MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionPBcastcoRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New casting gloves?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've done a lot of casting sans gloves, started in ~1968 when PPE just wasn't a thing. Not planning to keep that up tho. We all were invincible before we turned 21

A cheap pair of leather gloves when casting. I got the oven gloves cheap but haven't used them yet. I open the mould with gloved hand but they are primarily to prevent those little 'speckles' from getting on the hands when stirring or other tasks. Same reason for long pant legs, long sleeve shirt and safety glasses.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I've done a lot of casting sans gloves, started in ~1968 when PPE just wasn't a thing. Not planning to keep that up tho. We all were invincible before we turned 21

Yes our PPE was shorts, ball caps and sun glasses using all the chemicals in the Navy. That's why me making it to 70 will be like other people making it to a 100.

OK...I got my new gloves yesterday. I must say...the do stay cool when doing PC. It's the only test I've done so far but 400*F and the digits didn't feel a thing. Wearing my leather I sure would. There were times I couldn't get my fingers out fast enough.

I don't know when I'll get to smelting again...but I'm sure they will work just fine. It wasn't a bad $15 investment in my opinion.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Anything between molten metal and your skin is a good idea.

Flip flops, daisy dukes and a tank top.

Will NOT protect you when the tinsel fairy visits.

I wear leather welding gloves. A long sleev cotyon shirt. Jeans and a pair of boots.

Plus prescription safety glasses.

No one has ever said after getting molton lead on them "man im glad i didnt put in ppe for this project"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was a pipefitter for over 40 years. Used gauntlet type mill gloves for most of that time. They work well for smelting, too.

I like the idea of tig gloves for actual casting, though. That makes sense.

I'll have to check out those silicone gloves, they may have potential.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I like TIG gloves. They don't offer as much protection but they do have better dexterity.
    I also use Kidskin TIG Welding Gloves – XXX-Large, Kevlar Thread Welding Gloves

For casting, you don't need the amount of protection you do with smelting

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Glass blowers gloves .
    https://www.superiorglove.com/en/ext...gh-heat-gloves

One of many options , I've worked with rubber faced kevlar glove which was nice except for sweat and rubber face didn't shed heat fast enough .
    I used a plain knitted kevlar also which was great except for my paranoia about about spills and the sprue plate separating the knit .
    I have a pair of sleeves of a similar fabric to the linked gloves . They are exactly what the gloves should be .

The outfit above is only an example , but they do offer a sample pack .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to cast bare handed, and still seldom wear a glove on my left hand where I'm holding the wooden handles. Now I cast with some moulds that I treat delicately and cut the sprue by pushing the tab with my thumb instead of using a mould mallet. After trying several kinds of gloves for this job, I find the plain deer skin style glove does about as well as anything I've tried. They still have enough flexibility to pick up bullets to examine or retrieve dropped sprues. The bottom line for me is that each of us has to do what is comfortable and works for them.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Wear a welders glove on left hand, light leather glove on right (right handed). No problem. Works for me.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    i used a leather apron as i cast sitting down.a lap of hot lead wouldn't be fun.

Boolit Mold
    I use those exact gloves and they work great for casting. Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Welding gloves from Lowes. There is a difference in dexterity between the cheap ones and more expensive ones.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12