RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Henry to shoot?

Boolit Mold

What is your favorite Henry to shoot?

I have six or seven lever guns now and my hands down favorite is the Henry Big Boy in .357 Magnum (also .38spl but I don’t shoot that). It is the most accurate I own and just fun to shoot. What is your favorite and why? If I have one upcoming to purchase what would you recommend? Doesn’t have to be a Henry of course, but I prefer something that is not too hard to find ammo for.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Andrew

Cast Hunter

I have the Henry Big Boy in .41 Magnum and just love it! Shoots 240 gn cast SWCs really well. My Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun is very accurate with cast, but the Henry has a magical draw on me.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Well it would be a Henry in 357. I havent found a cast 357 load it likes yet. Currently working a 190gr ranchdog over lilgun with 2" groups at 75 yards. With factory sights it might be as good as it gets.

(It has never seen a jacketed round except at the factory) try 38s in yours, especially when female or young shooters are around. It will be a favorite.

I have the Henry H010 45-70. It's truly a fun gun to shoot. I've taken 2 buck (back to back years with it in NH) and hope to take another this year. At 7lbs empty its a real dream to carry compared to my 9.5 lbs Ruger M77 MKII 30-06. (synthetic stock). I like that I can unload it by pulling the mag follower tube out and dump out the live rounds instead of cycling them all through a "live" chamber.

The only thing I didn't like about it from the factory was the sights. I replaced them with hi-viz sights - Red dot front and Green rear dots. The 16 3/4" barrel is short and target acquisition is very quick. Its just a fun gun to carry and shoot.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Henry big boy in 357 Magnum. It does particularly well with the Ideal 358-156GC or RCBS 163 grain flat nose (13 grains of H110). My only complaint is that I have worn out two transfer bars already-- not a good design. I put up with it because the rifle looks and feels so good and is fun to shoot.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Hick,

About how many rounds before the first transfer bar wore out? Ive got about 1200 thru mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    I only have one Henry...the little .22LR...so it is my favorite. LOL

I prefer the Marlin lever actions for rifle calibers....but lust for a Savage 99 in .358 Win.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite Henry? Hoo1 big loop 22 carbine. Looks like something John Wayne, or Lucas McCain(the rifleman) would have used AND it is threaded for one of my suppressors. Great fun.

Boolit Bub
    Henry Golden Boy in .22 mag.. Killer wood, smooth as silk.

Boolit Buddy

Mostly levers in my gun safe but only one Henry. It is a H001 in 22 rimfire and is the most accurate gun I own. 15 shots into one ragged hole.

Henry on the left, with some friends.

“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve been really enjoying the new Henry X Lever in 45-70. The sights are great for my older eyes and you can’t beat a side gate with a lever action. My Henry BB in 357 is sad it’s not getting as much range time lately.

Boolit Master
    have only one henry, its a 44 mag big boy with the large loop lever, I just love that beast. As soon as they're availible here I will be getting a 38-55 with the side gate.

Boolit Master
    I only have 1 the H001 so it's my favorite Henry. However a Win 92 in 25/20 is my favorite lever gun to shoot.

I also have an H001 and a Goldenboy. I love the Henry Co. but only am partial to their rimfires and IMHO the H001 is the best deal around in new leverguns.

I have owned a Henry BBS in 45 Colt for about 5 years and sadly I haven’t got to shoot it much. I have it scoped with a compact 4 X scope and it shoots jacketed bullets easily into 1 1/2” at 100 yards. I shot some cast boolit loads in it with 3 different types of cast bullets I have for the 45 ACP and wasn’t to impressed with the groups.
    I picked up a Lyman mold that is suppose to cast at .454 but with the alloy my friend uses they came out at .455 and are a bit to tight to chamber smoothly. I haven’t got back to getting or making a sizer to knock them down to .4535 but that’s what I want to try.
    This Henry begs me to take it deer hunting but it has had to hang out in the dark part of the gun safe mostly and that’s my fault for buying so many guns in the past couple years I haven’t got back to shooting the Henry.
    I do like it a lot and it feels pretty much like my Marlins but better finished.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 10-07-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite is my big boy 327 with peep sights fun and accurate

Kirb

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    Hick,

About how many rounds before the first transfer bar wore out? Ive got about 1200 thru mine.
    about 2000. The problem with mine is that the tip of the transfer bar gets dented by the firing pin head, until it begins to look like a spoon-- and eventually it just can't push the firing pin enough to get to the primer. Starts with occasional light strikes and then gradually gets worse and worse.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My favorite would be my .357 BB Steel. I put on a Skinner peep.

At some point, I would like to get one in 327.

I have two other Henry rifles - an older 22 Youth Model with the Brooklyn Address and a 22 Frontier model - both with butter smooth actions. The little Youth Model I like the compact size of - I put a scope on it and it did the job on woodchucks on the farm just fine.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	269064

Henry Genuine in 45 colt the replica is joy to shoot accurate and fun. Pretty too.

My favorite HRA rifle is the only one I own (so far). An X model H010X 45-70. When all the craziness dies down and prices/available stock return to normal, I plan to pick up an H012X in .44mag. Right now, they're only available on Gunbroker.............and are going for stupid money. I lucked out with my X model 45-70. Local store had one on the shelf for $150.00 or so below MSRP.

Also, whenever the 'regular' steel/wood H012 .44mag and H010 45-70 become available with side loading gates I'll probably end up with them too. At that point, I will have a harder time deciding which of my HRA rifles is my favorite.