WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: 1st try with PPB

Boolit Man

1st try with PPB

Was finally able to get out yesterday and try shooting some PPB out of my Shiloh 45-70 LRE, there were 3 different Bullets I tried, one set from Rob (rfd) sent me and the other from Matt (bpcr shooter) over on Shiloh forums had sent me to try, one was a DD the other two a straight wall .443 all were 500gr, I'm not experienced enough to tell the difference in how they preformed, they all shot good, over a load of 80gr 2F Goex 75gr and 70grs of the same, filled from a long drop tube I made from an old arrow, a .060 card wad on top, the only compression I did was to make sure the card was level so bullet would sit flush on top. All three bullets had slightly different points of impacts of course, I expected that. I only shot them from 100yrds at a six inch target, as I wanted to check consistency of the load and bullets, not my shooting ability. I will say the majority all went into the target, had a couple of flyers that were just outside but I'm sure that was me not the load. I first shot three of my greasers just to make sure my zero was good and they were a nice group with the last being dead center in the bullseye, so I know those shoot well and if I ever hunt with this that's probably what I'll use, I then cleaned barrel good and started with the PPBs, I didn't get any in the bullseye but they were all on target, biggest observation for me is I wiped after each shot and the fouling in the barrel was a lot less before I wiped with the PPB than with my greasers and it was easier to run a patch down the barrel. When I look down the barrel after firing a GGB it looks fuzzy down through there, after the PPB it just had a matte appearance and wiping patches went through the barrel a lot easier. I also like the fact that I can get so much powder under the bullet as opposed to my GGBs. I could easily get 81 to 82 grains in there (more if I compressed it) but stuck with 80, then just because I loaded some at 70 and 75. No big difference in shots other the POI, which I'm sure would be a lot more exaggerated once I get to 300yrds and farther, Which I plan to do later this week just to try it out and see. So basically I did like shooting them over the GGB. Thanks again rfd Rob and bpcr shooter Matt, just gives me another reason to go shoot, like I need one. Also it was a perfect Sunday afternoon for shooting, cool weather and no wind at all which is strange for SW Okla.
    I should have took a pic of target!
    Chris W.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PPB.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	268857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyShiloh.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	268858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyShiloh2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	268859

Nice , and great looking rifle !!! I am about to start my papper patch journey soon . Trying to decide on the Money bullet mold or the Elliptical . Thinking i might go with the .443 Elliptical and 9# onion papper for my .450 Bore ? Not sure yet , still reading and researching lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FarNorth45 View Post
    Nice , and great looking rifle !!! I am about to start my papper patch journey soon . Trying to decide on the Money bullet mold or the Elliptical . Thinking i might go with the .443 Elliptical and 9# onion papper for my .450 Bore ? Not sure yet , still reading and researching lol
    yes, the elliptical BACO Jim443530e. fidelity 9# paper from papermart.

Boolit Man
    Why Fidelity 9# and not the Seth Cole or Onion paper from BACO? Paper seems to be like molds everyone has a favorite or is one better over the other or just different thickness?

Banned

it's all about what yer gun appreciates.

Boolit Man
    What paper are you using Rob, I'll just start stocking up on what ever that was you had on those bullets you sent me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mongo40 View Post
    What paper are you using Rob, I'll just start stocking up on what ever that was you had on those bullets you sent me.
    chris - no need to buy any paper, enuf for many years of wrapping is headed yer way.

Match your bullet diameter and paper thickness to fit your bore diameter.
    The .443" diameter bullet is a good diameter for most paper that is easy to find.
    Patch that bullet for a snug fit to the bore diameter but not so tight that you have to use a tool to seat the round to close the breach.
    A too tight fit will change the compression and that changes the impact of the bullet on the paper.

Boolit Man
    Thanks Rob, I guessing you threw some in with that Mold!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mongo40 View Post
    Thanks Rob, I guessing you threw some in with that Mold!
    nope, wouldn't fit, separate priority mailing, went out this afternoon

Thanks Rfd !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Match your bullet diameter and paper thickness to fit your bore diameter.
    The .443" diameter bullet is a good diameter for most paper that is easy to find.
    Patch that bullet for a snug fit to the bore diameter but not so tight that you have to use a tool to seat the round to close the breach.
    A too tight fit will change the compression and that changes the impact of the bullet on the paper.
    Thanks Lead Pot , I'm looking forward to the Journey. I'm sure winter will keep me slowed down on the process . Here before long i will only see my house in the daylight on weekends ha!ha and that is only for a few hours each day !!

Boolit Man
    Thank goodness for the internet or those of us with no range around where guys are doing this type of stuff and shooting BPCR would never be able to figure out all the little nuances!!! All the different techniques to try and tricks to getting things done from two dozen different fellas is priceless as opposed to one persons advice from a book. Don't get me wrong I've been doing plenty of book reading on the subjects also, no stone unturned!!!

Chris W.