MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Help with molds needed.

Boolit Mold

Help with molds needed.

Hello to the forum: i picked up 5 molds from an auction. They are all missing their sprue cutter plates and handle pins. I was able to make the handle pins by threading some drill rod and hardening it. My question is on the sprue cutter plates. Any idea on what type of steel and its thickness to use? They seem like quality molds worth saving. Any help will be Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201006_144215.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	268925appreciated. Thanks. Green 5Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201006_144232.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	268924

Boolit Master

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for your reply. That was my first thought also. Unfortunatly these are not lyman or lee molds.

Boolit Buddy
    1/4 in plate would do fine to make your own. cut out slightly oversize with a hacksaw, drill for the screw the plate pivots on, notch with a file for the stop. use a file to true up the outer sides while on the mold. Then find the center of the mold plate by using a scribe from corner to corner, to find the base center. Drill a .090 hole on this after centerpunching, then countersink the mold plate and polish the top and bottom of the sprue plate with 400 grit paper on a piece of glass. All there is to it! The toolman.

Boolit Grand Master

I use gauge stock for sprue plates. Usually Starret ground oil hardening. As JM described cut out the blanks form and drill the hinge hole. Now to locate the cavities or cavities. Lightly clamp the blocks in a drill press vise and line up with a close fitting frill carefully. clamp down securely close sprue plate against stop. hold and center drill. remove and drill pilot hoe then counter sink to size. A trick for a good finish is the last little bit turn the drill press by hand slowly. Deburr and polish on a flat surface top and bottom. If you really want a good sprue counter sink turn up a hard wood dowel to the angle then lapp it in

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input. That gives me a good starting point. I have some 1/4" 1095 steel to work with. I will see what i can do with that . Thanks again for the help.

Boolit Master

Handle pins are easily made from CSH screws from Ace Hardware. Take a mould with you and determine thread. Buy longer screws and cut to length. If diameter of head is too big, chuck in electric drill and turn head down with a file. I hate slotted head screws. Easiest way.

"The best way to find the easiest way to do a task it to assign the laziest man you have to do a task and monitor him until he does it to your satisfaction. He'll find the one that takes the least effort".

Over the years, managers have made a fortune on me as I'm lazy./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....