Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Hepburn .45-70

Hepburn .45-70

One I built about 20 years ago from an old action. Bought it with a .457" octagon blank, and two chunks of wood I had Dave Crossno do a 90% inlet in his silhouette pattern, and fitted it with a Sharps buttplate. Dale Woody did engraving, color case, and rust bluing.
    Shooting this weekend at 650 yds. with friends. 480 gr. bullet, .45-70 Govt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyhm...brushLongshots

Boolit Master
    A fine rifle and good marksmanship too.

Boolit Master
    Beautiful.

Boolit Master

That's a beauty!

Boolit Master
    That is a sweet rig, I love when you post pics knowing I am going to get a treat for the eyes.

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice rifle. Whos sights are on it? Both my Hepburns are repos 1 C Sharps in 45-90 Green mountain 34" barrel has c sharos ling range soule and spirit level globe front along eith a MVA scope. The second is a DZ repo in 38-55 with 30" barrel no tang or globe just the DZ 8X scope.
    The C sharps is a real thumper on both ends LOL. But very accurate and simple operation from the sticks or prone. Havent shot the DZ yet.

The rear sight is a Long-Range non Soule type Lee Shaver used to make, but doesn't offer anymore. Front is a Winchester copy globe sight without windage. Both sights give me a disadvantage on windy days, as we had over the weekend. I had the rear sight aperture pushed all the way left, and still had to hold a full 3'-4' left of the dinger when shooting 1000 yds. to get on target. At 650 yds. I had it full left, and just held the left edge of the dinger to get hits.
    I'm probably going to change the rear to an MVA Soule long-range, and stick with the front, but change to a peep front aperture when I have a Soule rear. It's impossible to use Kentucky windage with a peep aperture up front now, but with more windage it would help with accurate shooting.
    I do have a full length scope for this rifle also, and long-range Malcolm style rear mount; so that might be something I may put back on it also. I just like iron sights, and at 70 yrs. old I can still see well enough to use them fairly well.

Boolit Master
    I wish I could have spent the day with you and your friends. To my mind that is the best kind of shooting. I introduced my Granddaughter to steel plate shooting a few months ago and she can't wait to go again. It is difficult since she is in collage in Texas. I had a chance to buy a Hepburn back in the early sixties. It was in good condition in 32-40. He wanted a hundred bucks for it but as was the case most of the time, I didn't have the money. Single shot rifles were just not that popular at the time.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice rifle. A MVA Long Range Soule would really make that beauty a performer.

I recall a passed opportunity to aquire a Remington Hepburn in 45-70 in 1983. Rifle had a good bore, case colored receiver was predominantly silver. Overall original finish on the barrel was 85%. However several flats on one side of the octagon barrel were deeply freckled and pitted, like it had been put in a damp sheepskin rifle case. Wood stocks were intact and in very good condition. Should of bought it!
    Rick

I am fortunate to own 4 Hepburn rifles in .45-70, .40-70SS, .40-50SS, and .32-40 Marlin Ballard. All but this one are originals, but this is my favorite shooter, and the most accurate at long distance. The .32-40 is a Match B rifle, and extremely accurate, but not a great long-range choice. I love shooting the Match rifle, but it requires it to be shot as a breech seater because the groove diameter of .327" wont allow fixed bullets to chamber. So I seat the bullets into the bore, and chamber a charged case behind it. In breech seating it shoots 1 moa or under with my 170 gr. cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    I do love a Hepburn!

You mentioned Dave Crossno doing the wood for yours. I didn't know him, but talked to him a few times when I bought a rifle he built. Naturally it was a Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    I do love a Hepburn!

You mentioned Dave Crossno doing the wood for yours. I didn't know him, but talked to him a few times when I bought a rifle he built. Naturally it was a Hepburn.
    I've had Dave's stock inletting work on 3 or 4 rifle builds I've done. He was a great guy, and if I called around 4:30-5:00 Oklahoma time Dave was out taking a smoke break, and would talk for an hour or more!
    When I purchased a pistol grip Ballard factory engraved barreled action years ago, I called Dave for some high grade wood to fit to it. He asked me a bunch of questions, and then told me he had exactly what I needed, and it was already built. He went on to say he'd done the stocks for his own Ballard, but he could build himself another set and sent his set to me. I was surprised, and very appreciative of Dave doing this.
    After Dave's death I got another stock set for a Rolling Block. But after Pam's death I heard the shop closed up, and not sure what's going on there anymore? If anything?

Boolit Master
    I suppose Pam was his wife? That's sad to hear. I have no idea if naming the rifles he built was standard practice for him, but the one I have he named Reba. Another BPCR shooter had it built and shot it a few years and Dave sold it for him. He named it Reba because the Walnut was deep red. He sure had some nice walnut and explained to me why. An education it was.

I've seen many of your rifles on ASSRA and must say you have fine taste! I'm amazed how you find such nice original examples.

Enjoyed your video. Especially loved the echoing of the shot going back and forth until it’s almost done and then the ding. Beautiful rifle and some fine shooting in a beautiful spot.

Boolit Master

I missed the video link earlier. Great video, really neat hearing that delayed ding!

Vendor Sponsor

DHDeal, The picture in your avatar is almost too small to make out but looks like it is a Hepburn too. Can you post a few pictures of it, assuming I am right? As best I can tell it looks interesting.
    I am a sucker for a Hepburn.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Indeed the avatar is the Crossno Hepburn I was yacking about. I have some pics somewhere that Dave took when he had it. I'll see if I can find them.

I believe the rifle was built for Hepburn4590 who posted on ASSRA (and still may). It is a 40/65 fwiw. Sweet rifle though I haven't shot it much lately.

Dave loved to talk stock wood, and why his area was one of the best for walnut. The short growing seasons made for a better quality, and Dave told me they used to go buy trees still standing, and after cutting them down they'd dig the root ball up and load them to take back to his shop. He said most people botched it when they cut down their own trees by leaving the best wood in the ground, so he preferred buying wood standing, and get it himself.