WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
PBcastcoReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a bottom pour ladle worth the cost?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Looking at a bottom pour ladle for making bulk ingots.5-10 pounds.
    Bottom pour would be my very last choice if there were no other pots made. The spout will drizzle the melt and your ingots will look like hell. What you want is a Rowell ladle that drops 2-3 lbs of melt and any cheap cast iron pot off eBay. Making the ingots goes quick and the ingots will be smooth & even on the top
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    C’mon, John Boy... tell us how you really feel!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shootzemm58 View Post
    Where do you buy isotope containers, or should i say what type of business sells them?
    Scrap yards may have them in their lead scrap, and some individuals with a source may occasionally sell them in the S&S.

Radiopharmacies prepare radioactive materials for medical use. The materials come in lead/antimony alloy containers, most of which are decommissioned and scrapped after one use because it's not worth the manpower, time, space and shipping cost back to the cyclotron/breeder reactor.

I found the radiopharmacy I buy from on line (there tend to only be a few serving big population centers). They get food, more money and less hassle from me. The staff appreciate the snacks, and remind the manager to call me. He looks good to the company because he gets rid of "hazardous waste" while getting paid more doing it, and without any manpower cost to take it to the yard.

Back on topic: now that I think of it, even with a bottom pour ladle and conscientious skimming and oxide reduction, I still get a variable amount of "scum" on top of most ingots. It seems worse with what I guess could be described as a "turbulent" pour, where there's more splashing and swirling of the liquid alloy through the mold as it fills.

I read here about how just a long fall from spout to mold could encourage inclusions from oxide formation. Maybe this is more of the same?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12