RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first casting attempt NEED HELP

Boolit Bub

first casting attempt NEED HELP

I will start with everything i did...melted WW "fluxed" with wood shavings and skimmed once, candle once (caught fire and stirred till fire went out) skimmed, borax once and skimmed, poured into muffin pans...loaded LEE 20/4 and turned to 9 all melted and got to 900F, added another muffin and temp fell to 720F. forgot to preheat mold (MP, aluminum, 6 cavity, 115 gr, 9mm) so i put on top of furnace and waited 15 min (drop of water sizzled and turned to steam)...started first pouring, sprue cut a little hard left bullets in mold to heat up mold, bullets came out wrinkled (no surprise), poured second cut sprue as soon as color changed still harder than i thought it would be but it is a 6 cavity, third pour all 6 filled good but sprue was very tough to open all 6 looked good...4 th pour and where i need advise... sprue would not open tried so hard i bent sprue handle and had to get hammer and flat punch to get open, 2 bullets heavy wrinkle and 4 looked great.

big question is whats up with the sprue.
    Last edited by HVACscott; 10-06-2020 at 11:09 PM. Reason: make a correction

Boolit Bub
    How long were you waiting between pouring and cutting the sprue? They'll cut easier when they are still hot (you don't want still molten, but a few seconds after the sprue puddle frosts over).

I don't have any MP 6-cavity molds myself, but have only heard good things..

Boolit Bub
    THANKS for the advise

i was thinking that may be my issue, being new at this i need to get my tools especially the sprue "hammer" in more convenient and same place , i was searching for it a few times costing me seconds i guess i don't have

This seems odd. I cast generally with 2 and 4 cavity molds but I always open them up with my gloved hand. Occasionally, the 4 cavity ones (when the sprue plate is still cool) require a little coaxing with a 1x2" that I have on hand. But generally, I open the sprue with my hands...

To bend a sprue handle is a little concerning.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    It’s hard to cut through cold lead... I only fill one or two cavities at a time until the mold has warmed up some.

Fill one cavity and then cut, fill next cavity and cut, fill third cavity and cut fill fourth cavity and then cut and dump out sprues and bullets. Next time I’ll do 2 cavities at a time. I don’t even look at the bullets for the first couple pours. Go as quick as possible while still don’t safe. The longer you wait between pours the more the mold cools down. Inspecting bullets wastes time.

Banned
    hard sprue cutting can bcaused by several things

1 letting the lead cool too much
    2 the holes in the sprue plate aren't sharp enough
    3 start filling from the sprue hinge out
    4 filling the cavities too slowly

wrinkled boolits always start by scrubbing the mold again with hot water, dawn dish soap and either a denture brush or toothbrush

720° is a good temp to cast at. adding a little tin/pewter will help with fillout often smoking the cavities lightly with a butane lighter.

occasionally I have had to polish the cavities to get them to fill/drop nicely.

what alloy were you using?
    how cold was the room/area you were casting in?

Boolit Master
    Waiting too long to cut the sprue. I don't use any 6 cavity molds, but a 4 cavity can need a little extra smack with a leather hammer for me when it's not to temp. Don't forget to preheat the mold. When you fill, pour some extra over the sprue plate to get it up to temp too. A too hot/cool mold can cause issues, but a too cool sprue plate will cause issues.

Boolit Master
    I always pre-heat the mould, even going so far as to flip it over on the hot plate so that the sprue plate is pre-heated. When filling any mould, let it overfill so that the melt helps to keep the sprue plate up to temp.
    With a 6 cavity I expect the first pour(s) to be rejects and also cut the sprue right after filling the last cavity. If using a bottom pour pot, get a good flow out of the spout, not a trickle, that'll cause wrinkles. So will to cold of a mould though.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master

You didn't say how long you have been casting. From the heavy handed angst that you posted, I assume - not very long. Starting "right off the bat", I think, with a 6-cav aluminum mold is aggressive, not foolhardy, but will take some finesse, even a few bad experiences before it irons itself out. You are learning On The Job and mistakes happen. Unintended consequences they're called. They happen to all of us. Don't feel too bad about that.

The Spru Plate MUST BE HOT, screwed "relatively tight" (not loose) to the mold (needing a tiny bit of lube to make it smooth and to preclude a "large" spru puddle forming between the bottom of the plate and the top of the mold, and sharp too!

If you fail to get the mold, its HANDLES, and spru plate nearly as hot as the melted alloy (there is a LOT of mass there), and a 6-cav mold needs a lot of pre-heat, you are going to get negative results. The srpu should take 5 to 10 seconds to cool "sufficiently", glaze over, frost even, prior to cutting. It should cut easily. If the mold and spru plate are sufficiently hot, the wrinkles will also disappear.

From experience with a similar Ranch Dog, TL358-100-RF, 6-cavity, aluminum, 100 grain, 380ACP mold, start at one end on the first pour. Start at the other end on the second pour. Pour one or two cavities at first. Let the entire mass of mold/handles/spru plate metals heat up before trying three, four, or up to six cavities at one time. If it isn't hot, it is going to bind. Better to bind (a little) on two cavities rather than six.

Don't try to ride that horse until it is HOT and ready. Your mold will tell you when it is ready. Do not force it to behave.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

And wait until the sprue has hardened - changed from glossy to less glossy, count a slow count to three, cut sprue and dump bullets. Immediately refill and repeat. Do not inspect boolits until you are done casting and they have cooled - don't ask how many times I've burned my fingers - but I'm ADHD to boot. When you have a pile of boolits they keep one another hot. Spread them out to cool while you are waiting for the sprue to change appearance.

If you get a small divot in the base of the boolit you need to wait another second before cutting the sprue.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    what wayne smith said.

Sound advice from all. What Landowner said is gospel. Don't beat yourself up to bad, this a journey, A journey with a ton of learning
    & constant, incessant variables. We ALL have had these problems, to some extent or other when we started. Remember, as you have already found out, it doesn't take a Silver back gorilla to cut a sprue, unless your doing something wrong !! Then that beautiful silver
    stuff gets pretty dog gone tough...Hang in there, it will all be as clear as mud soon..
    Take Care & be safe...

Banner Sponsor

I use a hot plate to pre heat my molds.
    If I keep getting wrinkles even when everything seems like it should be good, then I'll lightly smoke the cavities with a butane BBQ lighter. That usually solves my wrinkle problems.
    My sprue plate whacking stick is just that a hard wood stick about 12" long and a little over 1" thick, just big enough to be comfortable in your hand.
    A picture of the mold might help to see if you need a new sprue plate or if the one you have will still work.
    I ruined my first mold in one casting session.
    Luckily it was just a Lee 30-170, the bullets kept sticking and wouldn't fall out so I started tapping the side of the mold to smack them out. If the bullets get stuck, tap the handles to jiggle them loose.
    Also try running your WW around 750.
    I keep an Ingot mold under the spout and before I pour the first cavity, I open the spout for about 1/2 second to get rid of the cold lead drop that is on the bottom of the spout.
    Pour a big puddle on top of the sprue plate. Remember that when the lead cools, it will shrink, and you need a molten puddle on top so it will pull the liquid lead in to keep your bases crisp and flat without rounded edges.

I try to use 2 molds when casting as it helps with my cadence. I start filling the mold, say a LEE 6 cavity 9mm, put it down and grab a 4 cav 357 fill it and then grab the 9mm and dump it then fill again. I’ll do this fill and dump 3-4 times (until the bullets look good to me) then start keeping the bullets. Doing it this way, the bullet is cooled enough but the mold and spruce are still hot enough to cut easy. One thing I’ve found too is an ugly bullet (wrinkled a bit) will still shoot good at the distance I’ll shoot a 9 or 357. Good Luck.

Boolit Grand Master

This is the first time he's cast, let him master one mold at a time!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have 3 Lee 6 cavity molds. 4 and 00 buck as well as .452 230 grain TC.
    I've never had trouble cutting off the sprue. I have noticed that it is easier with the .452 mold as there is more lead going into it to keep it very hot.
    when I pour, I often run a stream of lead over all of the holes to keep the sprue as one piece. This also helps keep the cutter hot.

ETA... FWIW... I am VERY new at this. But it is very fun when things are clicking properly.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Three words of advise:

1. Practice

2. Practice

3. Practice

This is a very easy process, but only time and practice will get you "in the zone" of feeling what is right and what is not.

I ONLY use 4, 5, and 6 cavity molds. I heat the molds to FULL CASTING TEMP (not just warm!) on an electric hotplate, not on the edge of the casting pot. My boolits drop 100% on the 1st drop by preheating. Get yourself a good hotplate.

And your rhythm of filling and dropping just comes with practice. Nice thing is - - - all your mistakes easily re-melt!

Just keep at it and you will figure it out. Remember, we are not putting a man on Mars, we are just simply melting lead.

banger

Boolit Master
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...dleMusings.htm

Read this article from Glen Fryxell, a fount of knowledge for a new caster.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    This is the first time he's cast, let him master one mold at a time!
    Heck, I’ve been casting for 5+ years and still get aggravated anytime I try and run 2 molds at the same time.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't get discouraged , read all the suggestions , refine your technique and keep casting .

We all cast a lot of bad boolits before we learned how to cast good boolits.
    The only way to learn how to cast boolits is to cast boolits .

Pour the last sprue puddle , slow count to three and open it up . Watch the block tops for smears , if you see smears , slow count to five and open ... clean off the smears, they will just ruin your mould if left in place .

Read all the chapters 1 - 8 , of "From Ingot to Target" by Glen Fryxell , the link in post #18 ! Great Read .
    I printed a lot of it and made a booklet for myself .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-06-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast