MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: PID's etc.

Boolit Bub

PID's etc.

I'm not sure if there is a more suitable spot. I sometimes find the forum a bit... confusing.

Anyway, I want to build a pot for processing lead. This means I'm going to want a PID and thermocouple to run it. I'd prefer a "learning" unit so it cut back on temperature overshoots. I'm not worried about time, but I am worried about mixing inappropriate metals and fumes.

My thoughts are a cheap one burner countertop "range", gutted, run on maximum all the time, with power controlled by the PID. I think this will let me get the control I want and the capabilities too.

So, can anybody tell me about appropriate and affordable PID's? I haven't bought one in approaching two decades. I should also mention I live in Canada so sometimes suppliers are problematic...

Thanks

Boolit Man
    The ones I've built use InkBird branded PID units that are probably available anywhere that China can ship to and industrial surplus Omron solid state relays to supply power to the heater. I build mine with outlets for power and thermocouples so they can be used with multiple appliances (lead pot, toaster oven, hot plate, etc.).

PID's etc.

Your cook top range or ‘hot plate’ likely will not keep much lead hot enough.

Boolit Master
    Double Post LOL
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 12-20-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    My inkbird was junk. Worked but not well. Auber Instruments is a couple bucks more but they sort out the garbage and offer support.

Common range elements top out at 2500 watts at 240 volts. Depending on efficiency you could do 50-80 pounds in reasonable time.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    Your cook top range or ‘hot plate’ likely will not keep much lead hot enough.
    Minor issue. If I have to I'll build a 220v plate. I'm trying to avoid that though. Value village sells the plates for a few bucks.

PID's etc.

As a side note to the OP question, knowing the wattage these 110V hot eyes use I didn’t think they would work but I ran down to the Dollar General and picked up a $12 one to try. 1000watts was all they had. We’ll see what she does.

...no luck. As I thought it just got to 650F per the heat gun but not effective to melt or even keep molten liquid.

Last edited by Stewbaby; 12-20-2020 at 08:14 PM.