RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Navy Railgun

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    FWIW, many of the current artillery/gun ballistic computers take into account earth curvature, changes in elevation and rotation of the earth during the flight of the shot.

The current generation of guided munitions with high speed processors and sensors are making a lot of that kind of stuff not as important.
    Plane and simple distance + elevation. It sounds like it can shoot in a straight line over the horizen on open water. Eventulay with out uplifit it would just hit water with out loosing speed or drop.

I could be wrong as im a computer scienets not a rocket one. Computers are harder.

Also im a former cannoneer from the army.
    So i understand a littel bit about direct/ indierct fire from a cannon.

I was in when the computers took over the calculations.

We went from stop and fire for effect bieng 3 hours to 30 seconds. And started hiting a soada can every time. With a howetzer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by flyingmonkey35; 10-17-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    The electromagnetic catapult is more of a coil gun than a rail gun. Very similar to a staged version of maglev trains. More efficient than steam, much less wear and tear, although efficiency doesn't really matter when you've got a nuclear power plant on board.

It's still experimental, so much like the CV-22, it's definitely going through teething pains in terms of mean time between failures, but in time it will absolutely prove superior. The level of control and precision is just something you can't get out of steam for launching things like UAVs.
    I actually worked on that system. Provided mechanical support during testing on EMALS (ElectroMagnetic Aircraft Launch System) at NAS Lakehurst along with it's compliment AAG (Advanced Arresting Gear). Certainly troublesome but when the kinks are worked out it really will work. My understanding is there are two ships outfitted with it at this point, sea trials incomplete.
    Steam is still the dominant system but EMALS and AAG offer a broader weight/speed capability.
    Last edited by JSnover; 10-17-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Both are based on moving electromagnetic field. Like the old SEATAC levitating train. There was a plan at one time to make a hiway with that principle. IIRC Musk is using it.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12