Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Interesting book I'm reading

Boolit Buddy

Interesting book I'm reading

I once entered a comment on this forum and was not met with joy as I am Jewish and not Christian. However this has nothing do do with your beliefs but think you may be interested in it. I hope anyway. The book is titled The Cave and the Light by Herman. It's a history of religion and politics along with science that explores the beginning of thought from Socrates, Plato and Aristotle and how this all fits together. I'm only about half way through it and up to the 1300's but what's fascinating is the development of the Christian religion through history and how the various thinkers of the time tried to connect what is on earth (man) and God and how to bring the two together. There are so many unheard of,but extremely influential, thinkers of the day who shaped the Church through the ages. It's a bit of a hard read for someone like me who has very little exposure to the ancients but it's very well written. You may enjoy it if you like history of Christianity.

Boolit Master
    John, I'll look for the book. And, to you as a Jew, I apologise for the foolish and ignorant actions of a small percentage of those who claim to be Christian.

Boolit Grand Master

John, consider that as a Jew or rather, of the tribe of Judah, you have a whole lot more history than us poor Christians have! I read history as a hobby, now more than halfway through The Russian Origins of the First World War by Sean McMeekin. ISBN 978-0-674-06210-8

If you can post the ISBN # of the Cave and the Light it is easy to find. It is inside, on one of the first two or three pages of every book.

BTW, the book I posted the ISBN # of is a fascinating read for those interested in the WWI.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Boolit Buddy
    Wayne, the ISBN number is 978-0-553-80730-1

There's little appreciation today of the effects the Greek philosophers had upon later religion.

Boolit Master
    A lot of very smart men have long meditated on "comparative religions" and many such men have attempted to invent a better system when they "pull out the good parts of each one".

Self deluded but smart people often compare and reduce religions to various philosophies in which their invented gods think what they think; I respect those people a little and pray for them a lot. Fact is, they're often "good" but spiritually deceived people who're trying very hard to be wise you know!

On the other hand, a good number of truly wise men have long recognised that Christianity follows, not invents, the only religion with eternal meaning. No matter their level of education, wise people accept what God's Bible tells us about Himself AND ourselves. Humanity's only safe spiritual gathering place is at the foot of a single blood stained Cross, not at some special church house door.

Religious "smart" people have always tended to hate wise religious people because smart folk really do want to reform/deform God to fit their values and ways but, even those "smart" people know Jehovah God won't accept that.

Smart people know they can't harm God so, in frustration, his elect became their default target! Now, over some two thousand years of human history, a lot of Christian blood - young/old, men/women - has been spilled by Satanic religionists but Christ's own blood bought Church still stands.

Come quickly Lord Jesus!