Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Did anyone ever make a 22 hornet lever?

Boolit Master

Did anyone ever make a 22 hornet lever?

?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master

You know... now that you ask... I have never seen a lever gun in Hornet. I have seen single shots and I think 1 pump and of course bolt guns. They were out there in 218 Bee and can be found from time to time just like the 25-20's. I am far from an authority.. but nope never seen one.

Boolit Master
    The 218 Bee and 219 Zipper in Winchester's and Marlin's, 223 in Browning BLR and Henry Long Ranger, 22-250 in the Savage 99(very Rare) and Browning BLR. I think that's all the center-fire 22's in Lever Guns that were factory made/cataloged in the USA. Be really interested if there were others. Marlin listed the 22 Jet in the Marlin 62, don't think any were ever made.

Boolit Master

I really wonder why the hornet was never used this way? The 218 Bee and 25-20 were not uncommon and are of a similar case design and the Hornet seems to be a more prolific round.

Boolit Master
    Someone in my greater family has a Savage 99 in 22 Hornet. Not sure which cousin. Uncle used to use it to shoot turkey buzzards.

Boolit Master

Savage cataloged a 22 High Power, but I have not found anything on a 22 Hornet version of it. If it is out there, that would be hens teeth.

Boolit Master
    Maybe Ruger will start making the Marlin Precision Levergun with some nice wood in the 22 hornet?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winchester, Savage, or Marlin never did. The .22 Hornet is probably too long for the 92 Winchester or 94 Marlin and too small overall for the 99 Savage.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I really wonder why the hornet was never used this way? The 218 Bee and 25-20 were not uncommon and are of a similar case design and the Hornet seems to be a more prolific round.
    the 218 BEE is just a necked down 25/20 - thats an easy switch - needs a flat point pill - no major changes to the action - the hornet much smaller diameter case - woulda been a headache in a 92 - seen some nice little bolt guns in hornet - they woulda been nicer in 218 BEE.

Boolit Master
    Not sure if a hornet would be too long fot a blackhawk cylinder ala raging hornet. But a scaled up marlin 39 with a blackhawk in .22 hornet might be an interesting combination.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    Yes, the Savage 99 came in 22 Hi Power, forgot that one, it shot 70 grain .228 bullets out of a necked down 25-35 case. It was born in 1912. It is still used in Europe, mostly single shots and drillings, called 5.6x52R factory loads are available. The Hornet is just a little long for the short lever actions, that probably why the 218 Bee was created.

Boolit Master
    If it were or was made it prolly should not be a tubular mag. gun, you wouldn't want to set anything off in the mag.

Boolit Master

With the numerous complete head separations that I've experienced in Hornets, that alone would keep me from wanting one. They are a pain in the neck in a bolt or a single shot even with an case extractor. Just my thoughts, others will likely differ.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    First lever gun I ever shot was a 22 hornet. 30+ years ago my uncle hands it to me and says take it out and have fun. I took it out and shot turtles and snakes. Like shooting a laser it was so accurate. I haven't shot that gun since, and I don't recall what make or model it was. I'm pretty sure it was Winchester or Marlin. I'll see if I can find out this weekend and let ya know.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    First lever gun I ever shot was a 22 hornet. 30+ years ago my uncle hands it to me and says take it out and have fun. I took it out and shot turtles and snakes. Like shooting a laser it was so accurate. I haven't shot that gun since, and I don't recall what make or model it was. I'm pretty sure it was Winchester or Marlin. I'll see if I can find out this weekend and let ya know.
    Are you certain sure it was a hornet??? --The 22 Hornet is too long for a 92 action - winchester made the 92 action in 218 Bee called it a model 65
    (pistol grip stock - bolt mounted peep sight)
    Last edited by indian joe; 10-17-2020 at 01:22 AM.

The Marlin Model 62 Levermatic was made in .22 Rem Jet, .256 Winchester, .30 Carbine, and .357 mag.

I don't think the Model 62 was quite long enough for .22 Hornet........or they would have chambered it for that round rather than .22 Rem Jet.

https://www.marlinforum.com/articles...Company%27s%20

If I could find a barrel I would love to build a .22 Hornet single shot Chicopee