MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Blade thickness for Browning A-5

Boolit Master

Blade thickness for Browning A-5

I’m trying to disassemble an A-5 receiver and was stopped in my tracks by the unusually thin hollow ground driver blade required on the exposed screws. Anyone know the required thickness of the blade? I’m guessing Brownells has these, but I didn’t know what to order as far as thickness dimension.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

The EASY button would be to grind a common screwdriver tip concavely to fit, as needed.

Alternately, you could get an inexpensive ($15) interchangeable tip gunsmith screwdriver.

https://www.amazon.com/Winchester-Pi...TF6YQN4G5JG74G

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You will probably need to grind to fit. Even good gunsmithing sets won't fit everything.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Hi,
    You might try :

https://artsgunshop.com/store/?filters=product_cat[33]

Parts & tools, and pretty good videos

Trapshooter

Boolit Master

I had a shop for years Brownells driver sets standard the thin set worked for me. Not cheap but cheaper than screwing up screw heads that cannot be found eh?

Going cheap sucks at times.

Boolit Master
    Yup you need really thin screwdrivers for an A5. I learned a lot watching this guys videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJ9lk0OUiA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You will probably need to grind to fit. Even good gunsmithing sets won't fit everything.
    If you buy enough sets you might find one to fit but then it might be to narrow. Best bet is to learn to grind to fit'
    Larry

Boolit Buddy
    Invest $3. in a set of leaf feeler gauges at your local auto parts and you'll know for sure and certain...

Boolit Grand Master
    Fitting screwdrivers to screw slots is the one place I like a Dremel type tool for gunsmithing.

Robert

Boolit Master

Brownells makes a 3 tip set for those guns. The tips are also available separately if you have handle. Do NOT try with the wrong size bits. Those screws are in tight!
    https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...tips&ksubmit=y
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Vendor Sponsor

OK as mentioned above you need to get the Browning Bit Set from Brownell's. IN fact a complete set of Brownell's Screwdrivers are in order if you are going to work on guns at all.

The primary place where guns get boogered is with ill fitting screwdrivers. The Brownell's Master Set is the best place to start.

Also,,, any info you need on Browning guns you can find on Youtube under "Arts Gun Shop.." Art is a real person, and his videos are accurate and very informative. He was a Gunsmith for Browning in St. Louis for 30 years and knows what he is talking about.

You can also talk to them by calling their shop during business hours and they will tell you just about anything you want to know.

They are good people and I have had several dealings with them and bought my Tactical A5 from them and traded strait across for it.

Can't recommend them enough, and I can't really recommend a Brownell's Screwdriver Set enough either.

Both are "must haves" for working these guns.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-10-2020 at 05:27 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Gentlemen, thank you for your comments and for steering me in the right direction on this.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!