VFD’s make it easy.

If you want a PW unit for a 1050, I think I might have one, if you are interested, I’ll look for it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    IMO that’s the best way to go because it gives you lots of control and used 3ph gear motors are dirt cheap because people don’t know how to use them with low voltage, single phase power.

Automation direct GS1 VFD’s make it easy.

If you want a PW unit for a 1050, I think I might have one, if you are interested, I’ll look for it.

Thanks, I'll shoot you a PM