MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingPBcastcoReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New casting gloves?

New casting gloves?

I've been using leather heat resistant gloves but the index finger seam is starting to tear out...yes...I've been burned by a hot muffin pan.

I'm looking at the new Silicon Extreme Heat Resistant Grill Gloves (says it will protect to 1472*F (800C)). Has anyone used anything like this for casting/smelting? They look more flexible (comfortable) than the leather I've been using.

Any comments welcome.

redhawk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stock-pic-gloves.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	268922
    Last edited by redhawk0; 10-06-2020 at 02:20 PM.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

If I didn't already have a big stack of welding gloves, I'd try them.

I've got a pair of them to use in the kitchen like oven mitts, and they're OK.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I like TIG gloves. They don't offer as much protection but they do have better dexterity.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If I didn't already have a big stack of welding gloves, I'd try them.

I've got a pair of them to use in the kitchen like oven mitts, and they're OK.
    Yeah...I'm not a welder and my current gloves have served me for about 5-6 years. Doing up the 260+lbs of lead this weekend I got burned twice through that little tear in the index finger....its time to get some new ones. I figured if they are good enough for grill/oven work they should work just fine for holding a ladle/molds/ or flipping over muffin trays. I'm just not sure how they'd be if a splash of liquid got on them...could it get through the weave of the material. I have some heat resistance gloves that I purchased for the kitchen many years ago...they are great for handling hot pans/pots/sheets...etc....but If you get splashed with a liquid...you can still get scalded. Lead is more dense than water...so I'm thinking that lead might be stopped before reaching the skin.

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I like TIG gloves. They don't offer as much protection but they do have better dexterity.
    I use tig gloves also. Plenty of feel and protection. Regular welding gloves are too thick.

I think for the lousy $15...I'll take my chances....I'll "splash" a little lead on them when I'm not wearing them and see if anything gets through.

I'll report back in a few weeks when I get back to casting....my next several weekends are tied up with birthdays and hunting trips.

redhawk

You know...I'm not one to argue over gloves...If you don't wear them...fine. If you do....fine.

But when I'm handling 80+ lbs of lead in a cut off propane tank that is over 750*F....a cast iron 5 lbs ladle....and muffin pans that are in the 550+*F range when I dump them...I'm wearing gloves.

It really was just a simple question...has anyone else used Grill Gloves for hot work? Not trying to argue about the rights or wrongs of protecting your hands during hot work.

redhawk

Boolit Buddy
    For cooking range scrap it’s a pair of Oven gloves you see on Amazon and elsewhere. A cheap pair of leather gloves when casting.

Boolit Master

I've been using the TIG welding gloves for years. They afford plenty of protection and I have the dexterity I wouldn't have with heavy welding gloves. I tried casting with the heavy welding gloves many years ago and they were way too clumsy for me.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    RedhawkO, i bought the OVOS oven gloves and nothing has gotten thru now for a few years, they look like those you pictured but not as long sleeves tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    RedhawkO, i bought the OVOS oven gloves and nothing has gotten thru now for a few years, they look like those you pictured but not as long sleeves tho.
    Appreciated.

redhawk

Boolit Master

This is where I recommend Ove Gloves. They are pretty dexterity friendly and I keep a pair of long nose pliers to pick up the small flakes I might drop. They make me happy. ( Not getting burnt is actually what makes me happy). Mine are getting a little bit frayed but still work well enough.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

I still use the old doe skin leather work gloves not as heat resistant, but great for feel and dexterity. Not cheap but coat them with leather preservative like minks oil, neats foot oil or the like, and they stay flexible and supple for a log time. I put them on and get a little oil cream on fingers and rub it in good like Im washing my hands. Ths will also sreech them to a perfect fit for your hands.

Boolit Master
    While titled "New casting gloves", the OP described handing muffin tins and getting burned.

Seems there's casting bullets and casting ingots. Bullet casting, I like the dexterity of being gloveless, at least on one hand for handling pliers and screw drivers, etc.. The other hand has a light leather glove that is enough to protect me while culling hot casts and briefly handling hot equipment. Ingot casting and lead processing means a lot more hot metal being handled directly and so I wear welding gloves doubled up with inner knit cotton liners.

Banned
    for casting -- West Chester IRONCAT 6141 Premium Top Grain Kidskin Leather TIG Welding Gloves: at Amazon around $12.00 these are soft/suple and last a long time. Perfect for my casting style needs
    for smelting and removing trays of coated boolits from the oven -- regular wielding gloves

Boolit Master
    just basic deer skin work gloves ,still enough feel .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I've been using leather heat resistant gloves but the index finger seam is starting to tear out...yes...I've been burned by a hot muffin pan.

I'm looking at the new Silicon Extreme Heat Resistant Grill Gloves (says it will protect to 1472*F (800C)). Has anyone used anything like this for casting/smelting? They look more flexible (comfortable) than the leather I've been using.

Any comments welcome.

redhawk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stock-pic-gloves.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	268922
    Some poor reviews on Amazon. Was going to get a pair but decided not to. Will stay with welders gloves.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    The silicon impregnated type gloves, might be OK for smelting. I bought a pair of the OVE gloves to see what all the hoopla was about. I didn't like them because they are too sticky/grabby on just about any surface. I like heavy duty canvas gauntlet gloves. I'm use to them, from over thirty years of working in the pipefitting trade. I can easily wipe away smears on mould surfaces with a swipe of my finger. Cannot do that with the silicon ones. Sure the index finger tends to get thin over time but they aren't that expensive,can be bought by the dozen, off Amazon. I use them for smelting, too.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Would never cast a bullet without gloves. 32 years and well over 200,000 bullets. All casters get burns trying to limit mine.

Boolit Master

I've worn out a few pairs of deer skin gloves in 35+ years of casting. When smelting, I wear the longer welder's glove, cheap at Harbor Freight. When I worked in a welding/fabrication shop I just wore the brown cotton gloves. They wore out fast but were cheap. I even tried batting gloves for casting because the right glove always wore out faster and you buy the gloves one at a time.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast